Worthwhile Image Finds

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Eric the .5b

Re: Worthwhile Image Finds

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jadagul wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 15:51
Eric the .5b wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 15:46 It's a really neat idea, but at least some of them (the ones I checked) are wrong. It doesn't help that that they're inconsistent about names and meanings (for instance, the "United States of America" vs. just "Mexico", or "Land of the Angles" vs. "Land of the People"), but some are just simply wrong—"Argentina" just means "silvery/silver-colored", nothing about being beside a river or even land.
The Angles/People seems at least somewhat fair to me. "Deutsch" comes from a word that means "people" or "folk". "Angles" comes from a word that means "fishhook".
That's actually disputed. The confirmed angle (pun intended) is that the Angles came from Anglia, roughly in the area of the modern Anglian Peninsula. Anglia itself may mean "narrow land " or "fishhook land" or "land of fishers".

Which plays up how inconsistent the map is about levels of translation—"America" gets not-at-all-literally translated to "Amerigo", but the land-of-the names like "Angles", "Franks", "Slovaks", etc. don't get translated, even though most of those have at least one claimed meaning—and I'd be unsurprised if at least a couple of those translated to "the people", or in the case of Deutsch, "popular/of the people".
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
dhex

Post by dhex »

Not so much the bathroom but dang that coke den chic. You can smell the high priced prostitution and coke dick from here.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dhex wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 23:00 Not so much the bathroom but dang that coke den chic. You can smell the high priced prostitution and coke dick from here.
Apparently that house was in Milan in 1971.

https://cdbstudio.photoshelter.com/gall ... cY0I6uaT9Q

https://www.platformarchitecture.it/hou ... anda-vigo/
dhex

Post by dhex »

"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »