Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Eric the .5b

Re: Twitter!

Post by Eric the .5b »

Warren wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 17:35
Eric the .5b wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 15:40
Warren wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 15:03
Eric the .5b wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 14:29 Getting tired of the "You opened that story in a right-click, possibly preventing us from easily tracking link-follows for ad reasons, so we'll nag you about actually reading the story when you retweet this." pop-up.

I mean, I just fucking read a few days of some person's tweets to have confidence their use of "tankie" in their handle was very probably ironic before retweeting them. I have this tweet open in a separate tab to go back to after reading the article. Fuck off, Twitter.
That's the thing that is annoying you about twitter today?
Alrighty.
Small bit of advice. As you never say anything to me but how you're uninterested in or unimpressed by my posts, I'll just point out that you can add me to your ignore list on the board. I've done this for you for similar reasons, and I literally never see your posts, except (due to a bug in the board) when you occasionally reply to me to roll your eyes that I decided to post something.
You misunderstand me. I was saying that there are lots of other things that drive me off twitter before I get to that point. Like say for instance, oh... guys that use "tankie" (ironically or not) in their screen name.
Given you could make that response to 99% of the posts on this thread, I stick with my recommendation to you. Seems like a win-win.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
lshap

Post by lshap »

Tankie?

Ugh. Off to google new word!
-linguist
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

lshap wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 17:54 Tankie?

Means the sort of leftie who cheered the USSR sending in tanks to put down public resistance back in the 1950s and 60s. True-believing apologists for Stalin, Mao, etc. The sort of people who hear a story about someone's family getting dispossessed before they fled to America and tweet that they deserved it for being kulaks or whatever.

In this case, the person was definitely being ironic, though I'm not sure of the reference they were making. Kind of the problem with political irony.
lshap

Post by lshap »

Eric the .5b wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 18:23

Means the sort of leftie who cheered the USSR sending in tanks to put down public resistance back in the 1950s and 60s. True-believing apologists for Stalin, Mao, etc. The sort of people who hear a story about someone's family getting dispossessed before they fled to America and tweet that they deserved it for being kulaks or whatever.

In this case, the person was definitely being ironic, though I'm not sure of the reference they were making. Kind of the problem with political irony.
I....
This actually exists, unironically?

I have never come across such a person. Dang.
-linguist
dhex

Post by dhex »

They exist on Twitter, which is like a supermarket for fuckfacery.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Nooooo!!! Dont!!!!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
lshap

Post by lshap »

dhex wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 18:59 They exist on Twitter, which is like a supermarket for fuckfacery.
Well there's no disagreement with that.
-linguist
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

lshap wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 18:56
Eric the .5b wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 18:23

I....
This actually exists, unironically?

I have never come across such a person. Dang.
I met them in my university days. They didn't even go the 'mistakes were made' route. There usual line was 'it was necessary'.

I also met the head of the Canadian Communist Party at the time - William Kashtan - who was an absolute follower of the Soviet Union's policies. Tankie to the core.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Twitter/the internet just connects people, including fuckfaces.
dhex

Post by dhex »

I use supermarket as a metaphor because it's very easy to go shopping for the worst and most ridiculous people/"people" assuming they're not bots.

It's why I don't Twitter anymore. It's too easy to find the dim sum spread of crazies and morons and start extrapolating. It's bad for the health.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
JD

Post by JD »

Eric the .5b wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 01:32 Twitter/the internet just connects people, including fuckfaces.
That is true, but I think the particular problems with Twitter are that it makes it way too easy to connect with complete randos and that the format explicitly encourages snap responses and discourages thought-out, well-reasoned ones. The problem is not entirely new; I have a quote in my personal quotes file that goes
Punk Walrus wrote:Usenet is a great way of being annoyed by people I otherwise never would have met.
But at least Usenet didn't intentionally provide one giant flat conversation space for everybody.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
dhex

Post by dhex »

Usenet definitely had fuckfaces but you had to seek them out. The algo delivers fuckfaces because engagement is the water of life.
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

dhex wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 14:46 Usenet definitely had fuckfaces but you had to seek them out. The algo delivers fuckfaces because engagement is the water of life.
Why does anyone ever turn the algorithm on?

I mean, I realize you have to actively turn it off on occasion, but that's like two clicks.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

JD wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 10:38
Eric the .5b wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 01:32 Twitter/the internet just connects people, including fuckfaces.
That is true, but I think the particular problems with Twitter are that it makes it way too easy to connect with complete randos and that the format explicitly encourages snap responses and discourages thought-out, well-reasoned ones.
I'm not sure whether it's even that so much as the level of popularity and number of people on it. The scale is its own thing.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jadagul wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 15:29
dhex wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 14:46 Usenet definitely had fuckfaces but you had to seek them out. The algo delivers fuckfaces because engagement is the water of life.

I mean, I realize you have to actively turn it off on occasion, but that's like two clicks.
Because they sneak it on, and then I'm seeing some crap from somebody I've never heard of because someone I followed follows them, despite this crap not being a thing they found worth sharing.

(On the other hand, the stuff that people I follow actually share is mostly good.)

I'd use Feedbin for reading Twitter more, but my old tablet is having problems with Feedbin, and I mostly look at Twitter on my tablet.
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Eric the .5b wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 16:06

Because they sneak it on, and then I'm seeing some crap from somebody I've never heard of because someone I followed follows them, despite this crap not being a thing they found worth sharing.

(On the other hand, the stuff that people I follow actually share is mostly good.)

I'd use Feedbin for reading Twitter more, but my old tablet is having problems with Feedbin, and I mostly look at Twitter on my tablet.
Sure, although they eventually stopped sneaking it on for me.

But like, the first time you see some crap from someone you don't follow, you can notice immediately and turn it off, right? It shouldn't be on for more than like four tweets.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jadagul wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 16:48
Eric the .5b wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 16:06

Sure, although they eventually stopped sneaking it on for me.

But like, the first time you see some crap from someone you don't follow, you can notice immediately and turn it off, right? It shouldn't be on for more than like four tweets.
But then I've read some stupid crap.

And most of the time, the first several tweets aren't much different for me. The algorithm isn't very creative.
dhex

Post by dhex »

It's fuckfaces all the way down bruh. Where one timeline go we go all.

More seriously it provides so much distortion in media and politics because that's where these cunts hang out so the entire culture is extremely online despite not being extremely online.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

dhex wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 16:51 It's fuckfaces all the way down bruh. Where one timeline go we go all.

More seriously it provides so much distortion in media and politics because that's where these cunts hang out so the entire culture is extremely online despite not being extremely online.
Amazing sir.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I mostly glance at the top 20-30 tweets in my normal timeline, then check out @normative (although he's not going to fuck me), @radleybalko, @popehat, and then sometimes Kolohe and Viking Moose and a few other Gryll-alikes and sometimes @dprk_news. @LucyStags is usually good too.

Amazing how much horseshit that weeds out.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
dhex

Post by dhex »

Ha!
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I thought gamers used voice chat for that, anymore.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

My first thought was, "Given the underwhelming tepidness of what you people turn out to mean by ''abolish police', what silly minor shit do you think that would constitute, and how would it help you?"

My second was...hat does that use of the clap emoji even mean? I've seen it before, but what is it? They're applauding themselves, clapping out a rythm, imagining general applause...?

(It's certainly not the beat of the song.)