Surprise! It's Government's Good Side

Aresen

Re: Surprise! It's Government's Good Side

Post by Aresen »

Jennifer wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 15:14 This could be cross-posted as a "random covid-19 observation": the county where I live has a lot of poor people (as does the Atlanta area in general -- lots of wealth crammed next to lots of poverty), and the schools have been closed since March, but Jeff noticed a couple days ago that every weekday the school bus still comes to this neighborhood: not to take kids to school, but to pass out bag lunches to kids who otherwise might go hungry without that in-school lunch.
Have the parents requested the lunches be doped with ritalin yet? :twisted:
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Aresen wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 15:42
Jennifer wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 15:14 This could be cross-posted as a "random covid-19 observation": the county where I live has a lot of poor people (as does the Atlanta area in general -- lots of wealth crammed next to lots of poverty), and the schools have been closed since March, but Jeff noticed a couple days ago that every weekday the school bus still comes to this neighborhood: not to take kids to school, but to pass out bag lunches to kids who otherwise might go hungry without that in-school lunch.
Have the parents requested the lunches be doped with ritalin yet? :twisted:
You misspelled ketamine
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I filed a complaint with the city about a broken street light down by the crick, and they fixed it a mere six months later! Now to file a complaint about the one next to it...
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 21:34 I filed a complaint with the city about a broken street light down by the crick, and they fixed it a mere six months later! Now to file a complaint about the one next to it...
You know the underage kids that go down by the crick to drink are shooting out the lights right?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

crick?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

You know, right next to the watson.
Like baptists at the glory hole

"oh dear" they mutter, unzipping their pants

-dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 13:30crick?
Cricks are the trailer parks of watercourses.

http://www.finefishing.com/1flyfish/hum ... hcrick.htm
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

"Biden to order DOJ to end private prison contracts as part of racial equity push"
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/26/biden-t ... r=sharebar
Like baptists at the glory hole

"oh dear" they mutter, unzipping their pants

-dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Ellie wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 16:41 "Biden to order DOJ to end private prison contracts as part of racial equity push"
Well, it's not nothing. But it's pretty damn close.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Hugh Akston wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 16:54
Ellie wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 16:41 "Biden to order DOJ to end private prison contracts as part of racial equity push"
Well, it's not nothing. But it's pretty damn close.
Sounds more like a payoff to public sector unions than anything else.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Yeah, I've said my piece on the unseriousness regarding private prisons.

Though at this point, I'd wish they'd just ban them, so as to take away the scapegoat.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Eric the .5b wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 19:50 Yeah, I've said my piece on the unseriousness regarding private prisons.

Though at this point, I'd wish they'd just ban them, so as to take away the scapegoat.
:roll:
Bah yahy uhhh errr ohhhhh kay fine.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Hey, if it makes an idiot babble, maybe it has promise.
lshap

Post by lshap »

Eric the .5b wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 20:29 Hey, if it makes an idiot babble, maybe it has promise.
Haven't followed the whole discussion obviously, but I agree with you about private prisons needing to go. "Orange is the New Black" illustrated it pretty well...

- a for-profit industry has motives that go against the public interest of correction/rehabilitation.
- turning prisons into capitalist enterprise encourages them to find more "customers" and cut costs to increase profits.

It's perverse.
-linguist
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

lshap wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 20:44
Eric the .5b wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 20:29 Hey, if it makes an idiot babble, maybe it has promise.
Haven't followed the whole discussion obviously, but I agree with you about private prisons needing to go. "Orange is the New Black" illustrated it pretty well...

- a for-profit industry has motives that go against the public interest of correction/rehabilitation.
- turning prisons into capitalist enterprise encourages them to find more "customers" and cut costs to increase profits.

It's perverse.
Sure. But I think the general consensus around these parts is that eliminating or limiting private prisons is a band aid on an aterial cut. Politicians get to say they’ve done something to address the uglier side of the justice system, meanwhile the prison combine drives on.
Middle America is bestest America
lshap

Post by lshap »

Agreed, then. Incremental steps may be the only path, though.
-linguist
Mo

Post by Mo »

lshap wrote:

It's perverse.
Part of the problem is that prison guard unions act in the same way.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Contracted public 'services' are no better or worse than the same services performed by government employees. The incentives, including perverse incentives, differ some and overlap some but in the grand scheme of what's wrong with the criminal justice system it's trivial and, as noted above, a nod to public unions.
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Tbh, as part of his racial equity thing, I'm surprised he and Kamalalamadingdong didn't push for more minority-owned prisons.
JD

Post by JD »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 22:55 Contracted public 'services' are no better or worse than the same services performed by government employees. The incentives, including perverse incentives, differ some and overlap some but in the grand scheme of what's wrong with the criminal justice system it's trivial and, as noted above, a nod to public unions.
Cosigned. The main objection to privately-run prisons seems to be that they're private, like the government can't, and doesn't, imprison tens of thousands of people in inhumane conditions all by itself.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Warren

Post by Warren »

JD wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 09:44
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 22:55 Contracted public 'services' are no better or worse than the same services performed by government employees. The incentives, including perverse incentives, differ some and overlap some but in the grand scheme of what's wrong with the criminal justice system it's trivial and, as noted above, a nod to public unions.
Cosigned. The main objection to privately-run prisons seems to be that they're private, like the government can't, and doesn't, imprison tens of thousands of people in inhumane conditions all by itself.
Yep yep yep
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Mo

Post by Mo »

JD wrote:
The main difference being is with government run, the employees are a single interest group. And you can mitigate it some by ending public service unions. With private, the employees and shareholders are an interest group and can span multiple geographies.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

lshap wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 20:44- a for-profit industry has motives that go against the public interest of correction/rehabilitation.
Except there's no evidence that private prisons are meaningfully worse than public prisons, which make up all but a small fraction of US prisons and contain the vast majority of prisoners. And we see the exact same dynamic from public prison guard unions, just writ much larger—remember, they're the ones who helped push mandatory minimums. Meanwhile, there's a large population of progressives who, when the topic of the prison system comes up, will obsessively rant about the evils of private prisons (and only private prisons).

The whole thing is basically the moderate left's version of "defund the NEA and NPR in the name of limited government". And while I might think it'd be nice to take the private enterprise scapegoat away and shame those twits into actually putting some energy toward fixing prisons, it's probably more likely that they'd declare victory and backburner the whole issue.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Mo wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 10:38The main difference being is with government run, the employees are a single interest group. And you can mitigate it some by ending public service unions.
I'd love to (or at least for anything related to law enforcement), but I'm in a realist mood today. There's no political route to this. It'd be more plausible to accomplish the literal defunding of the police.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Eric the .5b wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 15:32
lshap wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 20:44- a for-profit industry has motives that go against the public interest of correction/rehabilitation.
Except there's no evidence that private prisons are meaningfully worse than public prisons, which make up all but a small fraction of US prisons and contain the vast majority of prisoners. And we see the exact same dynamic from public prison guard unions, just writ much larger—remember, they're the ones who helped push mandatory minimums. Meanwhile, there's a large population of progressives who, when the topic of the prison system comes up, will obsessively rant about the evils of private prisons (and only private prisons).

The whole thing is basically the moderate left's version of "defund the NEA and NPR in the name of limited government". And while I might think it'd be nice to take the private enterprise scapegoat away and shame those twits into actually putting some energy toward fixing prisons, it's probably more likely that they'd declare victory and backburner the whole issue.
Even as we discuss this, prison issues have already been backburnered.