Harry and Meghan on Oprah

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Harry and Meghan on Oprah

Post by Ellie »

I did not watch the interview, merely followed it via reactions on my Twitter feed (my favorite way to watch anything tbh) and started this thread just to memorialize these tweets because they made me laugh :lol:

Like baptists at the glory hole

"oh dear" they mutter, unzipping their pants

-dhex
nicole

Re: Harry and Meghan on Oprah

Post by nicole »

I hate Meghan/Harry a lot, their celebrity bullshit is constantly recommended in my "personalized" Twitter trends, I constantly report them as "not interested" or "harmful/spammy," but they just keep getting recommended. I've even muted her name, but that doesn't stop any of the trends haha. Twitter fucking loves this (redacted), she's like some kind of god of lying, manipulating, and breaching contracts.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

I am fairly certain that one of the primary reasons we had a revolution was so we don't have to give a fuck about the royal family. Well, that and Britain kept shittin' on us endlessly.

Edit: autocorrect typos
Middle America is bestest America
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Number 6 wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 11:00 I am fairly certain that one of the primary readings we had a revolution was so we don't have to give a fuck about the royal family.
To me, the odd thing is how Americans seem to care more about the Royals than Canadians or Australians do when Liz Deux is still our head of state.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

The 21st century has persuaded me that Americans desperately need an authority figure onto whom they can project their patriotic and cultural desires and neuroses. The ideal person for that role will have only ceremonial power, so either a constitutional monarch or a figurehead president, while a PM does the real work.

A president with actual power is a terrible idea.

If America is to have a monarchy then I propose a marriage between a Kennedy and a Kardashian.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

For weeks and weeks all the headlines, oy vey. So relieved it's finally aired so we're on the downhill side of having to hear about it.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

The day they got married, Jeff and I were on vacation somewhere and their wedding ceremonies played on the TV in the hotel's breakfast room. At the time I remember saying "I don't usually give a shit about royal weddings, but I feel obligated to support this one same way I support anything that pisses off white supremacists THAT much." (They were FURIOUS about someone in violation of the one-drop rule marrying into the family.)

It would be pretty sweet if a marriage to an American is what finally makes the Brits give their welfare queens the boot.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

thoreau wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 12:02 If America is to have a monarchy then I propose a marriage between a Kennedy and a Kardashian.
A Kennedy Kardashian King?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Aresen wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 16:51
thoreau wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 12:02 If America is to have a monarchy then I propose a marriage between a Kennedy and a Kardashian.
A Kennedy Kardashian King?
[Krusty] ... That's not good. [/Krusty]
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Actual LOL.
Like baptists at the glory hole

"oh dear" they mutter, unzipping their pants

-dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Andorra has two co-monarchs, one Spanish and one French. We should have a Red co-monarch and a Blue co-monarch. The Red co-monarch must check at least two of the following boxes:
*Combat vet (ideally Marine)
*Athlete
*Country musician
*Born-again Christian

The Blue co-monarch must check at least two of the following boxes:
*Diverse
*Best-selling author
*Frequent NPR appearances and/or NYT columns
*Not religious but spiritual
--JD
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

thoreau wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 18:41 Andorra has two co-monarchs, one Spanish and one French. We should have a Red co-monarch and a Blue co-monarch. The Red co-monarch must check at least two of the following boxes:
*Athlete
*Country musician
*Born-again Christian

*Diverse
*Best-selling author
I can definitely see lots of Reds going along with this proposal, if for no other reason than because this-all will mean America has to maintain its constant state of "at war, not not officially, but really that's what it is" so as to ensure any would-be future monarchs will be able to grab their stint of combat duty.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Warren

Post by Warren »

LOL I had no idea this was going to happen. Then it showed up on my DVR and I was all "Why did I record this"? and then I deleted it without watching.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

thoreau wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 18:41 Andorra has two co-monarchs, one Spanish and one French. We should have a Red co-monarch and a Blue co-monarch. The Red co-monarch must check at least two of the following boxes:
*Athlete
*Country musician
*Born-again Christian

*Diverse
*Best-selling author
Not that either the latest Red nor the current Blue checks any of those boxes.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 21:08
*Athlete
*Country musician
*Born-again Christian

*Diverse
*Best-selling author
Not that either the latest Red nor the current Blue checks any of those boxes.
'billionaire' seems to be an overarching qualification.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

The idea is to give the teams better outlets for their cultural passions than they've had thus far. While making sure their outlets have hardly any power.
--JD
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Piers Morgan is out for criticizing Meghan Markle.

