Mo's moderately interesting sci/tech thread

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: Mo's moderately interesting sci/tech thread

Post by JD »

Advances in water desalination technology may greatly increase efficiency and lifespan of devices:
https://phys.org/news/2020-10-marangoni ... r-sea.html
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Researchers have found a room-temperature superconductor
Yet while researchers celebrate the achievement, they stress that the newfound compound — created by a team led by Ranga Dias of the University of Rochester — will never find its way into lossless power lines, frictionless high-speed trains, or any of the revolutionary technologies that could become ubiquitous if the fragile quantum effect underlying superconductivity could be maintained in truly ambient conditions. That’s because the substance superconducts at room temperature only while being crushed between a pair of diamonds to pressures roughly 75% as extreme as those found in the Earth’s core.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Hugh Akston wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 15:32 Researchers have found a room-temperature superconductor
Yet while researchers celebrate the achievement, they stress that the newfound compound — created by a team led by Ranga Dias of the University of Rochester — will never find its way into lossless power lines, frictionless high-speed trains, or any of the revolutionary technologies that could become ubiquitous if the fragile quantum effect underlying superconductivity could be maintained in truly ambient conditions. That’s because the substance superconducts at room temperature only while being crushed between a pair of diamonds to pressures roughly 75% as extreme as those found in the Earth’s core.
Ahem
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Aresen wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 15:38
Hugh Akston wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 15:32 Researchers have found a room-temperature superconductor
Ahem
Sorry you posted that story in the wrong thread. Better luck next time.
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
JD

Post by JD »

The apparent discovery of phosphine in the atmosphere of Venus may have actually been an artifact of the data analysis, unfortunately:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswith ... is-absent/
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
JD

Post by JD »

This is a bit short on details, but it is now being suggested that the popular "collapse" theory of Easter Island is not correct:
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/east ... t-be-wrong
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

JD wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 13:25 This is a bit short on details, but it is now being suggested that the popular "collapse" theory of Easter Island is not correct:
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/east ... t-be-wrong
There's plenty of evidence of an environmental collapse driven by deforesation and the introduction of rats, but that may not have led to the tribal wars and cannibalism that Jared Diamond and Thor Heirdahl theorized.
JD

Post by JD »

This is not really "joys of life", but they're going to decommission the Arecibo radio telescope. :-( Apparently it just can't be fixed safely and cost-effectively. I know that it had a good run and everything comes to an end eventually, but it's been a part of science longer than I've been alive. When I was a kid, Arecibo was one of the coolest things ever.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/19/215 ... able-break
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

JD wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 18:46 This is not really "joys of life", but they're going to decommission the Arecibo radio telescope. :-( Apparently it just can't be fixed safely and cost-effectively. I know that it had a good run and everything comes to an end eventually, but it's been a part of science longer than I've been alive. When I was a kid, Arecibo was one of the coolest things ever.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/19/215 ... able-break
Crap. Decommission an aircraft carrier instead and use a fraction of the money to refurbish Arecibo.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

JD

Post by JD »

New discovery of a polymer which can be "losslessly" de-polymerized and re-polymerized, and is based on a common existing material.
https://www.princeton.edu/news/2021/01/ ... e-plastics
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

JD wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 11:40 The apparent discovery of phosphine in the atmosphere of Venus may have actually been an artifact of the data analysis, unfortunately:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswith ... is-absent/
Follow up:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/02 ... bably-not/
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
JD

Post by JD »

JD

Post by JD »

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
JD

Post by JD »

Researchers have discovered a microbe in Switzerland's Lake Zug which has mitochondria-like symbiotes, and these symbiotes generate ATP for the host, but they do it using nitrates instead of oxygen, which has never been observed before.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/03 ... ions-past/
https://scitechdaily.com/unprecedented- ... iscovered/
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

The nitrate thing is apparently new, but endosymbiotes besides mitochondria and chloroplasts are actually pretty common. It makes sense that endosymbiosis would happen more than twice because the first two were so successful. It's a good evolutionary strategy.
--JD
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Muons: 'Strong' evidence found for a new force of nature
Prof Allanach has given the possible fifth force various names in his theoretical models. Among them are the "flavour force", the "third family hyperforce" and - most prosaic of all - "B minus L2".
I do like "Flavour Force", but I'm holding out for "Aqua Teen Hunger Force"
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Eh, not so much. The measurement very clearly disagrees with previous theoretical calculations, to a degree that edges close to physicists' standard of statistical significance. (Not to be confused with social scientists' standard of statistical significance.) However, last summer a very good group of theorists published a calculation with a different technique, and they get a number that matches up quite well with the new measurement.

