Petty annoyances

Warren

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Warren »

JD wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 11:37
A while back one of our circuit breakers tripped (not the same one that did so yesterday). But upon being reset, it would instantly trip again, even if there was nothing plugged in. When the super investigated, he found out that the insulation leading to one of the outlets was crumbling away, leading to arcing, which was what was tripping the breaker. So that outlet is out of service now until the super gets around to fixing it.
The insulation was crumbling? Is your apartment building a hundred years old? Makes me think it was getting hot, which it should never do. Sounds to me like your living in a death trap.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
JD

Post by JD »

Warren wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 12:05 The insulation was crumbling? Is your apartment building a hundred years old?
It's about one hundred twenty-five years old, actually.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

JD wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 12:06
Warren wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 12:05 The insulation was crumbling? Is your apartment building a hundred years old?
The first house I owned would be close to 90 years old now, and half of it was still wired with knob and tube when I bought it. Still worked fine when I sold it too.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Jasper wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 14:58
JD wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 12:06
The first house I owned would be close to 90 years old now, and half of it was still wired with knob and tube when I bought it. Still worked fine when I sold it too.
Knob and tube is pretty scary if you have to work around it. But at least the hot and neutral lines are kept physically distant from each other. Unless a squirrel BBQs himself on it, it's not the fire hazard of bare wires routed close enough to arc.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
JD

Post by JD »

So the super is here to fix the kitchen window today! Among the things he's discovered:
- the old window capping was put on wrong, so water pooled against the wall instead of draining away.
- there was no insulation in the wall under the window. Literally just plasterboard, vapor barrier, exterior brick.
- the plasterboard under the window wasn't even screwed into anything on one side, it was just held to the adjoining wall by the drywall tape.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
lshap

Post by lshap »

Enraged and need to vent!

These fuckers had the nerve to send me to collections and there will be hell to pay. Of course I didn't open the mail until the office was closed.

I had an upper GI and colonoscopy last year, paying about $4k out of pocket. Problem wasn't resolved so they wanted to do a camera pill. (Cool, right?).

But first, for safety, I was supposed to take a dummy pill and get an xray to make sure it would go all the way through.

Well, they fucked up, and gave me the real camera that day. The nurse then tried to rush me out of the office to cover it up. I demanded to speak to a clinician, making it clear that since I hadn't fasted this was probably going to be a waste, and I was sure as hell not paying for it.

A month goes by and I hear nothing. Except for a disturbing call from same nurse telling me they found something that sounded disturbing and demanding that I show up in two days to redo the study. Hella unprofessional. I balked and said I wanted to hear from the doctor.

He actually did call me, answered my questions, apologized for all the fuckups, so I redid the study.

Meanwhile I start getting bills for the first pill. I write, I call, I am repeatedly told it will be taken care of but "will take a few weeks". Left vm with office manager again last week, no response.

Today I get a letter that it's gone to collections.

Rage level: murder. And possibly malpractice suit!!! Nah, I won't. But I really need to scream at someone, pronto.

(I realize that they probably just wrote off the second study instead of the initial one, but I made it very clear I wasn't paying a damn thing until I saw that in writing. I've been around this block before.)
-linguist
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

lshap wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 17:20 Enraged and need to vent!

These fuckers had the nerve to send me to collections and there will be hell to pay. Of course I didn't open the mail until the office was closed.

I had an upper GI and colonoscopy last year, paying about $4k out of pocket. Problem wasn't resolved so they wanted to do a camera pill. (Cool, right?).

But first, for safety, I was supposed to take a dummy pill and get an xray to make sure it would go all the way through.

Well, they fucked up, and gave me the real camera that day. The nurse then tried to rush me out of the office to cover it up. I demanded to speak to a clinician, making it clear that since I hadn't fasted this was probably going to be a waste, and I was sure as hell not paying for it.

A month goes by and I hear nothing. Except for a disturbing call from same nurse telling me they found something that sounded disturbing and demanding that I show up in two days to redo the study. Hella unprofessional. I balked and said I wanted to hear from the doctor.

He actually did call me, answered my questions, apologized for all the fuckups, so I redid the study.

Meanwhile I start getting bills for the first pill. I write, I call, I am repeatedly told it will be taken care of but "will take a few weeks". Left vm with office manager again last week, no response.

Today I get a letter that it's gone to collections.

Rage level: murder. And possibly malpractice suit!!! Nah, I won't. But I really need to scream at someone, pronto.

(I realize that they probably just wrote off the second study instead of the initial one, but I made it very clear I wasn't paying a damn thing until I saw that in writing. I've been around this block before.)
I really think you should lawyer up. Have your lawyer send a letter detailing what happened and threatening them with a harrassment suit. (Remember to ask for your costs, too.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
lshap

Post by lshap »

Thanks Aresen. I'm never quite sure when to pull that trigger but it makes me feel justified, knowing I could.

