Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: Food

Post by Jennifer »

Jennifer wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 21:50 [Sigh] I suppose properly frosted "homemade" cakes are another food I have to give up now that I'm in Georgia. (Frankly, this doesn't bother me nearly as much as having to give up baked potatoes as a cheap-n-easy meal option did; raw potatoes either go bad or generate fruit flies practically overnight, so if Jeff or I want baked potatoes or any variant thereof, we have to buy and use the potatoes on the same day.)
Captain Obvious improves my life again! A few days ago I read one of those list-articles about foods you should and should not keep in the refrigerator, and raw potatoes made the fridge list. So the last time Jeff and I went grocery shopping I bought a five-pound bag of reds, and I just had my first microwave-baked potatoes with butter and salt since ... um, I don't even remember.

I have a sturdy plastic organization/storage bin (from Dollar Tree) whose sides are not solid, but cut/molded into a filigree-flower type pattern of holes (for providing airflow), and it's the perfect size to hold a five-pound potato bag upright with room to spare rather than have that shapeless bag spread out and occupy a greater amount of shelf space. I'll bet it could even hold ten pounds, if I took them out of the bag and stored them loose in the bin.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
JD

Post by JD »

Jennifer wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 23:32 raw potatoes made the fridge list.
?! This is something I am unfamiliar with. I will have to research this further.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Highway

Post by Highway »

JD wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 12:53
Jennifer wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 23:32 raw potatoes made the fridge list.
?! This is something I am unfamiliar with. I will have to research this further.
Yeah, I'm unfamiliar with that as well. We keep potatoes in paper sacks in the pantry, which is dark most of the time, and have had no issues with insects or quick rotting or sprouting. We can get at least a week out of any potatoes stored that way (which is more than we need because we turn over ingredients like potatoes fast, since the only ones we get are from Hello Fresh).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

In Connecticut I never had a potato rot or attract fruit flies; at worst, I'd have potatoes sprout if I kept them too long. Even in Virginia it wasn't that bad (bear in mind, I don't think I've ever bought more than five pounds of raw potatoes at once). Only in Georgia did I have the problem "I can NOT keep raw potatoes for more than a day or two."

FWIW, I had my second meal of "fridge potatoes" last night and they were fine.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I've never had problems with potatoes in East Texas, which is climate-wise pretty similar to a lot of Georgia. Weird.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
lshap

Post by lshap »

As I was munching some cottage cheese I wondered what you could do with it in cooking and discovered Cottage Cheese Alfredo sauce (recipe googled). We've had it twice now and it's really really good, and easy to make. Highly recommend trying it. Use high-quality parm for best taste.
-linguist
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Cottage cheese can also be a ricotta substitute for things like lasagna or stuffed shells. I'll also sometimes eat it with some mandarin oranges, when I want to feel like a responsible grownup with a healthy diet.
Warren

Post by Warren »

I put cottage cheese (and S+P) on my baked potato.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
lshap

Post by lshap »

Warren wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 20:18 I put cottage cheese (and S+P) on my baked potato.
That sounds really good.
-linguist
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Jennifer wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 20:15 I'll also sometimes eat it with some mandarin oranges, when I want to feel like a responsible grownup with a healthy diet.
Cottage cheese topped with canned peaches was a staple desert growing up.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Good cottage cheese is one of the dairy foods I really miss.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

I'm roasting my vegetables (and caramelizing the tomato paste) in the oven when I make brown stock now. Last one I made was like roast chicken in liquid form.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.