Shamelessly Currying Favor with Ellie

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lshap

Re: Shamelessly Currying Favor with Ellie

Post by lshap »

thoreau wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 16:01 Tablets from a Mesopotamian first grade class.

Scroll down and you'll see a tablet from a kid who was just fed up.
Keep it up and we'll have to modify the thread title to "currying favor with Ellie (and linguist)"!

This stuff is awesome.
-linguist
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I've gotten infatuated with Mesopotamian history lately. I think I heard one too many people in my professional world downplay math and reading (yes, really), and I'm like "Fuck it. I'm more interested in the people who invented math and reading."

I have 3 different Gilgamesh translations on my shelf right now.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
lshap

Post by lshap »

As an undergrad I minored in Classics. Meaning I've held one of these tablets. :D They are sooo much smaller than you'd think.

Nowadays I love to contemplate all of the lost cultures and languages. Linear A, minoan, etruscan, harappan. The Harappans had indoor plumbing and roman style sewers while the Mesopotamians were still in huts. It's crazy to me what ancient people accomplished, and was subsequently lost.
-linguist
Warren

Post by Warren »

I always thought cuneiform was the most sensible of pre-paper writing systems. Some clay and a simple stylus and you're in business. And you can choose to erase or make permanent as you wish.

I truly love looking at the surviving walls covered in Egyptian hieroglyphics. It's so ornate. I think about the effort that went into carving it.
The opinions which are still persecuted strike the majority as so monstrous and immoral that the general principle of toleration cannot be held to apply to them. But this is exactly the same view as that which made possible the tortures of the Inquisition. - Bertrand Russell
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
JD

Post by JD »

thoreau wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 16:01 Tablets from a Mesopotamian first grade class.
It's also funny to think that somebody's discarded homework ended up as part of the archeological records to be discovered thousands of years later.
"OK, class, assignments are due today. Belteshazzar, where is your homework?"
"I lost it...TO HISTORY"
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

thoreau wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 17:41 I've gotten infatuated with Mesopotamian history lately. I think I heard one too many people in my professional world downplay math and reading (yes, really), and I'm like "Fuck it. I'm more interested in the people who invented math and reading."

I have 3 different Gilgamesh translations on my shelf right now.
There's twitter account whose schtick is that he's Ea Nasir

https://twitter.com/OldDreyfusard?s=09

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complai ... o_Ea-nasir

But he has said already that he's kinda out of ideas for the gag
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

JD

Post by JD »

Sorry, Ellie (the URL is also one of the best parts of this story)
This funky little robot’s name is Nicobo, and it was created by Panasonic for companionship. It’s loosely catlike; it farts. It cannot do more than wiggle its head and its tail and blink its unnervingly digital eyes. It can sort of talk. And no, if you’re interested, you cannot buy it.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

dbcooper wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 20:43
That's right up there with OwlKitty.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I LOVE THEM
Like baptists at the glory hole

"oh dear" they mutter, unzipping their pants

-dhex
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

This was meant to reply to a particular post but it works better in general
Like baptists at the glory hole

"oh dear" they mutter, unzipping their pants

-dhex
JD

Post by JD »

Yesterday afternoon:

Mrs. JD: look what they have for sale at Target
cat_villa.jpg
cat_villa.jpg (134.1 KiB) Viewed 67 times

Me: haha, cute

One hour later:
cat_villa_occupied.jpg
cat_villa_occupied.jpg (164.38 KiB) Viewed 67 times
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

These two cats should play each other.

(for the curious/confused the video beyond the first 5 seconds is fairly standard cute-pet-video fodder and can easily be skipped)
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."