After thinking it over and doing lots of things in my head including going to their offices and yelling; trashing them in reviews; reporting them to insurance for fraudulent billing (you better believe they paid twice); reporting them for malpractice in not following their own safety guidelines...

I went to their bill pay site and paid the copay (not the collection fee). I figure my argument still stands if they try to bill again and... it's $265. Not really worth more of my time.

I just...why are so many people sucky and incompetent?
-linguist
Highway

Post by Highway »

One wonders if it's truly incompetence, or if it's calculated to basically fleece you out of an amount that is not worth the hassle to fight. Takes almost no time to put you on a list of automated harrassment, to auto-generate letters and mail them out, and take a few phone calls.
Well, that was a long walk down a windy beach to a cafe that was closed...
lshap

Post by lshap »

Highway wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 07:42 One wonders if it's truly incompetence, or if it's calculated to basically fleece you out of an amount that is not worth the hassle to fight. Takes almost no time to put you on a list of automated harrassment, to auto-generate letters and mail them out, and take a few phone calls.
In most cases I believe it's both. My back surgeon overbilled by $2800, screwed up the bill to insurance so it took a full year to settle, and by then , no possible way they would refund it. In fact they denied me service claiming I still owed $40. It's just everywhere.

Edit: in the case of the back surgeon I let it go because he operated same day and that's probably the only reason I can still walk. Worth the added cost, in the grand scheme.

I work in health care admin, and even I can't escape this bs.
-linguist
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

lshap wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 08:26
Highway wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 07:42 One wonders if it's truly incompetence, or if it's calculated to basically fleece you out of an amount that is not worth the hassle to fight. Takes almost no time to put you on a list of automated harrassment, to auto-generate letters and mail them out, and take a few phone calls.
In most cases I believe it's both. My back surgeon overbilled by $2800, screwed up the bill to insurance so it took a full year to settle, and by then , no possible way they would refund it. In fact they denied me service claiming I still owed $40. It's just everywhere.

Edit: in the case of the back surgeon I let it go because he operated same day and that's probably the only reason I can still walk. Worth the added cost, in the grand scheme.

I work in health care admin, and even I can't escape this bs.
Well, yes because... um, Florida.

No reason not to talk to a lawyer. Sounds to me maybe their negligence has caused you considerable pain and suffering. Because, also, um ... Florida. I'd be shocked if there wasn't a medical malpractice lawyer perfectly willing to give you a free consultation and then possibly offering to represent you for a third of the take, um, recovery. It all ends up with insurance companies paying other insurance companies, both of which are in the business of screwing people over because most don't sue and those who do sue usually take a small settlement, i.e., enough to pay the lawyer for the hour or so he invested in the case and enough left over for you for a vacation.
lshap

Post by lshap »

Welp...they billed me for the redo. Now they want $1165 from me. And they applied my payment of $265 to this bill instead of the one they sent to collections.

To top it all off, my insurance EOB says I only owe $325, even if I were going to pay it.

So...what type of lawyer am I looking for? Malpractice/personal injury? More general?

Should I start with the insurance company?

My plan is to attempt to resolve it in person tomorrow and leave with a piece of paper saying I owe nothing. But I may have to go farther.
-linguist
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

lshap wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 10:02 Welp...they billed me for the redo. Now they want $1165 from me. And they applied my payment of $265 to this bill instead of the one they sent to collections.

To top it all off, my insurance EOB says I only owe $325, even if I were going to pay it.

So...what type of lawyer am I looking for? Malpractice/personal injury? More general?

My plan is to attempt to resolve it in person tomorrow and leave with a piece of paper saying I owe nothing. But I may have to go farther.
DAR is the one who would know for sure, but you have at least two issues: 1) The improper performance of the procedure in the first place (both the duplication and the injuries) and 2) The improper billing. Offhand, I'd say you start with the malpractice and throw the billing issues in as a secondary tort.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

lshap wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 10:02 Welp...they billed me for the redo. Now they want $1165 from me. And they applied my payment of $265 to this bill instead of the one they sent to collections.

I don't know exactly where you live, but pretty much anywhere close to a mid-size or larger city the state bar association sponsors a lawyer referral service. You can search the local phone number, give them a call and they'll refer you to a lawyer practicing in your area with experience in insurance disputes. You set up an appointment for a very low fee, maybe tops $100 for a half hour consultation, something like that, maybe lower, bring *all* your relevant paperwork and have written out for yourself a brief narrative of the problem as you see it.

She may well say the sum in question is too small to litigate or she might point you to a small claims court where you could dispute the charges. (There's sure to be a binding arbitration clause in your insurance policy but many states consider them unenforceable.) She might be willing to write a threatening letter, which is often all that's required, or she might say she's willing to bring an action on your behalf against the insurance company et.al in return for a part of any settlement and if you lose you owe her nothing.

