The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Pham Nuwen

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Warren wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 19:39
Pham Nuwen wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 18:59
dhex wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 16:57Baby Yoda sucks.
Boooo! Everyone boo this man!! Boooooooooooo!
No no. He has a point.
*heart*
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
dhex

Post by dhex »

Look in your heart. You know it to be true.

Seriously he's a plot albatross.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Blind Fury. With the right script and good fight choreography, Rutger Hauer as Zatoichi should have been a badass 80s action movie. But they decided to veer into family/comedy territory by giving him a bratty child sidekick and comically inept goons to fight. What a waste of Hauer, Sho Kasugi, and Randall "Tex" Cobb's talents.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

dhex wrote: 20 Nov 2020, 10:22

I would have disagreed before this last episode, but you got in my head and I was thinking of this comment through BYs grooting and macarooning.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Kolohe wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 15:27
dhex wrote: 20 Nov 2020, 10:22

I would have disagreed before this last episode, but you got in my head and I was thinking of this comment through BYs grooting and macarooning.
Well, not to pick nits, but shooting the albatross in the Rime was the real or metaphorical cause of the Mariner's misfortunes, but Baby Yoda for better or worse is the plot so far. Yeah, the character has been drifting into Jar Jar territory, although I thought eating the frog eggs was hilarious. But really, what the hell is the story about if not about Baby Yoda? If you want to say the show would be better with a different plot, well, okay. But it isn't as though Mando is a particularly interesting character by himself.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I just assumed it would veer into Boba Fett redemption arc by now. It's campy and fun. My kids love it. Shrug. Also. Carl Weathers is hilarious trying to be serious and tough. That may just be me though.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

It’s still good, don’t get me wrong.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 16:04 I just assumed it would veer into Boba Fett redemption arc by now. It's campy and fun. My kids love it. Shrug. Also. Carl Weathers is hilarious trying to be serious and tough. That may just be me though.
Now you got a stew goin'
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 15:52 But really, what the hell is the story about if not about Baby Yoda?
I don't watch it, but I assumed it was about the Mandalorian.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Warren wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 17:22
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 15:52 But really, what the hell is the story about if not about Baby Yoda?
(It’s not) but it could be like how Ronin is about Jean Reno’s character, not Robert De Niro’s.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

So, for those interested in such things, Tenet has recently become available through, um, certain channels. I watched it last night and I agree with the reviewer who quipped "Tenet is both a 10 out of 10 and a 01 out of 10."
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Kolohe wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 23:48
Warren wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 17:22
(It’s not) but it could be like how Ronin is about Jean Reno’s character, not Robert De Niro’s.
What color is the hangarbay on Naboo! You just got ambushed by chocky milk!
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Hugh Akston wrote: 04 Dec 2016, 02:09 The Big Sleep was very good, although I'm not sure I really understood the resolution. The dialogue was excellent and Bogart delivered it well, and his chemistry with Bacall was as advertised. I was a little thrown by every woman in Los Angeles splooshing over Bogey, but either that was the studio trying to build themselves a sex symbol or the 40s is indeed a foreign country.
I'm belatedly remembering this. I since read the original book, which was entertaining, and I had call to think about this angle.

It's not Bogey or the studio's fault—virtually every single female character in the book who has a conversation with Philip Marlowe wants to jump his bones.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Copperhead, a movie brought to my attention by Jesse Walker. It was treacly and overwritten, but it eschewed easy archetypes in favor of more complex feelings. It did an okay job of conveying the madness and failures of basic human decency inherent in war and political partisanship. The message was good, and it answered the question of what a made-for-TV Civil War hangout movie would be like.
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Saw Wall Street for the first time a couple of nights ago. Parts of it were ahead of its time and hold up well, and some parts that were of its time still hold up well. (Some of the dollar amounts they throw around for stuff are quite quaint, like a full floor penthouse on the upper east side side for 900k & change.)

I agree with internet and critics at the time that Darryl Hananah was not good at all in this, and the scenes between her and Sheen were gobsmackingly poorly directed for someone of Stone’s basic technical ability.

And the middle part of the movie kinda stalls, but then everything gets wrapped up real quick in the third act.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Kolohe wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 10:12 Saw Wall Street for the first time a couple of nights ago. Parts of it were ahead of its time and hold up well, and some parts that were of its time still hold up well. (Some of the dollar amounts they throw around for stuff are quite quaint, like a full floor penthouse on the upper east side side for 900k & change.)

