What are you drinking?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by JasonL »

Jadagul wrote: 07 Feb 2021, 18:25 Have found a drink I'm really happy with:

4 oz cold brew rooibos chai
2 oz unsweetened cranberry juice
1 oz caramel syrup or golden syrup

Shake with two ice cubes, strain into glass.

It comes out super smooth and really nicely balanced. (Though one of the weird things about getting a perfectly balanced drink is that it almost feels like you haven't done anything, at the end.)
Rooibos and cranberry or raspberry makes a lot of sense to me flavors wise.
lshap

Post by lshap »

JasonL wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 14:29
Jadagul wrote: 07 Feb 2021, 18:25 Have found a drink I'm really happy with:

4 oz cold brew rooibos chai
2 oz unsweetened cranberry juice
1 oz caramel syrup or golden syrup

Shake with two ice cubes, strain into glass.

It comes out super smooth and really nicely balanced. (Though one of the weird things about getting a perfectly balanced drink is that it almost feels like you haven't done anything, at the end.)
Rooibos and cranberry or raspberry makes a lot of sense to me flavors wise.
Agree!
Of course this recipe is sadly lacking in vodka. Hmm. Hmm, gin even could work. I'll try it and let you know.
-linguist
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Continuing adventures of non-alcoholic drinks:

I've been looking for something that can play the role of wine in my life. I found one that's working pretty well for me:

4 oz unsweetened red grape juice
4 oz cold-brewed decaf earl grey
1oz grapefruit juice
1oz lemon juice
pinch of salt
half a teaspoon of vanilla extract
Shaken with a large ice cube, strained and served.

It doesn't taste like wine, exactly, but it went well with my chuck roast and duck fat home fries tonight.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Cranberry juice and vodka. Helps everywhere else while stressing my liver.
JD

Post by JD »

With the weather warming up, it's turning to gin season.

I picked up a bottle of Neversink the other day. It's made from NY state apples, and it's some damn good stuff, particularly in a G&T with Q tonic.

I also hope to soon pick up a bottle of Future, which I tried last year and really liked; it's corn-based but the botanicals are very southern California.

I'm also curious to try Drumshanbo Gunpowder, but I'd like to taste it before I commit to a whole bottle.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
JD

Post by JD »

I acquired that bottle of Future Gin, and finished it off the other night; it's a subtle one but damn is it nice.

I've also acquired a bottle of Shot Tower (my wife was in the Baltimore area recently) which is very nice although rather more in the London Dry style than my usual taste - I'm such a New Western fan, but there's always a place for a London Dry in a G&T.

Also picked up in Baltimore was a bottle of St. George Dry Rye Gin. This is a really interesting one. Rye is an incredibly assertive grain: whether it's in whiskey, beer, or gin, it never lets you forget it's there. For that reason, I find St. George a little odd in a G&T, because the rye note is a little bit like a saxophone in a string quartet. The makers recommend you treat it more like rye than gin, and I think that's good advice. It honestly works better on the rocks with a twist of lemon than it does in a traditional gin cocktail.

And just today I picked up a bottle of Jin Jiji, which is actually made in India and (with one exception) from entirely Indian botanicals, like tulsi leaf and cashew. Despite the exotic botanic bill, juniper is still very much the star, and the others are interesting but subtle. Makes a good G&T; will definitely get some more investigation.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

I must say I'm impressed with the latest generation of non-alcoholic beer from craft brewers. I never cared much for the n/a versions of traditional beers most likely to be seen previously- St. Pauli's, Becks, etc. O'Douls was... ok. Not terrible. But it shouldn't come as a surprise that the IPA makes a good vehicle for a nice non-alcoholic. Not going to be mistaken for the real thing, as it's hard to get enough balancing body without the booze, but a hop heavy style works well. Although of course YMMV with IPAs and hop-heavy beers, but this is the first time I've had non-alcoholic beers that I drink as an enjoyable beverage in it's own right and not as a sad inadequate attempt at a substitute.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
JD

Post by JD »

dead_elvis wrote: 06 May 2021, 18:04 I must say I'm impressed with the latest generation of non-alcoholic beer from craft brewers. I never cared much for the n/a versions of traditional beers most likely to be seen previously- St. Pauli's, Becks, etc. O'Douls was... ok. Not terrible. But it shouldn't come as a surprise that the IPA makes a good vehicle for a nice non-alcoholic.
I agree that the options are a lot better now. Back when I was on medication that I couldn't drink with, I found Brooklyn Brewery's Special Effects, and although I was expecting to be disappointed, it was actually quite decent. I haven't tried Lagunitas' IPNA, but I've never known Lagunitas to put out something bad.
Warren

Post by Warren »

I've rediscovered Dogfish Head 60min IPA. The Dogfish Head line pushes too much hops and too much alcohol. They are of the More is Better school. At 6% ABV 60min comes in a skosh over my personal threshold, but the hops is forward without punching you in the face.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT