The Well-Dressed Man

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7793
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by Jadagul »

I have one nice luxury watch. And it's nice to have something to wear with suits---one of the few acceptable pieces of male jewelry. (Though I wear it as a daily, when I'm leaving the house and wearing watches, which isn't now.)

But I wouldn't have it if I didn't inherit it from my father.
User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 20189
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: Elev. 5280 ft

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by Hugh Akston »

Stick it to the Man, Rawiri Waititi
New Zealand's parliament backed down Wednesday after ejecting a Maori lawmaker because he refused to wear a tie, allowing him to speak without an accessory he labelled a "colonial noose." The issue flared on Tuesday when Maori Party co-leader Rawiri Waititi was ejected from the parliamentary debating chamber for not wearing the required attire during question time.
Waititi was elected to parliament for the first time last year and in his maiden speech recounted the tale of an ancestor who was wrongly hanged by the British for murder.

"I will adorn myself with the treasures of my ancestors and remove the colonial noose around my neck so that I may sing my song," he said as he removed his tie.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 25699
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by JasonL »

We can probably safely close (clothes?) this thread down. The battle is over, pajamas won. I've been converted. It was already going anyway but COVID killed more fashion sense than people by a mile.
User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 19401
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by lunchstealer »

JasonL wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 19:15 We can probably safely close (clothes?) this thread down. The battle is over, pajamas won. I've been converted. It was already going anyway but COVID killed more fashion sense than people by a mile.
I refuse to wear pajamas out of the house. I mean to take out the trash, sure, as long as it's after dark, but otherwise, nope. Same with sweatpants if you're not going to an exercise-related event. I have worn Uggs out of the house, but only because my other winter-weather boots were wet or lost or I just forgot. Uggs are really great as slippers because they give enough support and keep you warm, but they are not shoes for actual humans.

But I gotta admit I almost never find an occasion where I don't feel overdressed in an oxford or even a plaid button-down anymore.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7793
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by Jadagul »

lunchstealer wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 17:51
JasonL wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 19:15 We can probably safely close (clothes?) this thread down. The battle is over, pajamas won. I've been converted. It was already going anyway but COVID killed more fashion sense than people by a mile.
I refuse to wear pajamas out of the house. I mean to take out the trash, sure, as long as it's after dark, but otherwise, nope. Same with sweatpants if you're not going to an exercise-related event. I have worn Uggs out of the house, but only because my other winter-weather boots were wet or lost or I just forgot. Uggs are really great as slippers because they give enough support and keep you warm, but they are not shoes for actual humans.

But I gotta admit I almost never find an occasion where I don't feel overdressed in an oxford or even a plaid button-down anymore.
If a button-down makes you feel overdressed, that's the perfect time to wear a suit. Suddenly you're not overdressed, you're deliberately doing a bit.
User avatar
lshap
Posts: 104
Joined: 04 Jul 2011, 21:44
Location: Flori-duh

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by lshap »

He atones for being occasionally somewhat overdressed by being always absolutely over-educated. He is a very modern type. - Wilde

One of my favorite quotes. I think it was my sig once.
-linguist
User avatar
Rachel
Posts: 2723
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 19:50

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by Rachel »

My co-worker accused me of being "fancy" today (on Zoom) because I was wearing a cardigan.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL
User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 17761
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by Aresen »

Rachel wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 00:02 My co-worker accused me of being "fancy" today (on Zoom) because I was wearing a cardigan.
I always change out of my sweats for a zoom call.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 19401
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by lunchstealer »

Aresen wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 00:19
Rachel wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 00:02 My co-worker accused me of being "fancy" today (on Zoom) because I was wearing a cardigan.
I always change out of my sweats for a zoom call.
I carefully explain that my security software keeps my laptop from recognizing the camera on my external monitor and IT won't fix it for a zoom call.

My security software is a piece of cardboard over the camera.

