Star Trek Wankery

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: Star Trek Wankery

Post by Warren »

Shem wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 15:09
Warren wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 12:49
Shem wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 11:35
Warren wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 10:11
nicole wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 09:55 hahahahhaalkdjfalksjraklsjfdlkasjr;lkawjf;lkajg;laj

https://www.vox.com/culture/22273263/st ... ction-2024
Oh Wormhole Aliens :roll:
That is exactly what sucks about DS9.
I guess not every Trek series can match "commentaries about race ripped from the pages of Dr. Seuss."
Is that sarcasm I detect there?
Seems funny to condemn DS9 in particular for doing one of the most Star Trek things there is.
I don't see any overlap between deriding racial prejudice in 60's America, and pretending 90's (or 2020's) America is an "extremely rigid caste system built atop race and class". Last Battlefield may have been too on the nose, but at least it was relevant.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Shem

Post by Shem »

Warren wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 18:56
Shem wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 15:09
Warren wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 12:49
Shem wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 11:35
Warren wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 10:11
nicole wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 09:55 hahahahhaalkdjfalksjraklsjfdlkasjr;lkawjf;lkajg;laj

https://www.vox.com/culture/22273263/st ... ction-2024
Oh Wormhole Aliens :roll:
That is exactly what sucks about DS9.
I guess not every Trek series can match "commentaries about race ripped from the pages of Dr. Seuss."
Is that sarcasm I detect there?
Seems funny to condemn DS9 in particular for doing one of the most Star Trek things there is.
I don't see any overlap between deriding racial prejudice in 60's America, and pretending 90's (or 2020's) America is an "extremely rigid caste system built atop race and class". Last Battlefield may have been too on the nose, but at least it was relevant.
That's pretty much exactly what my grandmother said about Last Battlefield, but ok.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

There's a Pluto channel that streams nothing but TNG episodes all day (or at least every time I've checked, though the channel name is just "Star Trek").
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

The people who made the pretty good DS9 documentary are now crowdfunding a VOY documentary.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 10:31 The people who made the pretty good DS9 documentary are now crowdfunding a VOY documentary.
I didn't care fore their DS9 doc. Walked out after about 15 min.
Swag on offer for this one isn't worth donating.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Every time I see a TNG season 1 episode I am struck anew by how awful it was. Pluto just ran the episode where the Enterprise visits the Planet of Racist African Caricatures, and the Chief Caricature kidnaps Tasha Yar.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

A non-exhaustive list of good episodes from TNG season 1:
  • Datalore
  • Home Soil
  • Coming of Age
  • Heart of Glory
  • The Arsenal of Freedom
  • Conspiracy
  • The Neutral Zone
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
nicole

Post by nicole »

Warren wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 19:46
Hugh Akston wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 10:31 The people who made the pretty good DS9 documentary are now crowdfunding a VOY documentary.
Wtmf

(We got a janeway coffee mug)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Hugh Akston wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 16:49 A non-exhaustive list of good episodes from TNG season 1:
  • Datalore
  • Home Soil
  • Coming of Age
  • Heart of Glory
  • The Arsenal of Freedom
  • Conspiracy
  • The Neutral Zone
+1
Slip inside a sleeping bag.
Warren

Post by Warren »

nicole wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 17:23
Warren wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 19:46
Wtmf

(We got a janeway coffee mug)
I liked the mug. But it wasn't distinctive enough to pony up for. I like some of the t-shirts too but the "Can't promise yours will look like this because we're still haggling over the rights" caveat, is a deal breaker.
dbcooper wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 17:25
Hugh Akston wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 16:49 A non-exhaustive list of good episodes from TNG season 1:
  • Datalore
  • Home Soil
  • Coming of Age
  • Heart of Glory
  • The Arsenal of Freedom
  • Conspiracy
  • The Neutral Zone
+1
I'll cosign with a "grading on a curve" amendment. Season 1 sucked for many reasons. Good scripts didn't overcome the gawdawful musical score, or the cardboard taped on the bridge display panels (so the lights weren't reflected in them), or, or, or.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Warren wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 20:00 I'll cosign with a "grading on a curve" amendment. Season 1 sucked for many reasons. Good scripts didn't overcome the gawdawful musical score, or the cardboard taped on the bridge display panels (so the lights weren't reflected in them), or, or, or.
Huh. For all the sucky things I've noticed about season 1, I'd never heard of or noticed that detail before.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Jennifer wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 20:19
Warren wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 20:00 I'll cosign with a "grading on a curve" amendment. Season 1 sucked for many reasons. Good scripts didn't overcome the gawdawful musical score, or the cardboard taped on the bridge display panels (so the lights weren't reflected in them), or, or, or.
Huh. For all the sucky things I've noticed about season 1, I'd never heard of or noticed that detail before.
And now you'll never be able to not see it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

That Pluto Star Trek channel is currently streaming Discovery, which I have zero interest in watching, so I dunno how long it'll be before I see another TNG s1 episode, to study the control panels on the bridge.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Re: "Nemesis" ... holy shit, that was awful.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jennifer wrote: 06 Mar 2021, 18:16 Re: "Nemesis" ... holy shit, that was awful.
Iève never seen Nemesis. From what I've heard, it sounds like the script was written by a Qanon supporter.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
nicole

Post by nicole »

I don’t get it, I love Nemesis, and I always cry at the end.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Waaaay too much emphasis on the villain at the expense of the other characters (I imagine this would've been even more annoying when it first came out: say, some TNG fan looking forward to seeing more of their favorite characters after the show's cancellation -- and instead, they get Nemesis).

