Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: Food

Post by Warren »

Jadagul wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 00:33 I've never managed to keep potatoes good for more than like a week and a half. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but not entirely sure what.

(Probably keeping them in a cabinet would be the first step, but then I'd never remember I had them. And even when I've done that they haven't lasted _that_ long.)
1 Your cabinet is too warm
2 Your potatoes are all in a bag and can't breath
3 You're not culling out potatoes that are starting to turn
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 10:30
Jadagul wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 00:33 I've never managed to keep potatoes good for more than like a week and a half. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but not entirely sure what.

(Probably keeping them in a cabinet would be the first step, but then I'd never remember I had them. And even when I've done that they haven't lasted _that_ long.)
What are we? Farmers?
Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 15:29
Warren wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 10:30

What are we? Farmers?
You want to stuff takeout and delivery into your maw for the privilege of seeing another day, that's your business.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Kwix

Post by Kwix »

The wife has been in Maryland visiting her girlfriend so I've had the kitchen to myself. A lack of fish dishes so far but I did a bulgogi style ground beef that has seen me through two dinners and two breakfasts, one fried rice style and the other with barely cooked backyard eggs.
I used fressh grated ginger, but otherwise this is it:
https://damndelicious.net/2013/07/07/korean-beef-bowl/

Next up is either a smoked salmon chowder or halibut olympia. Also bought some anchovies to try this:
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... ter-366412

I understand it is fantastic on roasted veg.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls." --Twba
JD

Post by JD »

I encountered the tonka bean about 15 years ago while visiting the Caribbean, and this article is about ten years old, but I just found it today: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... gal/65616/

tl;dr: the tonka bean is being championed by chefs, but it's illegal in the US because of overblown fears that it contains a blood-thinning chemical. Nevermind that so do a whole lot of other commonly-used plants, in similar amounts, or that it's not illegal in the rest of the world and they don't seem to be suffering any ill effects; the FDA refuses to back down.

A good thing to keep in mind whenever people go all "but regulations are there for your health and safety! you don't want people to sell you unsafe food, do you?" That's the idea, and yet somehow it ends up with FDA inspectors spending their time busting restaurants for using something used around the world with no ill effects...
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

I'm finding I quite enjoy a beverage of grape juice and coke. Mixture needs to lean towards coke about 2:1.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
JD

Post by JD »

I prefer a mixture of corn juice and coke, or perhaps sugarcane juice and coke with a bit of lime.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

These things are things? Just reading them made my teeth hurt.
JD

Post by JD »

Perhaps I should have noted that the corn or sugarcane juice really has to be allowed to sit for a while, then distilled. (Corn juice? Really? That said, perhaps there's a reason my joke fell flat...)
Warren

Post by Warren »

I believe "corn squeezins" is the term d'art.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Ahh sorry. I let your joke down.

My defense is the grape juice thing is every bit as bizarre sounding to my ear as corn juice so why not.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Grape Coke doesn't sound any more bizarre to me than Cherry Coke and I do like me some Cherry Coke.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Corn Coke is on the table then.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

As I've written before, a childhood treat was to go to the lunch counter at the local drug store and order a fountain Coke with a spritz of other flavoring, e.g., cherry or chocolate. I still occasionally mix up a 'Mexican' Coke with some chocolate syrup.

I get how Coke might be considered a good mixer for rum, etc., but I was a bit gobsmacked in Europe hanging around soldiers in bars who would order Courvoisier and Coke. That's like saying, "Hey bartender, I want a Glenlivet and ginger ale." Anyone doing so should be immediately 86ed.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 12:28As I've written before, a childhood treat was to go to the lunch counter at the local drug store and order a fountain Coke with a spritz of other flavoring, e.g., cherry or chocolate.
Tangentially, extremely popular with kids today. Hell, I've seen 9-year-olds putting half the drinks available in their cups, then sipping and adding a touch of one or two more.

I have no idea what that tastes like, but they like it.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Eric the .5b wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 20:32
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 12:28As I've written before, a childhood treat was to go to the lunch counter at the local drug store and order a fountain Coke with a spritz of other flavoring, e.g., cherry or chocolate.
Tangentially, extremely popular with kids today. Hell, I've seen 9-year-olds putting half the drinks available in their cups, then sipping and adding a touch of one or two more.

I'm sure 9yo me would have liked it too.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Eric the .5b wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 20:32 Hell, I've seen 9-year-olds putting half the drinks available in their cups, then sipping and adding a touch of one or two more.

Around where I grew up this was called "a suicide" (I have no idea why). I got fountain drinks that way for well past the age of nine :oops: :lol:
"Ellie is the Warren of comedy." -Shem
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Ellie wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 00:28
Eric the .5b wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 20:32 Hell, I've seen 9-year-olds putting half the drinks available in their cups, then sipping and adding a touch of one or two more.

Around where I grew up this was called "a suicide" (I have no idea why). I got fountain drinks that way for well past the age of nine :oops: :lol:
I think it's only a suicide if you mix together, like, all the different drinks out of aggressive reckless experimentation.

Where I grew up I think we conceived of a suicide as an equal mix of all the options. I don't think it tasted good but that wasn't the point.

(Of course, these days they have the fancy machines where you can actually order a shot of blackberry syrup in your coke.)
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

We were more lax in my area; any combination of three or more counted. And yes, you would ALWAYS take an experimental sip and then add more of one soda (or as we called it, of course, pop) to adjust the flavor :lol:
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

This all sounds terrible. I'm not a soda/Coke guy though. Not really since college or before.
Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 10:52 This all sounds terrible. I'm not a soda/Coke guy though. Not really since college or before.
It's a pre-puberty thing.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Warren wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 11:43
JasonL wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 10:52 This all sounds terrible. I'm not a soda/Coke guy though. Not really since college or before.
I mixed well into my third decade.
Of course, I just started shaving last week.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul
Warren

Post by Warren »

Number 6 wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 13:20
The remolding of one's psyche via completing the Paris Island curriculum, can have unpredictable side effects.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

The only mixing I ever do is <a shot of some interesting drink> + unsweetened ice tea. Sweetened rose water stuff, blackberry drink, etc.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Number 6 wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 13:20
I wonder if I'd still be making suicides if I hadn't embarked on 20 years of dieting followed by diabetes. It's been a long, long time since I drank full-sugar soda, and soda fountains rarely have more than one diet option.