It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jasper

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Jasper »

If you don't mind subtitles (or you understand Spanish), and enjoy mystery-horror stuff, then 30 Coins might be worth a look, on HBO Max. It's a little uneven in spots, but I'm enjoying it a lot. And it has an actress that has haunted me since I first saw her 20 years ago in Dagon - Macarena Gomez.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Okay I need to bitch about this.
Last episode of All Creatures Great and Small reboot Season 1
► Show Spoiler
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

dhex wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 14:16 My wife and son are fond of the reboot. It's fine? Charming I guess.
You are the face of toxic PBS fandom.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
dhex

Post by dhex »

I don't donate so in that sense yes.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Warren

Post by Warren »

dhex wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 15:34 I don't donate so in that sense yes.
leach
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
dhex

Post by dhex »

Hell yeah
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Three episodes into Debris and, um, I don't know. Characters aren't very compelling but they're pulling out all the stops on "weird shit is happening": clones, anti-gravity, teleportation, dimensional portals and apparently next week localized atmospheric disruptions like, hey, there's no breathable air over across the street.

I'm getting a sort of LOST, they're just going to keep yanking our chains, vibe but the pickings for TV are kinda slim right now, so I'll keep watching until I'm ashamed of myself for buying the bullshit.
Highway

Post by Highway »

I don't know if any of you have tried Resident Alien on Syfy. I've found it pretty good. A bit murdery, a bit foul-mouthed, but if you like watching Alan Tudyk, it's exactly what you want. Unfortunately, you can really only see it with a cable subscription or the Hulu+LiveTV option. Or just outright piracy, if anyone does that anymore.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Highway wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 00:00 I don't know if any of you have tried Resident Alien on Syfy. I've found it pretty good. A bit murdery, a bit foul-mouthed, but if you like watching Alan Tudyk, it's exactly what you want. Unfortunately, you can really only see it with a cable subscription or the Hulu+LiveTV option. Or just outright piracy, if anyone does that anymore.
I think people do. I like Tudyk, watched two episodes and said, nope, not my cup of tea. Nice to see he's getting work, though.
Mo

Post by Mo »

Warren wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 19:51 Anyone got any Amazon Prime Video suggestions.

Seen second season of The Boys. Better than the first. Still doesn't live up to the hype.
A French Village if you don't mind reading. It's about a French village (shocking) on the German side of occupied France on the border. It starts in 1940, interesting look at the nature of collaboration and public vs. private collaboration.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
nicole

Post by nicole »

Warren wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 11:17
Jasper wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 10:44 Oh, I'm happy to hear that finally dropped. I'd heard about it a while ago. I was a fan of the PBS show and even read a few of his books afterward becasue of it.
The production values are higher, and make for a more enjoyable watch. Can't say the writing or acting is better. I wish I could remember the original show better. From what I do remember, the stories are similar with some very significant differences. As an aside, I think the new Tristan would have worked a thousand times better sandwiched between the Bakers.
No Robert Hardy is a fatal flaw.

I’m good still rewatching the original forever.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Mo wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 04:26
Warren wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 19:51 Anyone got any Amazon Prime Video suggestions.

Seen second season of The Boys. Better than the first. Still doesn't live up to the hype.
A French Village if you don't mind reading. It's about a French village (shocking) on the German side of occupied France on the border. It starts in 1940, interesting look at the nature of collaboration and public vs. private collaboration.
Aww That sounds great. But I really do hate subtitles. Having to read them is the worst of both worlds. Can't watch the show, and the writing is terrible (compared to reading a book).
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
JD

Post by JD »

Highway wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 00:00 I don't know if any of you have tried Resident Alien on Syfy. I've found it pretty good. A bit murdery, a bit foul-mouthed, but if you like watching Alan Tudyk, it's exactly what you want. Unfortunately, you can really only see it with a cable subscription or the Hulu+LiveTV option. Or just outright piracy, if anyone does that anymore.
Funny you should mention it; we just started watching it last night and I really liked it. It's trying to tread a narrow path in making a lighthearted comedy involving someone who has come here to destroy humanity and who commits murder in their first day on Earth, but mostly it works pretty well. At its worst it leans a little too heavily on the clueless-fish-out-of-water comedy, but at its best there are some bittersweet reflections on what it means to be human.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Bliss (Amazon Prime) is easily one of the worst movies ever. Absolutely everyone involved should be banned from the movie biz. Just terrible writing. I really can't think of any redeeming qualities at all, because every choice it made was stupid. Shaky cam. Music during dialog. Kept thinking it was heading towards making some political point but it just wouldn't and instead undermined all of it and landed on privileged poverty tourism (you're not really living if society has solved all problems and made life easy*), which makes one realize all the background political stuff was just some sort of inserted window dressing for "awareness" I'm guessing. It hardly makes any sense.

*yup, starts out like the Matrix but you get Zardoz, without Zardoz's charms.

