Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: Twitter!

Post by lunchstealer »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 01:15 He's fine i think. Those guys in his district love him.
Yup. The response to literally anything bad about their own that isn't 'they said something bad about Trump' is 'lol fake news'. They literally don't believe anything they don't want to believe anymore. Roy Moore only barely lost and 2020 wasn't 2018.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Good follow.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

The image is hilarious, but the context is startling (to me). He and his cohost on The 700 Club are waving around prop pistols and tasers (in a gun-safety winceathon), absolutely fucking incredulous at the idea that a user could mistake a service pistol for a taser. He's all but sputtering with his frustration, saying he supports police but then going on about major incidents of police misconduct and violence going back to George Floyd.

When the Blue Line fucks lose Pat Robertson and his ilk, I think they have a problem.
Warren

Post by Warren »

The thing that gets me is Pat Robertson is sill above ground. I'd put him on my deathpool list next year if I didn't think he was immortal after he sold his soul to the devil.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I keep being surprised that Jim Bakker isn't still behind bars, not so much because what he did was worthy of super-extended incarceration but just that's how my brain categorizes him. But apparently he's found a niche selling overpriced buckets of shitty food to newb preppers.

Weirdly enough Robertson has been one of the only really prominent evangelicals who's made this kind of break from lock-step orange-era Team Red dogma with startling moments of rational lucidity. Not super often, but apparently he's old enough and rich enough to not give two fucks about certain elements of the culture war that don't interest him. My guess is that his racism is much more of the structural/implicit/lingering kind and can be overcome by some actual Christian we are all God's children empathy. Still despise 90%+ of what he stands for but I'll take what support I can get when it's on the side of right.

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Warren wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 17:59 The thing that gets me is Pat Robertson is sill above ground. I'd put him on my deathpool list next year if I didn't think he was immortal after he sold his soul to the devil.
He looks dead. Maybe they forgot to close the coffin at his funeral.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

lunchstealer wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 18:07 I keep being surprised that Jim Bakker isn't still behind bars, not so much because what he did was worthy of super-extended incarceration but just that's how my brain categorizes him. But apparently he's found a niche selling overpriced buckets of shitty food to newb preppers.
Wasn't there a televangelist who got caught banging the young boys in his church? (ca. 1990)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Aresen wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 18:09
Warren wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 17:59 The thing that gets me is Pat Robertson is sill above ground. I'd put him on my deathpool list next year if I didn't think he was immortal after he sold his soul to the devil.
He looks dead. Maybe they forgot to close the coffin at his funeral.
I'm increasingly weirded out by this sort of remark. He just looks like an old man.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Aresen wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 18:12
lunchstealer wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 18:07 I keep being surprised that Jim Bakker isn't still behind bars, not so much because what he did was worthy of super-extended incarceration but just that's how my brain categorizes him. But apparently he's found a niche selling overpriced buckets of shitty food to newb preppers.
Wasn't there a televangelist who got caught banging the young boys in his church? (ca. 1990)
Swaggert got caught fucking a prostitute but IFAIK het and of age. Don't recall a prominent televangelist getting caught diddling the altar boys.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

lunchstealer wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 20:17
Swaggert got caught fucking a prostitute but IFAIK het and of age. Don't recall a prominent televangelist getting caught diddling the altar boys.
Yeah, that's too close to Roman Catholicism.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

lunchstealer wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 20:17
I found who it was. Bille James Hargis A little earlier than I remembered.
Wikipedia wrote:In 1974, when Hargis was nearly fifty, he was forced to resign as president of American Christian College because of allegations that he had seduced college students. Two of his students claimed that they had had sexual relations with Hargis — one was female, one was male. Other students corroborated the story. Hargis denied the sexual allegations until his death, both publicly and in his autobiography, My Great Mistake (1985). The account was reported by Time in 1976, along with other alleged incidents at Hargis' farm outside of Neosho, Missouri, and while on tour with his All American Kids musical group.[14] The Tulsa district attorney investigated but never brought charges against Hargis. The local newspapers, the Tulsa World and the defunct Tulsa Tribune, declined to publish the accusations.
OTOH, I would estimate the probability that one or more of the current crop of megachurch pastors is diddling the altar boys at > 90%.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

The thing that I really like about Twitter is the nuance

Like baptists at the glory hole

"oh dear" they mutter, unzipping their pants

-dhex
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

There was no nuance there long before Twitter.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Getting tired of the "You opened that story in a right-click, possibly preventing us from easily tracking link-follows for ad reasons, so we'll nag you about actually reading the story when you retweet this." pop-up.

I mean, I just fucking read a few days of some person's tweets to have confidence their use of "tankie" in their handle was very probably ironic before retweeting them. I have this tweet open in a separate tab to go back to after reading the article. Fuck off, Twitter.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Eric the .5b wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 14:29 Getting tired of the "You opened that story in a right-click, possibly preventing us from easily tracking link-follows for ad reasons, so we'll nag you about actually reading the story when you retweet this." pop-up.

I mean, I just fucking read a few days of some person's tweets to have confidence their use of "tankie" in their handle was very probably ironic before retweeting them. I have this tweet open in a separate tab to go back to after reading the article. Fuck off, Twitter.
That's the thing that is annoying you about twitter today?
Alrighty.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Warren wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 15:03
Eric the .5b wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 14:29 Getting tired of the "You opened that story in a right-click, possibly preventing us from easily tracking link-follows for ad reasons, so we'll nag you about actually reading the story when you retweet this." pop-up.

Alrighty.
Small bit of advice. As you never say anything to me but how you're uninterested in or unimpressed by my posts, I'll just point out that you can add me to your ignore list on the board. I've done this for you for similar reasons, and I literally never see your posts, except (due to a bug in the board) when you occasionally reply to me to roll your eyes that I decided to post something.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Eric the .5b wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 15:40
Warren wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 15:03

Alrighty.
Small bit of advice. As you never say anything to me but how you're uninterested in or unimpressed by my posts, I'll just point out that you can add me to your ignore list on the board. I've done this for you for similar reasons, and I literally never see your posts, except (due to a bug in the board) when you occasionally reply to me to roll your eyes that I decided to post something.
You misunderstand me. I was saying that there are lots of other things that drive me off twitter before I get to that point. Like say for instance, oh... guys that use "tankie" (ironically or not) in their screen name.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT