Petty annoyances

JD

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by JD »

Product manuals that don't match up with the actual product. I'm trying to use my Ninja FoodiTM to do pressure cooking. Firstly, it's hard to even be sure that it's the right manual; the manual says "Ninja Foodi OP300" but the actual cooker just says "Ninja" on it, you have to look really hard to find the word "Foodi", and "OP300" appears nowhere on it.

For pressure cooking, the manual says
Press the PRESSURE button, the unit will default to high (HI) pressure and a time setting of 2 minutes.
It's actually 10 minutes
Your Foodi will begin to build pressure, indicated by the rotating lights
There are no rotating lights, just the word "PRE"

I get that products change all the time, but damn, it seems like it should be the manufacturer's responsibility to make sure the product and the manual are in reasonable sync on basic stuff.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

JD wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 10:22 Product manuals that don't match up with the actual product.
I have experienced this with every operating system I have ever used.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Is it just me? Or is repeating something three or more times becoming standard English?
I heard and understood you the first time you said it. Why are you still saying it?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Way back in January 2018, I boasted (with much justification, IMO), about how I'd buckled down and invested a decent amount of time in finally doing a proper organization/re-organization of mine and Jeff's then-cluttered apartment (which in those days was usually messy because "It's not that I oppose putting things back where they belong; it's that this particular thing HAS no designated belonging-place"); I started out with some stackable plastic countertop drawers I already happened to have on hand, but also bought lots of organizational stuff from Dollar Tree because they had an entire aisle of plastic storage/organizational stuff--mainly bins, boxes and trays in various sizes ranging from "shelf/locker bins" to smaller trays and boxes for organizing drawers. When I did that first major home-organization in early 2018, I made several trips to Dollar Tree to buy storage items to subdivide one large empty space into several smaller spaces, before filling said space with stuff. I also told various people here, when they expressed interest in similar organization binges in their own homes, that if they needed small plastic drawer or shelf storage, Dollar Tree stores all had an entire aisle dedicated to such items, for far lower prices than even Walmart or Target asked for the same size and type of items. Then in 2020, when being stuck at home because of covid was a new thing, I went on another home-reorg spree, resulting in a couple more Dollar Tree supply visits.

But apparently, Dollar Tree stores have stopped selling those particular plastic storage items -- the past three times I visited my local DT, since the start of this year, the plastic-storage aisle was almost empty and looked as though it had never even been re-stocked (they had only the same handful of unwanted reject items there each time). Then yesterday, Jeff and I visited a grocery store some distance from us, in a better neighborhood than ours, and next to the grocery was another Dollar Tree, much bigger and nicer than the one nearest me, so I went in there to see if they had any plastic storage -- nope, that store didn't even have a labelled aisle for such things.

Tl;dr: apparently Dollar Tree discontinued their various lines of inexpensive plastic storage containers I'd relied on for sorting and holding sundry small, easy-to-lose items.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
JD

Post by JD »

Warren wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 12:03 Is it just me? Or is repeating something three or more times becoming standard English?
I heard and understood you the first time you said it. Why are you still saying it?
Because it is very common for people to not hear and understand something, or at least understand the import of it, the first time you say it.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
lshap

Post by lshap »

I used some United miles to book a trip today. TPA-(IAH)-CUN round trip.

When the confirmation arrived in gmail, google sent me a notice, created a trip in my calendar, and put their own version of the flight schedule appended to the top of the email. They even offered me tourist advice... except...

It said my trip was IAH to Santa Ana Mexico to CUN.

I nearly had a heart attack and called United before I realized it was Google's fuck up rather than United's or mine.

Google gaslighted me, y'all. 🤪
-linguist
lshap

Post by lshap »

Up at 4:30 so ...coffee?
Fill coffee grounds.
Go to sink to fill carafe.

Smash! Wait, smash? What smash?

Dammit, that's the carafe broken.

Amazon, save me!
Replacement carafe: $21. Replacement coffee maker with carafe: $25.