The Pluto Star Trek channel has been airing that and the First Contact movie a LOT lately, in between TNG episodes. Which is fine; I was just thinking I oughtta go back to my educational Spanish-language preschool TV streams anyway. [Kicks pebble]
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Most Star Trek movies, like most Star Wars movies, suck. For that matter, half or more of the episodes of Star Trek:TOS sucked. They were just good in their time compared to, well, to nothing at all. Same with the first Star Wars movie or, as I like to call it, Star Wars. I mean, geez, most of them couldn't have been any worse even if Nicholas Cage was in them.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Currently streaming the TNG episode where Spock's dad, the distinguished ambassador, is a guest star, but he is suffering from the Vulcan equivalent of Alzheimer's: not only has he lost his much-vaunted emotional control, but worse, his lack of control gets telepathically projected onto the crew, so everyone on the Enterprise is breaking out in fistfights and whatnot.

Two Comic Book Guy-type things immediately come to mind: one, once the problem has been identified, and Picard and Co. figure out "The ambassador's mental condition is why everyone on the Enterprise has been misbehaving" ... are those various redshirt ensigns still going to have entries like "Sucker-punched his superior officer" on their disciplinary records, once it's been determined their bad behavior genuinely wasn't their fault?

And two -- this made Jeff chuckle when I pointed it out -- the episode mentioned that Sarek's second wife is a human woman, as was his first wife (Spock's mom). And so -- while I definitely am not the type to speculate overmuch about the personal lives of fictional characters -- I want to know why the hell ANY human woman would want to marry ANY Vulcan. What kind of marriage is that? "You and your husband will only have sex once every seven years; there will not be ANY romantic or lovey-dovey-type stuff going on between the two of you, if ever you need a shoulder to cry on it won't be his because crying is emotional and illogical...." Earth in Federation times was a very nice place to live, so it's not as though Earth women would be desperate enough to enter into the future equivalent of green-card marriages with ANY male willing to take them off-planet. What was their first date like? What did they do while courting? Did they time their wedding to coincide with the Vulcan's "once-per-seven-years" sex drive, or was it more like "My husband and I were married almost five years before we FINALLY had sex for the first time?"
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I just noticed that Lt. Lavelle executed the Riker Maneuver at the end of 'Lower Decks'

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jennifer wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 21:20And two -- this made Jeff chuckle when I pointed it out -- the episode mentioned that Sarek's second wife is a human woman, as was his first wife (Spock's mom). And so -- while I definitely am not the type to speculate overmuch about the personal lives of fictional characters -- I want to know why the hell ANY human woman would want to marry ANY Vulcan. What kind of marriage is that? "You and your husband will only have sex once every seven years; there will not be ANY romantic or lovey-dovey-type stuff going on between the two of you, if ever you need a shoulder to cry on it won't be his because crying is emotional and illogical...."
Eh, nothing says male Vulcans only have sex drives every seven years, just that they only go into "will fucking kill their best friend to get some" ruts every seven years. Even in TOS, Spock flirted with guest star characters, he always had that string instrument ready to go if any women wanted musical accompaniment in the lounge, and when he seduced that Romulan captain, he admitted he was genuinely into her.

Beyond sex drive, we know Spock has a sense of humor and that Sarek does, too, so it's not some half-human thing--the first thing they do after reconciling in "Journey to Babel" is tease Amanda. Logic only goes so far for Vulcans, or a father and son wouldn't have to get past their stubborn bullshit, after all.

Or, to turn the question around, why would a Vulcan want to marry some hyper-emotional alien? Sure, probably a degree of both the humans and Vulcans in question being a bit weird for their species, but not marrying-a-building or you-stay-away-from-my-sheep weird. There's clearly room for common emotional ground and accomodation.

(I mean, it's Trek. None of the aliens are that mentally alien.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

There is an old Vulcan proverb - “Earth Girls are easy”
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Kolohe wrote: 12 Mar 2021, 08:30 There is an old Vulcan proverb - “Earth Girls are easy”
👍
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Kolohe wrote: 12 Mar 2021, 08:30 There is an old Vulcan proverb - “Earth Girls are easy”
Or the human counter: "You can only push a Vulcan pon farr."
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex