Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lshap

Re: Twitter!

Post by lshap »

Eric the .5b wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 16:01

My first thought was, "Given the underwhelming tepidness of what you people turn out to mean by ''abolish police', what silly minor shit do you think that would constitute, and how would it help you?"

My second was...hat does that use of the clap emoji even mean? I've seen it before, but what is it? They're applauding themselves, clapping out a rythm, imagining general applause...?

(It's certainly not the beat of the song.)
The clap is like a hyper exclamation point. I judge these are meant to be read in a shout, with pauses for claps.

It makes this one sound extra dumb, because the content is actually kind of subtle humor.
-linguist
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

lshap wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 16:05

My first thought was, "Given the underwhelming tepidness of what you people turn out to mean by ''abolish police', what silly minor shit do you think that would constitute, and how would it help you?"

My second was...hat does that use of the clap emoji even mean? I've seen it before, but what is it? They're applauding themselves, clapping out a rythm, imagining general applause...?

(It's certainly not the beat of the song.)
The clap is like a hyper exclamation point. I judge these are meant to be read in a shout, with pauses for claps.

It makes this one sound extra dumb, because the content is actually kind of subtle humor.
The explanation I've heard is that it's not paused, but it's a high-speed clapping for emphasis on every syllable. Like this:

But half of them can't possibly be read that way; if that's the origin, it's become pretty solidly detached over time.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

As Uncle Roger would put it, haiyaaaa...
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Eric the .5b wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 16:01 My first thought was, "Given the underwhelming tepidness of what you people turn out to mean by ''abolish police', what silly minor shit do you think that would constitute, and how would it help you?"
Regarding their weak-ass idea of abolishing the police, replacing them with community-based and government-funded organizations that surely at some point wind up enforcing a rule against somebody who uses force, I am kind of reminded of anarcho-capitalists. They too want to abolish police and replace them with private security companies that will enforce protocols established by local consortia who control property but totally aren't governments.

Maybe they could add some "Community Partnership" bullshit to the Security Corp Mission Statement and wind up in agreement on the proper way to abolish police and replace them with the same shit under a different name.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

thoreau wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 16:26
Eric the .5b wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 16:01 My first thought was, "Given the underwhelming tepidness of what you people turn out to mean by ''abolish police', what silly minor shit do you think that would constitute, and how would it help you?"
Regarding their weak-ass idea of abolishing the police, replacing them with community-based and government-funded organizations
Most of them don't go remotely that far. I respect that far, though I'd call it something like"rebooting" the police. I'm unconvinced we can do without some version of law enforcement, I just don't want the current assholes and policies.

Most of them have a grab bag of reforms in mind, many of which are good, but they deologically hate the word "reform" because it doesn't sound extreme enough.
JD

Post by JD »

99.9% of the time it means "Give me free shit."
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Eric the .5b wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 16:38
Regarding their weak-ass idea of abolishing the police, replacing them with community-based and government-funded organizations
Most of them don't go remotely that far. I respect that far, though I'd call it something like"rebooting" the police. I'm unconvinced we can do without some version of law enforcement, I just don't want the current assholes and policies.

Most of them have a grab bag of reforms in mind, many of which are good, but they deologically hate the word "reform" because it doesn't sound extreme enough.
That's fair. I guess I can never keep up with who's calling for something that is radical but not as radical as they think, and who's calling for reasonable reform with a radical name.

I propose that we reallocate 0.1% of the police budget and call it "Police Annihilation!"
--JD
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

thoreau wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 17:16 I propose that we reallocate 0.1% of the police budget and call it "Police Annihilation!"
Tucker Carlson would be down with that.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

The clapping hands emoji thing is supposed to be read as a clap back!

Although I think anyone who posts like that looks like a dick because, first of all no way whatever you're saying is actually sassy or clever enough to warrant the extra emphasis, and second of all it's a huge pain for anyone using a screenreader ("I've clapping hands emoji got clapping hands emoji ninety-nine clapping hands emoji...")
Like baptists at the glory hole

"oh dear" they mutter, unzipping their pants

-dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

You know, I believe them. I think they really want to dismantle capitalism. And I think they're going to do it. I don't think there's any stopping them anymore. I really don't. #postingwhilehigh
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

thoreau wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 17:16
Eric the .5b wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 16:38

That's fair. I guess I can never keep up with who's calling for something that is radical but not as radical as they think, and who's calling for reasonable reform with a radical name.

I propose that we reallocate 0.1% of the police budget and call it "Police Annihilation!"
I just like firing all the bastards and calling it a Purge.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Warren wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 00:42 You know, I believe them. I think they really want to dismantle capitalism. And I think they're going to do it.
No they won't. They will call it something else. And they and their families/cronies will exploit people and the system. But it will still be the same trading and grinding that people have been doing forever.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Don't forget that "capitalism" to many of these people basically means the Gnostic demiurge that makes this world fallen and impure. Everything bad, no matter its apparent cause, stems from it.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

There's also the question of what we mean by capitalism. Pham's mention of timeless trading and grinding is part of it, but even decidedly unfree systems have that, both via clever circumvention of rules in open markets and blatant flouting in black markets.

If we mean a system where capital can be invested relatively freely, rules are minimal, and business agreements enforced via liberal institutions that operate with as little friction as can be managed, we're talking about a work in progress that many societies have realized in some form, more haven't, and the proper societal conditions for which are still an open question.
--JD
Warren

Post by Warren »

I'm sober now, and I stand by my last.
Capitalism as defined as: Property Rights, Contracts, and Free Markets, is on the way out. Equity and MMT are the new fiscal watchwords.
I believe it was the philosopher Dylan who said: The times, they are a changin.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Warren wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 00:42 You know, I believe them. I think they really want to dismantle capitalism. And I think they're going to do it. I don't think there's any stopping them anymore. I really don't. #postingwhilehigh
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Warren wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 17:44 I'm sober now, and I stand by my last.
Capitalism as defined as: Property Rights, Contracts, and Free Markets, is on the way out. Equity and MMT are the new fiscal watchwords.
That sounds like a bunch of stuff happening under capitalism. You think the next Czar wouldnt believe in property rights*?

*his own

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

--JD
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

thoreau wrote: 01 May 2021, 11:59
Jesus H. The start of that thread ...

In the 'more tweets' section there was this bit.

I'm not sure he's the hero we need, specifically, but he's definitely a hero we have.

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Warren

Post by Warren »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 21:40
That sounds like a bunch of stuff happening under capitalism. You think the next Czar wouldnt believe in property rights*?

*his own

You're making my point for me.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Warren wrote: 01 May 2021, 16:03

*his own

With talk like that you'll have you'll end up having your bitcoins expropriated*.

*into someone's personal account

Warren

Post by Warren »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 01 May 2021, 17:21
Warren wrote: 01 May 2021, 16:03

*his own

With talk like that you'll have you'll end up having your bitcoins expropriated*.

*into someone's personal account
Keep talking. You're making me look better and better 8-)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Life becomes meme.

--JD
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

For some reason that reminds me of a project I saw where they interviewed some elder members of the historically-black neighborhood near where I work and made a book out of it -- clearly something that they'd spent a long time putting together before publishing this year. One woman was talking about activism but she phrased it like, "Of course when the current president took office we were heartbroken" and it's like, I know what she meant, I know when this interview was probably done, but I'm going to take it at face value because it's fucking hilarious
Like baptists at the glory hole

"oh dear" they mutter, unzipping their pants

-dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

There sure are a lot of replies to that post from people who are triggered by the idea that the two parties are comparable in any way.