When journalism goes bad

dead_elvis

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by dead_elvis »

The Great Enverbening continues apace.
Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 8.23.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 8.23.11 AM.png (120.23 KiB) Viewed 591 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Warren

Post by Warren »

dead_elvis wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 11:57 The Great Enverbening continues apace.
Yes, it is excellenting along.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Verbing weirds language.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Mo

When journalism goes bad

Post by Mo »

You gotta love the WSJ’s bravery on impeachment. They went from, “Impeach Trump,” to, “Don’t impeach Trump for unity” in the span of a week.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-seven- ... yURL_share
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Mo

Post by Mo »

The fact that the White House is getting more questions about GME than the COVID vaccine show that the true partisan bias of the media is ‘oooh, shiny’.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
JD

Post by JD »

Mo wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 10:59 The fact that the White House is getting more questions about GME than the COVID vaccine show that the true partisan bias of the media is ‘oooh, shiny’.
I like it.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
nicole

Post by nicole »

Mo wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 10:59 The fact that the White House is getting more questions about GME than the COVID vaccine show that the true partisan bias of the media is ‘oooh, shiny’.
R-word is the real virus
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

nicole wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 11:33
R-word is the real virus
Very reluctantly not sigging this.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
nicole

Post by nicole »

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
dhex

Post by dhex »

Its always a bad move to nbomb with high school kids but man why debase yourself on the way out?
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
nicole

Post by nicole »

dhex wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 22:32 Its always a bad move to nbomb with high school kids but man why debase yourself on the way out?
Yeah I mean that’s the part that makes you want to puke.

nicole

Post by nicole »

The Times prefers to have only the literal worst people in the world on staff at this point

“r-slur” makes me want to actually die, thanks cunt

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

It's a good thing that careers aren't ruined over single instances of Wrongspeech. Other it would mean that this ridiculous incident actually happened.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

--JD
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I seriously wonder now: if he were reading aloud a passage from The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, should he censor the dreaded n-word there, too?

These idiots seem to think spoken words are like fired bullets: if one hits you it'll cause damage, regardless of the intentions of whoever pulled the trigger.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

My friend/mutual bambamramfan on tumblr had a good if not exactly uplifting take on this today.
In the case of all these cancel-firings, the actual reason the person is fired is because they are creating an external and internal relations wildfire that no one wants to deal with anymore. The hassle to the people at the top at this point far outweighs any benefits the person is bringing (this goes triply true for any non-profit relying on donations.) If your name starts being in the papers in a negative way, there are very, very few things you could do that make it worth *more* to your employer to keep you than cut you.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Jadagul wrote: 07 Feb 2021, 16:30 My friend/mutual bambamramfan on tumblr had a good if not exactly uplifting take on this today.
In the case of all these cancel-firings, the actual reason the person is fired is because they are creating an external and internal relations wildfire that no one wants to deal with anymore. The hassle to the people at the top at this point far outweighs any benefits the person is bringing (this goes triply true for any non-profit relying on donations.) If your name starts being in the papers in a negative way, there are very, very few things you could do that make it worth *more* to your employer to keep you than cut you.
I don't know what a bambamramfan is but, yes, that's why these firings are occurring, absolutely not because of any moral convictions or professional standards on the likes of the NYT but because it's just fucking easier for the employer to cut its losses.

Which makes pretty much every employee everywhere but especially C to D list celebrity types for whom some of the hoi polloi decide a comeuppance is due vulnerable. Not to give too much credit for what passes for the Republican party these days, but if you get labeled a RINO you might get kicked out of the party but the party faithful will not demand your apolitical employer sack you.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

And if you offend liberal sensibilities nobody will demand a sacking by your apolitical employer either. I know this because if they did it would be cancel culture and Will Wilkinson says cancel culture doesn't exist.
--JD
nicole

Post by nicole »

lol

dhex

Post by dhex »

What the actual living breathing fuck
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I must be really impressive. After all, reading that paragraph was my personal Omaha Beach. I, too, would rather be in Hawaii though.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

What dhex said.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
JD

Post by JD »

So that was actually seen by an editor before it went out? An editor actually saw that and said, "Yup, looks good"?
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

JD wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 13:16 So that was actually seen by an editor before it went out? An editor actually saw that and said, "Yup, looks good"?
They meant well. So intent does matter.

Except when it doesn't.
--JD