Post Urbanism?

Ellie

Re: Post Urbanism?

Post by Ellie »

Highway wrote: 13 Feb 2021, 23:28I'm hoping that my workplaces keep the accommodations to continue to work from home even as some or most people are back in the office. Allow for meetings via Zoom / Teams / Google Meet, especially for inter-organization meetings. Personally, I'm probably past a point where it would hold me back for promotion or anything to not be in the office (I am pretty much at the ceiling of what I'm going to do, and having consciously resisted moving into management, I think that has passed me by, which is mostly welcome, although a little bit regretful), but I can see people not in the office being thought of as less productive, less 'present', which could affect them.
As a single parent with four children I hope never to have to send to school, I am very hopeful that my workplace does let me continue WFH or I can find a similar job that does. I'm also hoping that they'll let me switch my "two days in the building per month" to be for coming to take pictures at events -- the one thing that I'm REALLY feeling the lack of; even if most of our events are online right now, we still need pictures to advertise them, and nobody else is giving me ANYTHING to work with. Instead of having to use two days on fucking STAFF MEETINGS argh argh argh
Like baptists at the glory hole

"oh dear" they mutter, unzipping their pants

-dhex
Highway

Post by Highway »

Ellie wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 20:10
Highway wrote: 13 Feb 2021, 23:28I'm hoping that my workplaces keep the accommodations to continue to work from home even as some or most people are back in the office. Allow for meetings via Zoom / Teams / Google Meet, especially for inter-organization meetings. Personally, I'm probably past a point where it would hold me back for promotion or anything to not be in the office (I am pretty much at the ceiling of what I'm going to do, and having consciously resisted moving into management, I think that has passed me by, which is mostly welcome, although a little bit regretful), but I can see people not in the office being thought of as less productive, less 'present', which could affect them.
As a single parent with four children I hope never to have to send to school, I am very hopeful that my workplace does let me continue WFH or I can find a similar job that does. I'm also hoping that they'll let me switch my "two days in the building per month" to be for coming to take pictures at events -- the one thing that I'm REALLY feeling the lack of; even if most of our events are online right now, we still need pictures to advertise them, and nobody else is giving me ANYTHING to work with. Instead of having to use two days on fucking STAFF MEETINGS argh argh argh
If you absolutely have to have staff meetings, telemeetings are the best way to have them. I've addressed many issues during our meetings by being able to look for answers while the meeting continues, rather than the ol' "Let me check and get back to you." Plus, the meetings we've had have worked well to keep the community aspect of that group going through this pandemic. The other groups I work for don't have more than weekly meetings together, and they're much more focused on current tasks than group cohesiveness. So they don't really fulfill that "keep us thinking as a team" need.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Personally, I'm Team Highway. If I didn't have a couple of minions that need to be physically in the lab to do their jobs, I'd be wfh a lot more.

As it is, I'm angling for a position (lateral move with broader responsibilities and better advancement opportunities) that will allow me that freedom.