Massive brawn to go with our massive brains

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dead_elvis

Re: Massive brawn to go with our massive brains

Post by dead_elvis »

Yeah that might make more sense. I wasn't leaning in that direction because my bike needs a bunch of work but that will be much cheaper. Just a PIA that I was procrastinating but it has to be done sometime.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
JD

Post by JD »

The other week while I was getting a fishing license*, my wife started looking at bows and decided she'd like to try archery again. Both of us are in the "took archery 25 years ago at summer camp, haven't done it since" cohort. But we discovered that there's an archery range only about a mile and a half from where we live, so the other night we went and took a class. I used one of the range's compound bows, just because I'd never gotten to use one before and I was curious about it. And it was a lot of fun and we're planning to go back soon. My wife's already gotten a bow and the various accoutrements; nothing fancy, but perfectly serviceable.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

Compound bows are great for hunting because you can hold the draw a long time, but for fun I think a modern recurve bow is where it's at.
Warren

Post by Warren »

JD wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 10:18 The other week while I was getting a fishing license*...
Pet peeve of mine, the missing footnote. Sometimes don't see it on packaging but the interwebs are lousy without it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
JD

Post by JD »

Warren wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 14:40
JD wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 10:18 The other week while I was getting a fishing license*...
Pet peeve of mine, the missing footnote. Sometimes don't see it on packaging but the interwebs are lousy without it.
Appropriately enough, I meant to say "I got nothing".
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
JD

Post by JD »

The one good thing about lockdown and having to be at home is that I've been going to the gym a lot more and longer (since I no longer have a commute to eat up two hours of my day). I can't be 100% sure, but I think may be able do more pullups now than at any time ever in my life. I've also been enjoying single-leg pushups, feet elevated, hands on a bosu ball. This morning I tried kettlebell snatches for the first time, and that was fun - you feel strong doing those even if you're not doing a lot of weight.
Highway

Post by Highway »

Not that it's going to get me all buff or anything, but I've been taking an interest in disc golf lately. I had thought about dusting the ball golf (known to everyone in the world except disc golfers as "golf") clubs out and giving them a try, but I've always been interested in giving disc golf a try, even from back in my college days 30 years ago, and the total investment in disc golf is way lower, even starting from nothing:

There is one 18-hole course in the state park about 15 minutes from my house, and a few others within 45 minutes from here, about the same as ball golf courses. The state park course is a whopping 3 dollars per person on weekends for admittance to the park, or 2 dollars per car on weekdays. The cost for discs is usually between 10 and 20 per disc, but since I'm a beginner and have no idea what I can use or like, I've gotten 3 starter / mystery box packs, for a total of 125 dollars for 15 discs. So getting all ramped up and going out to play a couple times has cost me about the cost of 2 or 3 rounds of cheap to medium golf.

Plus it's a lot easier to practice disc golf in the field at the local school, since a super long throw is on the order of 500 feet, and I can only throw about 250 feet. So I've gone out a few times to just throw them around a field and work on form and finding out how different discs fly. But in general it's pretty fun, and I'd recommend it to anyone who's ever had a mild interest. It's a nice way to get outside and walk around for an hour (practicing) or two (I'm slow and bad, and finish 9 holes in about 45 minutes, fast players can finish 18 holes in less than an hour in good conditions). Of course, now it's super hot, but I'm still trying to get out and do something.
Well, that was a long walk down a windy beach to a cafe that was closed...
lshap

Post by lshap »

PSA: whatever you do, don't buy one of these. Unless you want to feel the danger of a motorcycle plus the dorkiness of a Segway.

<iframe title="vimeo-player" src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
-linguist
JD

Post by JD »

Fun new plank variation I learned about: the Copenhagen plank. Note that the lower foot is actually suspended in midair.

JD

Post by JD »

And way tougher than it looks like it should be, the Turkish Get Up.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

If you have the money and are seeking to avoid impact, I do endorse the Hydrow. Peloton concept rower. 20 minutes going hard is a good work out. Very good for hip recovery in my case. Video content is good and coaches are also mostly very good. I was not sure the coach/video thing would be that much different from a standalone rower, but it is at least for me.

https://hydrow.com/
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JasonL wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 09:42 If you have the money and are seeking to avoid impact, I do endorse the Hydrow. Peloton concept rower. 20 minutes going hard is a good work out. Very good for hip recovery in my case. Video content is good and coaches are also mostly very good. I was not sure the coach/video thing would be that much different from a standalone rower, but it is at least for me.

https://hydrow.com/
Cool. Apparently the big thing with the Peloton concept is that it encouragest sticking with it in a way that gym memberships and standalone exercise equipment don't.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Warren

Post by Warren »

Coaches have the opposite of their intended affect on me. Whenever someone starts shouting at me to PUSH PUSH, my reflex is to stop what I'm doing and give them the finger.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 13:09 Coaches have the opposite of their intended affect on me. Whenever someone starts shouting at me to PUSH PUSH, my reflex is to stop what I'm doing and give them the finger.
Now I'm imagining you doing that to your coach during childbirth.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 13:20
Warren wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 13:09 Coaches have the opposite of their intended affect on me. Whenever someone starts shouting at me to PUSH PUSH, my reflex is to stop what I'm doing and give them the finger.
That's why Warren Jr. was stillborn.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 13:23
Wait! What? You were pregnant? Does Jennifer know? She's compiling a database.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Warren wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 13:23
Goddamn. Well played sir.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

JD wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 11:50 Fun new plank variation I learned about: the Copenhagen plank. Note that the lower foot is actually suspended in midair.

Pretty sure I pulled something just looking at that picture.
Like baptists at the glory hole

"oh dear" they mutter, unzipping their pants

-dhex
dhex

Post by dhex »

I tried that this morning it's fucking horrible 10/10 would plank again.

I got to 30 seconds and then collapsed.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
JD

Post by JD »

For extra fun, try holding a kettlebell in the air with the upper hand while you're doing it.
dhex

Post by dhex »

I've had enough head injuries for one brain thanks.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

JD wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 09:48 For extra fun, try holding a kettlebell in the air with the upper hand while you're doing it.
Yeah this sounds like a terrible idea, and I used to do 55lb get ups every week. The get up is always more supported than that.