Music for the Masses

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dbcooper

Re: Music for the Masses

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Someone explain the appeal of Sparks to me.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Phil Collins - the patron saint of divorced dads
'Cause I'm not moving don't worry
Ah you just try and push me out
No, I'm not moving, nowhere.
Ah there's no hurry, I can sit it out
So don't worry turn around, I will still be here
I'M NOT MOVING, OH YOU JUST TRY AND PUSH ME OUT

I love him so much.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

"Even the president needs passion!" LOL.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Never let anyone shame you for loving Rod.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Maybe my favourite balaeric mix:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160622022 ... -part1.mp3

https://web.archive.org/web/20120329202 ... lists/323/

No 80s Rod Stewart in this one. πŸ˜‰

Dirk & Tonic guest DJ mix – Trip to Balearock vol 2

The Art Of Noise – Paranoimia
Susan Christie – Paint A Lady
Joe Walsh – County Fair (Tonic Edit)
Buckingham & Nicks – Frozen Love
The Eagles – Those Shoes
Blind Faith – Can't Find My Way Home (Tonic Edit)
Black Sabbath – Symptom Of The Universe ( Lexx – Edit)
Seals & Crofts – Sweet Green Fields (Tonic Edit)
Eurythmics – I Did It Just The Same
Nacht Und Nebel – Beats Of Love
Jim Capaldi – I'm Gonna Do It
Fleetwood Mac – World Turning
Womack & Womack – Love Wars
Supermax – It Ain't Easy
Tim Sweeney takes over
2. Goblin – Suspiria – Dagored
3. Soma – White Robes – Noise New York
4. Robert Fripp – Under Heavy Manners – E.G.
5. Home Video – Benguin (Loving Hand Remix) – Defend
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

hat tip Sandy
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

I think I like better when he put Stevie as lead vocals on this one

when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think β€œdamn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

And to think that people accuse CPAC of being tone deaf to the needs of the masses!

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

What did they know?
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Lol, I was listening to a La Villa Strangiato reaction video and at the "monsters" section I paused and mentioned to my wife who just walked in the room that I sometimes like this composer guy who does reaction videos for prog rock, and she says "that's not prog rock, that's cartoon music" which of course makes me laugh but she's like "no, I'm serious. That's Raymond Scott". :shock: She's right!
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Highway

Post by Highway »

dead_elvis wrote: ↑19 Mar 2021, 13:26 Lol, I was listening to a La Villa Strangiato reaction video and at the "monsters" section I paused and mentioned to my wife who just walked in the room that I sometimes like this composer guy who does reaction videos for prog rock, and she says "that's not prog rock, that's cartoon music" which of course makes me laugh but she's like "no, I'm serious. That's Raymond Scott". :shock: She's right!
Yeah, I'm always surprised that more people don't pick that up listening through that song.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Highway wrote: ↑19 Mar 2021, 16:00
dead_elvis wrote: ↑19 Mar 2021, 13:26 Lol, I was listening to a La Villa Strangiato reaction video and at the "monsters" section I paused and mentioned to my wife who just walked in the room that I sometimes like this composer guy who does reaction videos for prog rock, and she says "that's not prog rock, that's cartoon music" which of course makes me laugh but she's like "no, I'm serious. That's Raymond Scott". :shock: She's right!
Yeah, I'm always surprised that more people don't pick that up listening through that song.
Yeah they didn't license it at the time and got sued. The statute of limitations had run out so the lawsuit wasn't valid, but Rush settled anyway and paid a voluntary 'penance fee' because they thought it was the right thing to do. Apparently Lifeson feels bad about it because he didn't realize it was something from his childhood.

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

I think I never connected the two because the times in my life when I was listening to Hemispheres and when I discovered Raymond Scott were at least 10 years apart.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

So I was listening to my Jazz station on Pandora and a piece came on that I liked that fit into my 'hip-hop/funk-influenced-jazz' concept, so I looked at the name/album/artist.

The band is the Greyboy Allstars, backing band to acid jazz / rare groove artist DJ Greyboy.

So I googled them, and on their website the describe themselves as "Seminal boogaloo revivalists...." I'd only heard the word boogaloo in the context of Breakin' 2 and the Boog Boi (bowel) movement, and teenage lunch had assumed it was just a nonsense rhyme word that sounded cool. So further google/wikipediing revealed to me that 'boogaloo' originally refers to a dance, either Latin 'bugalu' or more commonly a West-Coast/Oakland Funk/R&B/Jazz improvisational dance style from the 60s and early 70s, which morphed during the hip-hop era into 'electric boogaloo' which as one might guess from the movie incorporated some break-dance related poppin' style moves.

I was curious what they looked like (not having seen the film) and so attempted to find examples on the youtubes. There was a lot of noise of either Boog Boi bullshit or Breakin' 2 stuff (I wanted to see the original non-electric version first) and some other random weirdness, but I did come across this, which is basically a guy in India who seems to be incorporating electric boogaloo and hip hop with some Indian musical flavor and the results are kinda amazing in a wow-so-this-exists IDIC/weird-mashup sense.

ETA: I already kinda dug this general kind of subcontinent-meets-hip-hop thing because we had a bunch of Indian and Pakistani immigrant cow orkers at my old company back in the 90s and early aughts, and whenever we had a work retreat/cookout/etc (which we had more of back in the Telecom Bubble days) where there was any DJ and/or sound system they'd inevitably get a hold of it late in the session and play Indo/Pakistani electro dance stuff and it was awesome (or seemed that way after a couple hours of open bar). I especially remember it breaking some post-9/11 tension when it started up and two of the Sikh guys who'd been reluctant/afraid to wear their turbans in the months after the attack for fear of being mistaken for Muslims and getting harassed or possibly just to distance themselves from that shit - I never worked up the nerve to ask - showed up on the dance floor in American flag themed turbans.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Also the seed piece for this whole digression. Kinda somewhere in the Fat Albert / Medeski Martin & Wood region of the spectrum.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

This is awesome.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Neo-Psychedelia from a friend of mine
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »