The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Kolohe

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Kolohe »

It was fascinating to see in the first episode (w Rita Moreno) Frank Oz hadn't settled on the now iconic Miss Piggy voice. It was a bit more Janice-like in that episode, and the Piggy voice was used for an entirely different one-off ensemble character.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

I'm watching the latest dadsploitation movie, Nobody. Now the inciting incident is beating up some guys because they were drunk and got on a bus? They're really have given up.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Fuck that $5M Netflix garbage. Joyless shit.

I'm watching Out for Justice. Made with the technical quality of a Lumet crime film, and dumb as fucking shit. I love it.
dhex

Post by dhex »

dbcooper wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 07:49 Fuck that $5M Netflix garbage. Joyless shit.

I'm watching Out for Justice. Made with the technical quality of a Lumet crime film, and dumb as fucking shit. I love it.
Hey who's hot dog is this?
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dhex wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 08:08
dbcooper wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 07:49 Fuck that $5M Netflix garbage. Joyless shit.

Hey who's hot dog is this?
Fuck his fucking eye out.

More to the point, when exploitation movies even lived up to that derogatory description:

In America, there's a burglary every 11 seconds, an armed robbery every 65 seconds, a violent crime every 25 seconds, a murder every 24 minutes and 250 rapes a day.

Real blanks, real squibs, real gangs of killers.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

BTW, originally Seagal had intended it to be a two and a half hour Godfather style epic called "The Price of Our Blood". Seagal delivered solioques and thought he was getting an Oscar nomination. The studio correctly determined that there was about 90 minutes of movie there.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

dbcooper wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 11:02 BTW, originally Seagal had intended it to be a two and a half hour Godfather style epic called "The Price of Our Blood". Seagal delivered solioques and thought he was getting an Oscar nomination. The studio correctly determined that there was about 90 minutes of movie there.
20yo lunch loved Out for Justice et al. Now Seagal is just a sad belligerent joke.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

lunchstealer wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 14:06
dbcooper wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 11:02 BTW, originally Seagal had intended it to be a two and a half hour Godfather style epic called "The Price of Our Blood". Seagal delivered solioques and thought he was getting an Oscar nomination. The studio correctly determined that there was about 90 minutes of movie there.
20yo lunch loved Out for Justice et al. Now Seagal is just a sad belligerent joke.
He had that string of three word titled films that did well, but he was unintentionally parodying the genre from the start. You really have to suck at acting to get multiple reviews saying "Like a Stallone or Schwarzenegger movie except with worse acting."
dhex

Post by dhex »

That is simultaneously astounding and also the most believable thing I've ever heard. His self regard could power the space station.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Kumiko the Treasure Hunter. Finally someone had the courage to make an indie movie about a mentally disturbed loner who teaches us about the absurdity of modern life through lots of languid long takes and awkward silences.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Hugh Akston wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 21:43 Kumiko the Treasure Hunter. Finally someone had the courage to make an indie movie about a mentally disturbed loner who teaches us about the absurdity of modern life through lots of languid long takes and awkward silences.
They made a movie about me? How do I get paid?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 23:37
Hugh Akston wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 21:43 Kumiko the Treasure Hunter. Finally someone had the courage to make an indie movie about a mentally disturbed loner who teaches us about the absurdity of modern life through lots of languid long takes and awkward silences.
You're awkward enough but you've got to work some more on languid.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 23:45
I'll try to work on being less interesting. Less energy is probably not an option. Though it sounds like a lot of work. I have trouble sitting still.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 11:26
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 23:45
I'll try to work on being less interesting. Less energy is probably not an option. Though it sounds like a lot of work. I have trouble sitting still.
I too find am finding it difficult to stay in one place. And utterly impossible to stay in two places.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Warren wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 11:28
And utterly impossible to stay in two places.
That's because you're not anywhere at all.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

dead_elvis wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 12:37
Warren wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 11:28
And utterly impossible to stay in two places.
That's because you're not anywhere at all.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Found out the idiot in laws have been paying for HBO max. They finally have a use.

Watching Harley Quinn. It's way better than it should be.
Last edited by Pham Nuwen on 25 Apr 2021, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Swedish sci-fi flick Aniara plays with the story line of a disaster aboard a colony ship making a routine run between Earth and Mars, and how it affects the crew and passengers. Being Swedish, it isn't afraid to ignore the Hollywood pacing and ending in favor of something a little more bleak.

I'm still thinking about it after 3 days.
JD

Post by JD »

My wife Amanda and our friend Bart couldn't believe I'd never seen Borat, so we put it on the other night. By about 15 minutes in, they'd said, "I think I blocked this part out of my memory" about ten times.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Warren

Post by Warren »

JD wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 12:19 My wife Amanda and our friend Bart couldn't believe I'd never seen Borat, so we put it on the other night. By about 15 minutes in, they'd said, "I think I blocked this part out of my memory" about ten times.
:lol: Did they make you sit through the whole thing?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
JD

Post by JD »

Warren wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 14:23
JD wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 12:19 My wife Amanda and our friend Bart couldn't believe I'd never seen Borat, so we put it on the other night. By about 15 minutes in, they'd said, "I think I blocked this part out of my memory" about ten times.
:lol: Did they make you sit through the whole thing?
Actually, we got through maybe 25 minutes tops before we kind of agreed that I got the gist of it.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I have blocked pretty much all of it except the part where two naked guys wrestle! I remember that! :lol:

Looking for something else about the movie I found this, which has some interesting info about shooting the movie that I didn't know! https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/bo ... d=43138286
Like baptists at the glory hole

"oh dear" they mutter, unzipping their pants

-dhex
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

This table reading of the never produced Commando II script is absolute gold.

It was written in deliberately over the top style by Steven de Souza of Die Hard, 48 Hrs, Commando, and The Running Man fame.

https://poddtoppen.se/podcast/145073704 ... commando-2

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/c ... 0455878316
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

The original Overboard with Goldie & Kurt wasn't very funny, but it was kind of sweet. The biggest issue was the loosey-goosey pacing, which is fine if you do it to let characters breathe, but it felt more like they were stretching scenes to pad the film.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper