Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Pham Nuwen

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Those updates matter unfortunately.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Single family home in 22207 for 650K? That’s ridiculously cheap.

Edit - for anywhere in Arlington just looking it up on Redfin right now. (Lowest SFH I saw was 700k)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Kolohe wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 18:06 Single family home in 22207 for 650K? That’s ridiculously cheap.

Edit - for anywhere in Arlington just looking it up on Redfin right now. (Lowest SFH I saw was 700k)
No, for the Dallas suburb house we currently live in. The Arlington VA house is worth well over $1m, we're just not sure how much over.
lshap

Post by lshap »

Anyone else having trouble getting contractors and building supplies?

Around here, wood has gone through the roof (heh) and contractors won't even bid. I blame the northerners moving here (like we did) because of the pandemic. It's a bit annoying, but I guess we can wait to have minor things done. In the meantime home prices have risen 28 percent in a year. So I'll take that as consolation.
-linguist
Highway

Post by Highway »

lshap wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 08:17 Anyone else having trouble getting contractors and building supplies?

Around here, wood has gone through the roof (heh) and contractors won't even bid. I blame the northerners moving here (like we did) because of the pandemic. It's a bit annoying, but I guess we can wait to have minor things done. In the meantime home prices have risen 28 percent in a year. So I'll take that as consolation.
This isn't a local thing. This is an everywhere thing. Construction and home improvement did not slow down much due to the pandemic, but supply chains were interrupted and a large backlog was generated for all sorts of building materials. Many home improvement contractors have reported that 2020 was actually their best year for business. Lots of people had kitchens redone.

And I'm super not a fan of home prices going up, because that just means my taxes go up. I'm not interested in selling (and moving where? To another house that I can't actually buy because of the bidding wars?). And it's just another indication of the severe housing shortage that has only gotten worse.
Well, that was a long walk down a windy beach to a cafe that was closed...
lshap

Post by lshap »

Highway wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 10:51
lshap wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 08:17 Anyone else having trouble getting contractors and building supplies?

This isn't a local thing. This is an everywhere thing. Construction and home improvement did not slow down much due to the pandemic, but supply chains were interrupted and a large backlog was generated for all sorts of building materials. Many home improvement contractors have reported that 2020 was actually their best year for business. Lots of people had kitchens redone.

And I'm super not a fan of home prices going up, because that just means my taxes go up. I'm not interested in selling (and moving where? To another house that I can't actually buy because of the bidding wars?). And it's just another indication of the severe housing shortage that has only gotten worse.
Good points. I guess if I have to sell, I'd rather take a profit rather than the huge loss in Chicago, but I also don't plan to sell.

In other grylli home news, I heard from Mrs. Moose today that they are proceeding in buying a house in WI. There were a couple of frightening snags with lead and survey, but they're now resolved. So happy for them!
-linguist
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I can't find it at the moment but there was a parody news story I saw on Twitter a few days ago about a shipment of lumber being smuggled in disguised as cocaine.
Warren

Post by Warren »

heh. Good one.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT