Tiny Triumphs

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: Tiny Triumphs

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 25 Dec 2020, 18:16
dhex wrote: 25 Dec 2020, 12:50 I may have convinced the wife to let me make beef tenderloin for Thanksgiving in lieu of the hated bird.
A year from now? I mean you're not a month behind everyone else like you're in some bad Twilight Zone episode, right?
Yeah she just said that to get you to shut up about it, but it ainna gonna fly.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
dhex

Post by dhex »

dead_elvis wrote: 25 Dec 2020, 14:55
dhex wrote: 25 Dec 2020, 12:50 in lieu of the hated bird.
Hey, mother-in-law can be quite tender if marinated long enough.

(ba-dump-tish, I keed I keed. I know that plenty of MIL relationships don't fit the stereotype, including ours)
No need to apologize my MIL is human garbage.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
dhex

Post by dhex »

Warren wrote: 25 Dec 2020, 18:42
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 25 Dec 2020, 18:16
dhex wrote: 25 Dec 2020, 12:50 I may have convinced the wife to let me make beef tenderloin for Thanksgiving in lieu of the hated bird.
A year from now? I mean you're not a month behind everyone else like you're in some bad Twilight Zone episode, right?
Yeah she just said that to get you to shut up about it, but it ainna gonna fly.
While this is true on paper I mean this tenderloin is something else. It's amazing. And it's cheaper than fresh kill humanely hugged to death free range turkey she insists upon so win win. And the kid is on board so it's 2-1 if she attempts to appeal.

Also I do all of the cooking.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Warren

Post by Warren »

dhex wrote: 25 Dec 2020, 20:59 Also I do all of the cooking.
This is your trump card. Don't play it too early or too late.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Warren

Post by Warren »

QCAD is a freeware Computer Assisted Design app. I downloaded it some time ago, but never got around to trying to use it.
My IKEAesque desk is starting to fall apart and I need some more/better storage. I had some ideas about making a new desk and started fooling around with QCAD.

One thing that's irritating me, is I can't find a decent tutorial on it. But I'm pretty good at just playing with stuff and figuring it out, and if I have specific questions, Google can usually help me out. I'm still trying to figure out how much I just don't know how to do, and how much you need to pay for the pro version to do it.

Anyway, I got the desk designed well enough that I could build it now. But that's gonna wait at least until warmer weather. And in the mean time I'll probably continue to tweak the design.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

finally got my first bit of positive cash flow on a rental property I own, after years of futzing around with it, and several months of nothing but contractor bills.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

::reports Kolohe to AOC::
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
lshap

Post by lshap »

Kolohe wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 17:13 finally got my first bit of positive cash flow on a rental property I own, after years of futzing around with it, and several months of nothing but contractor bills.
Hey, cool! Congrats!
-linguist
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Becoming a slumlord - the libertarian dream.

'gratz Kolohe!
JD

Post by JD »

Congratulations on becoming part of the capitalist ruling class!
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Congrats! Enjoy your long future of doing nothing at all to maintain that income, as the Twitter kids keep telling me.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Eric the .5b wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 11:58 Congrats! Enjoy your long future of doing nothing at all to maintain that income, as the Twitter kids keep telling me.
To be fair they have a bit of a point. The only reason I have the house is that I outlived my parents. (The house I bought with my own money I’m still futzing around with) (the house I actually live in is technically only owned by my wife)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Kolohe wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 13:06
Eric the .5b wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 11:58 Congrats! Enjoy your long future of doing nothing at all to maintain that income, as the Twitter kids keep telling me.
To be fair they have a bit of a point. The only reason I have the house is that I outlived my parents. (The house I bought with my own money I’m still futzing around with) (the house I actually live in is technically only owned by my wife)
Just remember it when you have to get something fixed. :)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Made a smoothie this morning with no grievous injuries. A personal best.
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
lshap

Post by lshap »

Hugh Akston wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 12:19 Made a smoothie this morning with no grievous injuries. A personal best.
Well done!
The world breathes a sigh of relief.
-linguist
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I parked my new car in my space on the first try. I didn't even have to turn around and come at it from the other direction, which is more than I can say for my old car. This means I can keep the new one, which is good because I rather like it.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 00:31 I parked my new car in my space on the first try. I didn't even have to turn around and come at it from the other direction, which is more than I can say for my old car. This means I can keep the new one, which is good because I rather like it.
2021 is your year ducky.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

My student loans have been repaid.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Hugh Akston wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 18:58 My student loans have been repaid.
Congrats. I hope the bank security cameras didn't get a good picture as you ran off and you left no fingerprints at the scene.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Aresen wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 21:46
Congrats. I hope the bank security cameras didn't get a good picture as you ran off and you left no fingerprints at the scene.
For once the mask mandate works in my favor.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Huzzah, Hugh. Though that's more than a "tiny" triumph, IMO.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Hugh Akston wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 22:53
You could have waited for Diamond Joe to forgive the loan!
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

thoreau wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 23:06
Hugh Akston wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 22:53
You could have waited for Diamond Joe to forgive the loan!
A few months ago I received a letter from my bank informing me that they were getting out of the student loan business, and that my final balance of $72.12 would be payable to some debt buyer. I never actually made the payment, but I got another letter a couple of weeks ago informing me that I was done. So someone somewhere along the line decided that my chump change wasn't actually worth pursuing. So basically it's the same diff except I haven't been whining about it on Twitter for ten years.