I agree with internet and critics at the time that Darryl Hananah was not good at all in this, and the scenes between her and Sheen were gobsmackingly poorly directed for someone of Stone’s basic technical ability.

And the middle part of the movie kinda stalls, but then everything gets wrapped up real quick in the third act.
The problem with _Wall Street_ is that greed is good.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Got to talking with a guy about movies/tv shows, said he liked science fiction, anything with spaceships in it etc. Asked if he watched The Expanse, and he said he started it for a bit but was turned off by the poor acting. Ok I get it, it's a fair knock, but I'm guessing he doesn't watch much if he limits himself to science fiction with good acting.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
JD

Post by JD »

dead_elvis wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 16:02 Got to talking with a guy about movies/tv shows, said he liked science fiction, anything with spaceships in it etc. Asked if he watched The Expanse, and he said he started it for a bit but was turned off by the poor acting. Ok I get it, it's a fair knock, but I'm guessing he doesn't watch much if he limits himself to science fiction with good acting.
Is he adjusting for Sturgeon's Law or not, though?
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

JD wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 16:07
dead_elvis wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 16:02 Got to talking with a guy about movies/tv shows, said he liked science fiction, anything with spaceships in it etc. Asked if he watched The Expanse, and he said he started it for a bit but was turned off by the poor acting. Ok I get it, it's a fair knock, but I'm guessing he doesn't watch much if he limits himself to science fiction with good acting.
Is he adjusting for Sturgeon's Law or not, though?
Back before there was much serious science fiction on television or in movies, sci-fi fans broke into camps over whether the characters needed, well, character as long as there was plenty of, um, let's say speculative science whizzbang. Say what you will of Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke, but they were utter crap at writing three-dimensional characters. Ursula Le Guin, otoh, well, you get it.

Point being that The Expanse is big on whizzbang but I'm not sure most of the characters are capable of being well acted if the actors keep to the script, and that's been true for most serious as well as adolescent science fiction since roughly forever.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Meh. I think the acting in The Expanse is above average.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Re: Mandalorian
Pham Nuwen wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 16:04 It's campy and fun.
We just finished binging the whole thing. Agree with your take. Loved the guest stars, who were well used. Loved the McQuarrie-esque art. Of course there were massive idiocies but that would be beside the point.
Pham Nuwen wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 16:04 My kids love it.
...but the appeal to kids was the only thing that stuck in my craw. Not to go full on Parents Television Council, but I mean maybe don't stick this year's must-have stuffed toy for 5 year olds into a Sam Peckinpah movie. At least without giving a little more moral context. Or maybe better phrasing is don't drop a Sam Peckinpah movie into a morally simplistic universe. Every now and then it seemed like they might express a little self awareness about the glints of glee present in their smiles after they mowed down wave after wave of adversaries and burned people to death to get out of each scrap, but they would always manage to avoid it and instead keep it clear who the good guys and bad guys were and that we are indeed cheering for slaughter so that Mr. Mandalorian can be personally fulfilled and the cute cuddly thing won't suffer... the indignity of being a blood donor. Bill Burr came the closest with his jabs about situational morality, but even then the writers let the Mandalorian off the hook, making his comment about showing his face, while the question of mass death was reserved for the Imperial baddie.

But then again we don't have kids so maybe I'm underestimating their ability to make these connections on their own.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

I say with complete seriousness that this is in the Mt Rushmore of war movie scenes.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Alert: tonight/tomorrow morning, at 4:30 and 4:45 Eastern time IIRC, Adult Swim is airing two episodes of Lucy, Daughter of the Devil.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Cyborg, an early JCvD produced by Golan-Globus. I was kind of disappointed that Van Damme didn't turn out to be the titular cyborg, but I guess that's why they made Universal Soldier. The dialogue was mostly primal screams during fight scenes, because they could afford either the rain machine or character development, but not both. Would have been much better with Robert Z'Dar as the bad guy's lieutenant.

Also, Jesus made a mistake calling out to his Father when he was crucified. He would have lived a much longer and happier life if he had called out to Dollar Store Linda Hamilton instead.