Save the earth by paying for my clumsiness, rather than creating more trash, I guess?
-linguist
Warren

Post by Warren »

The universe is telling you to upgrade to the $30 coffee maker with those features you don't think you need but once you have you can't live without.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Highway

Post by Highway »

lshap wrote: 01 May 2021, 04:41 Up at 4:30 so ...coffee?
Fill coffee grounds.
Go to sink to fill carafe.

Smash! Wait, smash? What smash?

Dammit, that's the carafe broken.

Amazon, save me!
Replacement carafe: $21. Replacement coffee maker with carafe: $25.

Save the earth by paying for my clumsiness, rather than creating more trash, I guess?
Plus, everyone I hear who gets a new coffee maker hates something about it. Eventually they get Stockholm Syndrome and just live with it, but then a new coffee maker will have new hates. If you've made peace with the one you have, just get the carafe.
Well, that was a long walk down a windy beach to a cafe that was closed...
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Highway speaks wisdom. My Mr. Coffee K-cup authorized knockoff is okay. I drink a lot more coffee if I don't have to fuck around with grounds and filters.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I switched to cold-brew pitchers a couple months before covid, and it is GREAT. Not only does the coffee taste better IMO, but when you're first waking up, merely pouring a cup from a pitcher is ever-so-much easier than fiddling with a hot-coffee maker.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
lshap

Post by lshap »

I ordered the carafe. But of course it's not here yet, so I woke up again wanting coffee and nit having any. 🤬

Back to 7/11 I go!

Edit: cold brew sounds like a good option, except that it involves planning ahead.
-linguist
dhex

Post by dhex »

You can always go the route I did and get something you cannot break

https://www.espro.com/product/coffee-p7

It's mildly more involved than a drip machine.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

dhex wrote: 02 May 2021, 10:34 You can always go the route I did and get something you cannot break

https://www.espro.com/product/coffee-p7

It's mildly more involved than a drip machine.
Ha! I bought a stainless steel coffee press several years ago (and for decidedly less than that model) but we've never used it. It just seems like too much trouble.
dhex

Post by dhex »

i really like the espro but it was a gift (and definitely less than 140USD). I'd likely never get one for myself, but it is the easiest press to clean that I've ever used, in large part because unless I hit it with a sledge i won't be able to break it.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

lshap wrote: 02 May 2021, 08:37 I ordered the carafe. But of course it's not here yet, so I woke up again wanting coffee and nit having any. 🤬

Back to 7/11 I go!

Edit: cold brew sounds like a good option, except that it involves planning ahead.
Another thought -- not for everyday coffee use, but for emergencies/hurricane kits -- if there are any Asian/Indian supermarkets convenient to you, check to see if they have "Mr Brown"-brand canned coffee drinks. Before I switched to cold-brew I'd always have several cans of it chilling in the fridge, in case I wanted coffee RIGHT NOW rather than wait for a pot to finish brewing.
JD

Post by JD »

We complained to the landlord about some damage to our tub, so he arranged for somebody to come reglaze it. They did, not surprisingly, a quick and sloppy job, because our landlord is a cheap bastard. I'm annoyed because now our place is stunk up with fumes and we can't use the tub for a day, for a "repair" I wouldn't have paid three dollars for. At least we didn't pay anything for it, but I'm going to convey to the landlord my feelings that he got ripped off.
lshap

Post by lshap »

JD wrote: 04 May 2021, 15:47 We complained to the landlord about some damage to our tub, so he arranged for somebody to come reglaze it. They did, not surprisingly, a quick and sloppy job, because our landlord is a cheap bastard. I'm annoyed because now our place is stunk up with fumes and we can't use the tub for a day, for a "repair" I wouldn't have paid three dollars for. At least we didn't pay anything for it, but I'm going to convey to the landlord my feelings that he got ripped off.
Imho this is a bit beyond petty annoyance. But then, I'm a bather.