Sorry/not sorry about spoilers because you shouldn't waste your time on this anyway. Look forward to this on MST4k.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Warren

Post by Warren »

dead_elvis wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 14:25 Bliss (Amazon Prime) is easily one of the worst movies ever. Absolutely everyone involved should be banned from the movie biz. Just terrible writing. I really can't think of any redeeming qualities at all, because every choice it made was stupid. Shaky cam. Music during dialog. Kept thinking it was heading towards making some political point but it just wouldn't and instead undermined all of it and landed on privileged poverty tourism (you're not really living if society has solved all problems and made life easy*), which makes one realize all the background political stuff was just some sort of inserted window dressing for "awareness" I'm guessing. It hardly makes any sense.

*yup, starts out like the Matrix but you get Zardoz, without Zardoz's charms.

Sorry/not sorry about spoilers because you shouldn't waste your time on this anyway. Look forward to this on MST4k.
Dude. How did Owen Wilson and Bill Nye not tip you off?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Just finished slogging through The Flight Attendant. Imagine North by Northwest, but 1/3rd of the run time is spent in internal dialog and flashbacks to Cary Grant's childhood and why he is an alcoholic, sprinkled throughout so as to constantly interrupt. Kaley Cuoco and her character are annoying and unsympathetic. Someday if I have way too much time I think a fun challenge will be to trim its 6 hours down to a taught 1:30 minute industrial espionage thriller that cuts her character out entirely in favor of Zosia Mamet and Rosie Perez, with Cuoco's character an enigmatic off-screen character no one is sure exists.

It *does* however have a fantastic opening credit sequence.

"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

That is both a cool opening and something people in ten years of so will be posting in discussions of "that thing on TV that scared the crap out of me as a little kid".
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Professor Professorson

Post by Professor Professorson »

If anyone is looking for an incredible crime drama show, I highly recommend the Italian show Gomorrah that can be found on HBO Max. It's about the Naples mafia, but the Neapolitan mafia is very different than the Sicilian/American mafia, which have highly ordered, almost paramilitary structures. The Neapolitan mafia is much more gang-like with very little structure, basically just one boss/Don with no particular underbosses or capos and lots of turf wars and infighting between the various gangs/clans. The name of the show derives from the name of the overall Neapolitan mafia (as in all the gangs/clans in toto), the Camorra.

The show is in (Neapolitan/southern) Italian but has English subtitles. Also, HBO Max only currently has the first three of four seasons, and a fifth is slated to be released in Europe later this year. It was earlier on Netflix who had only seasons one and two, but I found it so gripping that I immediately ordered seasons three and four from Italy (I have a regionless Blu-ray/DVD player which one would also need if buying foreign discs). I expect that HBO Max should add season four at some point. There is also a movie, L'Immortale/The Immortal (which is the nickname of one of the primary characters), and is meant to be watched between seasons three and four. It is extremely hard to get your hands on, so I had to watch it though a questionable streaming site (www.primewire.li), but it worked.

This is one of the best and most well-done serious drama shows I've seen in years, and I watch a lot of streaming TV. Again, highly recommended, especially if you like crime dramas. Also, the theme song (which plays over the closing credits as there are no opening credits) is awesome and is from a Corsican artist called N'To and is actually in Corsican.
"Here in Switzerland, we only have one method of negotiation."
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I'm mildly surprised regional DVDs are still a thing. It's all digital now, including the television sets, themselves. Back when the world was divided into NTSC and PAL analog, okay, I got it. PAL came later and, as a result, picture clarity in Europe was significantly better than NTSC and when we lived in Italy I bought a small color TV that could display both standards and that was, of course, overpriced. Now everything is digital everywhere as far as I know, so unless I'm missing something, regional formatting makes no sense.
Highway

Post by Highway »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 17:37 I'm mildly surprised regional DVDs are still a thing. It's all digital now, including the television sets, themselves. Back when the world was divided into NTSC and PAL analog, okay, I got it. PAL came later and, as a result, picture clarity in Europe was significantly better than NTSC and when we lived in Italy I bought a small color TV that could display both standards and that was, of course, overpriced. Now everything is digital everywhere as far as I know, so unless I'm missing something, regional formatting makes no sense.
Region coding makes sense to the umpteen entities that license rights to sell / distribute / broadcast things in different areas. That's who region coding was always for, to prevent people from doing exactly what the dear Professor did: buying something from somewhere else in the world, when dangit, we paid good money to keep people here from watching it from anyone but us!
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Highway wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 17:45
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 17:37 I'm mildly surprised regional DVDs are still a thing. It's all digital now, including the television sets, themselves. Back when the world was divided into NTSC and PAL analog, okay, I got it. PAL came later and, as a result, picture clarity in Europe was significantly better than NTSC and when we lived in Italy I bought a small color TV that could display both standards and that was, of course, overpriced. Now everything is digital everywhere as far as I know, so unless I'm missing something, regional formatting makes no sense.
Region coding makes sense to the umpteen entities that license rights to sell / distribute / broadcast things in different areas. That's who region coding was always for, to prevent people from doing exactly what the dear Professor did: buying something from somewhere else in the world, when dangit, we paid good money to keep people here from watching it from anyone but us!
Yeah, that's right, because the Chinese and Indians have been scrupulous about respecting intellectual property rights and the rest of the world can't find The Pirate Bay.