Who's right? Hard to say, but right now I'd say it's a coin toss. These calculations aren't just a matter of plugging some numbers into formulas, they're very elaborate things done in many iterative steps of ever more accurate approximations. And they need to be right to many, many decimal places in order to be at all useful. A tiny error anywhere can matter a whole hell of a lot. The people with the more widely accepted answer are good, but the people with the new calculation are not crackpots.

My wager: The new measurement will hold up. Both calculations will need to be revised. When they are revised, both calculations will agree reasonably well with the new measurement. No "new forces."
--JD
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

thoreau wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 16:46 Eh, not so much. The measurement very clearly disagrees with previous theoretical calculations, to a degree that edges close to physicists' standard of statistical significance. (Not to be confused with social scientists' standard of statistical significance.) However, last summer a very good group of theorists published a calculation with a different technique, and they get a number that matches up quite well with the new measurement.

Who's right? Hard to say, but right now I'd say it's a coin toss. These calculations aren't just a matter of plugging some numbers into formulas, they're very elaborate things done in many iterative steps of ever more accurate approximations. And they need to be right to many, many decimal places in order to be at all useful. A tiny error anywhere can matter a whole hell of a lot. The people with the more widely accepted answer are good, but the people with the new calculation are not crackpots.

My wager: The new measurement will hold up. Both calculations will need to be revised. When they are revised, both calculations will agree reasonably well with the new measurement. No "new forces."
Obviously I defer to thoreau on the actual physics, but as an interested layman, I can only say I've been down the whole 'this could mean our entire model has to be revised' road too many times. Show me the anti-gravity/ftl/time travel first, then I'll say 'wow'.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

My standards aren't so strict; I just wait until it actually comes up in the science news again as anything more than "something that didn't pan out, and this is why".

In practice, this gets the same results when it comes to major paradigm shifts.

(It does make me perpetually eye-rolly at the pertetual university announcements that, due to some trivial bullshit done by a few of their grad students, we're only twenty years away from practical fusion.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

For me, it comes down to this: One group of very good theorists tried to extrapolate some fairly well-understood physics to a situation where the calculations are much harder, and they got a result that doesn't match up with experiment. The other group of very good theorists tried to tackle the hard calculations directly and got a result that almost exactly matches the experimental results. Occam's Razor says that it would be a pretty damn big coincidence if they made mistakes that just HAPPENED to match the Exotic New PhysicsTM that this experiment supposedly has evidence of.
--JD
JD

Post by JD »

Humans can taste the difference between normal water and heavy water: https://www.sciencealert.com/there-s-on ... ts-confirm

This points towards "nuclear quantum effects in chemical systems", which is pretty wild-sounding.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

No. It points to taste receptor molecules being sensitive to the frequency at which the molecules attaching to them vibrate. Bonds in heavy water vibrate at a different frequency than regular water because the deuterium is heavier and moves more slowly.
--JD
JD

Post by JD »

thoreau wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 11:01 No. It points to taste receptor molecules being sensitive to the frequency at which the molecules attaching to them vibrate. Bonds in heavy water vibrate at a different frequency than regular water because the deuterium is heavier and moves more slowly.
I defer to your knowledge, Dr. T; chemistry was never my strong suit. Is that a normal phenomenon, though, chemical reactions being sensitive to vibrational frequency?
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I did a bit more googling. Vibrational effects are actually controversial in this context, but relevant in some interactions. Other properties of heavy water, like bond length and strength, are definitely going to be relevant to how it interacts with a taste receptor. And the mass of an atom does affect bond length and bond strength.
--JD