What recourse do you have at this point to have it properly fixed? I always felt at the mercy of the landlord when I was a renter.
-linguist
JD

Post by JD »

lshap wrote: 05 May 2021, 08:05
JD wrote: 04 May 2021, 15:47 We complained to the landlord about some damage to our tub, so he arranged for somebody to come reglaze it. They did, not surprisingly, a quick and sloppy job, because our landlord is a cheap bastard. I'm annoyed because now our place is stunk up with fumes and we can't use the tub for a day, for a "repair" I wouldn't have paid three dollars for. At least we didn't pay anything for it, but I'm going to convey to the landlord my feelings that he got ripped off.
Imho this is a bit beyond petty annoyance. But then, I'm a bather.

What recourse do you have at this point to have it properly fixed? I always felt at the mercy of the landlord when I was a renter.
Yeah, it's pretty frustrating. The company wants to come back and fix it, and I guess we'll let them do that, of course, but it's still really annoying because the bathtub is worse now, not better. The "reglazing" has runs and drips in it, and some of it came up when I peeled off the masking tape. I could have done as good a job with a can of latex paint.

The really annoying part is that we have these repairs we'd like to see done, and every time we bring them up with the landlord, he comes up with some "compromise" that's actually worse than doing nothing. For example, we have some damaged flooring in the living room; the landlord's suggestion was to replace half the floor of the living room with something completely different and put a threshold down the middle.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

I did my census form online two days ago. (Canada census is in years ending in 1 with a partial census in years ending in 6.)

I was a little annoyed they insisted I provide my phone number and email address as part of the process. Yeah, Statistics Canada, I really trust your security and promise of secrecy.

I input an old email address I hardly ever use any more.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Highway

Post by Highway »

Aresen wrote: 07 May 2021, 14:21 I input an old email address I hardly ever use any more.
If you use a gmail address, you can use some tricks to get additional addresses. The benefit is that they can still be seen on your main gmail account, but you can also filter them if they end up spammy.
Well, that was a long walk down a windy beach to a cafe that was closed...
lshap

Post by lshap »

Today so far:

The gimpy one (hubby had surgery on Friday) got hungry after I'd gone to bed last night. Not wanting to disturb me, he went to the kitchen and carried snacks to the bedroom on his walker. He spilled a bunch of Ritz on the floor and, given the choice of trash can or sink, chose to throw them in the sink. Here it is, noon, I'm almost done with my chores, and he tells me about this, so I find wet Ritz in a completely clogged sink.

Why the sink???
He didn't want ants.

.... I guess it's the pain meds?

Meanwhile, it's dog washing day and the little one was a complete asshole and nearly broke my damn leg, causing me to yell Goddammit! loudly enough for all my god-fearing neighbors to enjoy on a Sunday.

Happy Mother's Day/11th Anniversary to me!!!

😂😂😂😂
-linguist
Warren

Post by Warren »

Highway wrote: 07 May 2021, 15:45
Aresen wrote: 07 May 2021, 14:21 I input an old email address I hardly ever use any more.
If you use a gmail address, you can use some tricks to get additional addresses. The benefit is that they can still be seen on your main gmail account, but you can also filter them if they end up spammy.
This is why I have 4 AOL addresses. I also have three gmail addresses. But I snagged one of those for a joke, and another for a project I stopped working on.

I assumed everybody was doing this.

ETA I also have a yahoo address.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
JD

Post by JD »

Today, the tub and tile people are coming back to fix their earlier screwup with the tub. AND the super is coming to fix the floor and install a ceiling fan. I have a feeling both the cats and I will be very stressed out today.
JD

Post by JD »

Highway wrote: 07 May 2021, 15:45
The only downside is that you may occasionally run into a broken email system that doesn't accept those, or mangles them in some way. It's rare, but it can happen.

I still remember how, years ago, I tried using a + email address like jd+monster@example.com for Monster.com, and discovered that Monster silently dropped "special characters" from email addresses when saving them. That last according to their support when I complained: "we drop special characters from email addresses" was literally the entirety of the response from their support team, which is amazingly stupid on several levels - + is not a "special character", it's a perfectly valid character in email addresses, and if you arbitrarily drop characters, you are very likely to end up with a broken address or at least not the same address. Most places aren't as bad as Monster, but every now and then I run into a system that insists that a plus address is not valid.