To DVDs and Beyond: The Netflix Thread

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Hugh Akston

Re: To DVDs and Beyond: The Netflix Thread

Post by Hugh Akston »

Finished the last batch of Sabrina. When all is said and done it's not a very good show. No sense of direction or tone, weak dialogue and no room for real character development. It's hard to tell whether the acting was bad or they were just doing their best with bad material. It's frustrating because it could have been a fun show, or at least an interesting one. Heck, I would have been satisfied with a halfway decent Buffy ripoff.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Hugh Akston wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 21:44 Finished the last batch of Sabrina. When all is said and done it's not a very good show. No sense of direction or tone, weak dialogue and no room for real character development. It's hard to tell whether the acting was bad or they were just doing their best with bad material. It's frustrating because it could have been a fun show, or at least an interesting one. Heck, I would have been satisfied with a halfway decent Buffy ripoff.
I thought season one was great. Season 2 just fell flat for me. I'm guessing I made the right decision to not look into further.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 22:53
Hugh Akston wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 21:44 Finished the last batch of Sabrina. When all is said and done it's not a very good show. No sense of direction or tone, weak dialogue and no room for real character development. It's hard to tell whether the acting was bad or they were just doing their best with bad material. It's frustrating because it could have been a fun show, or at least an interesting one. Heck, I would have been satisfied with a halfway decent Buffy ripoff.
I thought season one was great. Season 2 just fell flat for me. I'm guessing I made the right decision to not look into further.
Season one was the best season for sure. It had occasional moments after that, but mostly it was a mess.
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote: 07 Feb 2021, 10:20
Season one was the best season for sure. It had occasional moments after that, but mostly it was a mess.
Why would you look for dialogue or character development in what is clearly after-school baby sitting? The only thing it had going for it was Caroline Rhea's boobs.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Warren wrote: 08 Feb 2021, 12:32
Why would you look for dialogue or character development in what is clearly after-school baby sitting? The only thing it had going for it was Caroline Rhea's boobs.
We're talking Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, the Netflix original series that wrapped up last year, which is why it's in this thread.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote: 08 Feb 2021, 12:34
Warren wrote: 08 Feb 2021, 12:32
We're talking Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, the Netflix original series that wrapped up last year, which is why it's in this thread.
Oh
That's different.

nevermind
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I didn't like Russian Doll. It somehow spent a lot of time on buildup while simultaneously not exploring some if the interesting ideas it presented, and then resolved super quick like they forgot how many episodes they were making. The dialogue was devoid of humor and vulgar for its own sake. There wasn't a single likable character, which I'm thinking is just a thing with modern TV shows? I haven't seen Natasha Lyonne in anything recently, so I'm not sure if she was doing a character for this series or whether she has actually been possessed by the ghosts of Borscht Belt comedians IRL.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Hugh Akston wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 09:26 I didn't like Russian Doll. It somehow spent a lot of time on buildup while simultaneously not exploring some if the interesting ideas it presented, and then resolved super quick like they forgot how many episodes they were making. The dialogue was devoid of humor and vulgar for its own sake. There wasn't a single likable character, which I'm thinking is just a thing with modern TV shows? I haven't seen Natasha Lyonne in anything recently, so I'm not sure if she was doing a character for this series or whether she has actually been possessed by the ghosts of Borscht Belt comedians IRL.
Interesting. I liked it. I can see how one wouldn't if one couldn't identify or sympathize with the characters, but I know and like enough people like that for it to work for me. Also, I'm pretty much a pushover for these sorts of story lines, well explored or not. I'm looking forward to the next season.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Theres another season? How?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 16:40 Theres another season? How?
Dolla dolla bills y'all
lshap

Post by lshap »

I was pleasantly surprised by "Blood and Bone", for a decent fantasy escape story. If you liked it and haven't yet seen "Badlands", I highly recommend.

Then "Jupiter's Legacy" popped up and I'm digging that too. Another in that dark comic book genre, and pretty well done.
-linguist
dhex

Post by dhex »

I am currently trying to figure out if I like big mouth or just admire it.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God