I'd do this before confronting anyone in person or in writing. People all too often make what in legal jargon are called admissions against interest; that is, you might say something that could be inferred to be an admission of at least a small level of negligence on your part -- people often say such things thinking they're trying to be reasonable and accommodating -- and then you discover that the rule in your state is that any contributory negligence on the plaintiff's part is a complete defense against defendant's negligence.

That's what you are paying the lawyer the $100 or so for before you engage in further combat. To avoid those sort of pitfalls and get a realistic sense of whether you can or should fight it or just pay and be done with it.
Highway

Post by Highway »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 10:55 People all too often make what in legal jargon are called admissions against interest; that is, you might say something that could be inferred to be an admission of at least a small level of negligence on your part -- people often say such things thinking they're trying to be reasonable and accommodating -- and then you discover that the rule in your state is that any contributory negligence on the plaintiff's part is a complete defense against defendant's negligence.
I was actually wondering if the payment that was made could be in this vein. I have heard of people who get put in bad car loans or agreements like that, and are wheedled into making a payment with "Well, you can dispute it, but you should make a payment first" by the loan holder. But there is something about making that payment that says "I accept the terms of the loan" and then you are in a worse position disputing it.
Well, that was a long walk down a windy beach to a cafe that was closed...
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Highway wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 13:23
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 10:55 People all too often make what in legal jargon are called admissions against interest; that is, you might say something that could be inferred to be an admission of at least a small level of negligence on your part -- people often say such things thinking they're trying to be reasonable and accommodating -- and then you discover that the rule in your state is that any contributory negligence on the plaintiff's part is a complete defense against defendant's negligence.
I was actually wondering if the payment that was made could be in this vein. I have heard of people who get put in bad car loans or agreements like that, and are wheedled into making a payment with "Well, you can dispute it, but you should make a payment first" by the loan holder. But there is something about making that payment that says "I accept the terms of the loan" and then you are in a worse position disputing it.
I don't want to get into the weeds here because it would require actual work on my part and get precariously close to offering legal advice but, yes, there are circumstances under which an otherwise noncollectable debt, e.g., because the statute of limitations has lapsed, can be revived by certain acts by the debtor.
lshap

Post by lshap »

Thank you all.
Ugh what an effing mess.

I'll have to give this some thought.
-linguist
lshap

Post by lshap »

My issue is ready to transfer to the "good things" thread.

I walked into the office, paperwork in hand, and was quickly taken into the billing office. She already had checked my account, remembered speaking to me, and apologized for everything. After a few hours, she sent me a zero balance due receipt and called off the collectors.

Thank zod. My old body does not deal well with stress of this kind. Very relieved to find people doing the right thing for once.
-linguist
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

lshap wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 16:45 My issue is ready to transfer to the "good things" thread.

I walked into the office, paperwork in hand, and was quickly taken into the billing office. She already had checked my account, remembered speaking to me, and apologized for everything. After a few hours, she sent me a zero balance due receipt and called off the collectors.

Thank zod. My old body does not deal well with stress of this kind. Very relieved to find people doing the right thing for once.
Yay!

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I bought a computer on Marketplace, it had a password, I started trying to reset it, right when that started the owner texted me the password, so then I stopped the reset LIKE THE BIGGEST IDIOT IN THE UNIVERSE and now I have a large brick that won't boot or reset itself.
Like baptists at the glory hole

"oh dear" they mutter, unzipping their pants

-dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Ellie wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 10:16 I bought a computer on Marketplace, it had a password, I started trying to reset it, right when that started the owner texted me the password, so then I stopped the reset LIKE THE BIGGEST IDIOT IN THE UNIVERSE and now I have a large brick that won't boot or reset itself.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Piggyback Petty Jealousy - my wife bought a new laptop for gaming, an Asus TUF-something; kinda middle of the road loadout, so she could play some more graphics-heavy stuff than the Don't Starves or Stardew Valleys she usually gravitates to. We've been playing some local co-op ARK: Survival Evolved over the past week, and her graphics are better than mine!

Petty Annoyance - dear lord, the woman can't build in a straight line to save her life. I'll grant that snap points shouldn't be that finicky, but have some patience!
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Ellie wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 10:16 I bought a computer on Marketplace, it had a password, I started trying to reset it, right when that started the owner texted me the password, so then I stopped the reset LIKE THE BIGGEST IDIOT IN THE UNIVERSE and now I have a large brick that won't boot or reset itself.
Can you call the company's customer service line to see about getting that fixed? I highly doubt you're the first person to have such a problem; I doubt you're even among the first one million people who did.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Some Peloton motherfuckers are charging their Peloton bullshit on my card. This. Will. Not. Stand.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

After I called the bank to dispute the charges and cancel my card, I called Peloton in the hopes that they could track the charge to the device and get the cops involved.

If they catch the guy, I'm hoping they sentence him to a year of not being able to casually mention he has a Peloton.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper