Casting The Stand: Prestige TV Edition

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lshap

Re: Casting The Stand: Prestige TV Edition

Post by lshap »

JasonL wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 17:43 So, did you guys thing the Stand had almost the worst ending of any King thing and it took a thousand pages to get there? I like King but he does way better at the intimate scale than at the epic.
Generally, yes, to all of this.
-linguist
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

You can tell the series was a failure from the start (despite Stephen King and many others raving about how awesome it was). I remember when Game of Thrones and Mr. Robot were still airing, and still good -- after each episode, or even during its first airing, there would be stuff trending on Twitter about it. But there was very little buzz about The Stand, despite all the reasons it "should" have been at least as popular as GoT or MR, if not moreso: not just a built-in fanbase for the story, but also a hell of a lot more people literally stuck at home with no place to [safely] go.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Re-reading earlier bits of the thread, and I forgot about this:
Jennifer wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 16:20 I hope the new Stand series does a better job of portraying Nadine and Harold, than the 1990s version did.
Nopity nope nope. Once again, the 90s miniseries actually did it better, despite having a lot more limitations in terms of budget and in what kind of things they can say and do on screen.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b