The exception was my friend who kinda didn't let me talk my way out of their zoom drag queen bingo event.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
User avatar
dhex
Posts: 16531
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by dhex »

Rachel wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 00:02 My co-worker accused me of being "fancy" today (on Zoom) because I was wearing a cardigan.
Tell Oscar to fuck off back in his garbage can.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 25699
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by JasonL »

For clarity - athleisure is pajamas in this model.
User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 20189
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: Elev. 5280 ft

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by Hugh Akston »

JasonL wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 09:52 For clarity - athleisure is pajamas in this model.
I just bought ten new pairs of athleisure pants. I'm also considering ditching button-down shirts in favor of blank tees when I do go back to work at the office.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 19401
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by lunchstealer »

JasonL wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 09:52 For clarity - athleisure is pajamas in this model.
Ah I consider athleisure to be sweats.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
User avatar
Rachel
Posts: 2723
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 19:50

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by Rachel »

dhex wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 08:55
Rachel wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 00:02 My co-worker accused me of being "fancy" today (on Zoom) because I was wearing a cardigan.
Tell Oscar to fuck off back in his garbage can.
This would be even funnier if I had been wearing my Oscar the Grouch fleece pajama pants that day. Alas, no.

These year I have bought a lot of cheap black leggings that I would wear out the house to run errands and stuff in warmer weather. I don't know how I'm going to get used to wearing real clothes again when we go back to the office (I have never met my co-workers in person). One thing I know for sure I am NOT wearing heels. Even though Jadagul gave me the best advice I've ever received on how to walk in heels some years ago.
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 30854
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by Warren »

Rachel wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 19:50 ...the best advice I've ever received on how to walk in heels...
Just walk around like you're in mag-boots?
The opinions which are still persecuted strike the majority as so monstrous and immoral that the general principle of toleration cannot be held to apply to them. But this is exactly the same view as that which made possible the tortures of the Inquisition. - Bertrand Russell
User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 18883
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 30854
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by Warren »

dbcooper wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 08:46
Needs cigarette holder and monocle. Mustachio should be twiddlable.
But we're firmly in lash-her-to-the-tracks villain territory here.
The opinions which are still persecuted strike the majority as so monstrous and immoral that the general principle of toleration cannot be held to apply to them. But this is exactly the same view as that which made possible the tortures of the Inquisition. - Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Number 6
Posts: 3523
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:41

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by Number 6 »

So, the German muckity-mucks wore steampunk helmets. Interesting.
Middle America is bestest America
User avatar
JD
Posts: 12589
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by JD »

Number 6 wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 11:12 So, the German muckity-mucks wore steampunk helmets. Interesting.
Pickelhaube is the term you want to Google here. They ranged from fairly simple 'army helmet with a spike' to seriously Flash-Gordon-looking things. Fun fact: the US Army dress uniform in the late 1900s included a pickelhaube, as does the uniform of the royal Household Cavalry of the UK to this day.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 17761
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by Aresen »

JD wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 09:50
Number 6 wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 11:12 So, the German muckity-mucks wore steampunk helmets. Interesting.
Pickelhaube is the term you want to Google here. They ranged from fairly simple 'army helmet with a spike' to seriously Flash-Gordon-looking things. Fun fact: the US Army dress uniform in the late 1900s included a pickelhaube, as does the uniform of the royal Household Cavalry of the UK to this day.
So do some parts of the Chilean Military in their Dress Uniforms:

Image

In the late 1800s, the Chilean Government decided they needed to upgrade their military, so they hired some Prussian officers to help.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 20972
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Aresen wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 11:19
JD wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 09:50
Number 6 wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 11:12 So, the German muckity-mucks wore steampunk helmets. Interesting.
Pickelhaube is the term you want to Google here. They ranged from fairly simple 'army helmet with a spike' to seriously Flash-Gordon-looking things. Fun fact: the US Army dress uniform in the late 1900s included a pickelhaube, as does the uniform of the royal Household Cavalry of the UK to this day.
So do some parts of the Chilean Military in their Dress Uniforms:

Image

In the late 1800s, the Chilean Government decided they needed to upgrade their military, so they hired some Prussian officers to help.
Hence the 15 yard penalty in football for "spearing."
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 30854
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by Warren »

Wait. I thought it was sporting equipment. Like mock dueling. You know, take five paces, turn, and toss rings at each other.
The opinions which are still persecuted strike the majority as so monstrous and immoral that the general principle of toleration cannot be held to apply to them. But this is exactly the same view as that which made possible the tortures of the Inquisition. - Bertrand Russell
Post Reply