Sounds to me like she's still royalty.
--JD
nicole

Post by nicole »

Just extremely blowing my mind that people think she has literally any credibility. No clue why anyone would believe any of her claims at all.

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

nicole wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 15:23 Just extremely blowing my mind that people think she has literally any credibility. No clue why anyone would believe any of her claims at all.
Believe women, Nicole. Are you a misogynist?
--JD
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

nicole wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 15:23 Just extremely blowing my mind that people think she has literally any credibility. No clue why anyone would believe any of her claims at all.
From what little I know/knew about the situation (mostly stuff picked up via osmosis, or things like "noticing headlines in the sidebars of articles I actually read") -- one reason people might believe her is because she no-joke DID face a lot of really hateful racist bullshit. There was a Buzzfeed article last year which was little more than a straightforward collection on screenshots comparing how British tabloids covered the story "Kate Middleton does X" versus how the exact same tabloid covered "Meghan Markle does X." (Short version: Meghan got harshly criticized for the same behaviors for which Middleton received praise. Even something as innocuous as Markle's cradling her baby-bump while heavily pregnant was viewed as a bad thing.)
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

thoreau wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 15:17 Piers Morgan is out for criticizing Meghan Markle.

Piers Morgan gets fired for being a complete wanker every three years or so.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
nicole

Post by nicole »

Jennifer wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 15:52
From what little I know/knew about the situation (mostly stuff picked up via osmosis, or things like "noticing headlines in the sidebars of articles I actually read") -- one reason people might believe her is because she no-joke DID face a lot of really hateful racist bullshit. There was a Buzzfeed article last year which was little more than a straightforward collection on screenshots comparing how British tabloids covered the story "Kate Middleton does X" versus how the exact same tabloid covered "Meghan Markle does X." (Short version: Meghan got harshly criticized for the same behaviors for which Middleton received praise. Even something as innocuous as Markle's cradling her baby-bump while heavily pregnant was viewed as a bad thing.)
I mean, I saw that article when it was published and it seems like the burden is on them to show that it isn’t just cherry-picking from both sides.

It seems like her much bigger problem was with actually fulfilling the role she sought out. Now she’s giving prime time tv interviews about how she wants privacy, lol. No, she just wants to be a gross Hollywood celebrity.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Kolohe wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 16:22
thoreau wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 15:17 Piers Morgan is out for criticizing Meghan Markle.

Piers Morgan gets fired for being a complete wanker every three years or so.
So he's still a wanker, she's still a princess, he's still fired. To quote another unpopular Brit, always the same, that's just a shame, that's all.
--JD
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

nicole wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 16:34
Jennifer wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 15:52
I mean, I saw that article when it was published and it seems like the burden is on them to show that it isn’t just cherry-picking from both sides.
?? I thought the selection of screenshots did that fairly well.
It seems like her much bigger problem was with actually fulfilling the role she sought out. Now she’s giving prime time tv interviews about how she wants privacy, lol. No, she just wants to be a gross Hollywood celebrity.
Even if this is so, it does not follow that "Therefore, her claims of how various royals acted must be bullshit, and I've no clue why anyone would believe her claims at all." It's like if someone who spent a couple years in close proximity to Trump comes out with a tell-all which boils down to "He's a sexist jerk, and dumb as a stump" ... even if there's no irrefutable evidence to prove any individual claims, nothing I know about Trump gives me any reason to doubt them, either.
dhex

Post by dhex »

Team "they should all die in a fire"
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God