The capitol insurrection and its aftermath

Mo

Re: The capitol insurrection and its aftermath

Post by Mo »

Shem wrote:I thought Tucker Carlson was the white nationalist version of Tucker Carlson.
He is. I meant the Tucker Carlson of today is the white nationalist version of 2005 Tucker Carlson, who, at that point, was just a moderately more telegenic George Will.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
nicole

Post by nicole »

Hugh Akston wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 21:29
Highway wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 19:51 I don't want to bother with Gabe Hoffman's twitter timeline, but wonder how much of it is decrying "liberal cancel culture!"
Sorry to break this to you but there is very clearly no such thing as cancel culture.
Duh

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Mo

The capitol insurrection and its aftermath

Post by Mo »

I don’t think his Pence joke pissed off lefties. If anything, it makes Shem’s point.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Mo wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 21:45
Shem wrote:I thought Tucker Carlson was the white nationalist version of Tucker Carlson.
He is. I meant the Tucker Carlson of today is the white nationalist version of 2005 Tucker Carlson, who, at that point, was just a moderately more telegenic George Will.
Somewhere along the way he traded in his bow ties for some pretend jackboots.
Warren

Post by Warren »

nicole wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 19:35 I’ve been a lot less crazy about WW for a while now but it was complete bullshit for him to have been fired over this (thread)
I agree that it's bullshit, but it's the same bullshit that everyone else is held to.
The opinions which are still persecuted strike the majority as so monstrous and immoral that the general principle of toleration cannot be held to apply to them. But this is exactly the same view as that which made possible the tortures of the Inquisition. - Bertrand Russell
Shem

Post by Shem »

Mo wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 22:06 I don’t think his Pence joke pissed off lefties. If anything, it makes Shem’s point.
A two minute glance at the guy's Twitter feed makes it pretty clear some people decided "own goal, shmown goal, a point's a point."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

FWIW, Robby Soave has often clashed with WW over cancel culture, and he says the following:
Indeed, given that I am primarily known for criticizing cancel culture, Wilkinson—who once tweeted "Cancel culture, lol" and also suggested I branch out to "slightly more important stories"—may be the closest thing I have to an ideological foe. In that spirit, I oppose his firing, and encourage his employers to reconsider.
https://reason.com/2021/01/22/niskanen- ... l-culture/
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

I liked WW well enough, I guess, but the irony of him being canceled is almost as tasty as salty ham tears.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

The Beer Belly Putsch was supposedly getting inside help:

In charging papers, the FBI said that during the Capitol riot, Caldwell received Facebook messages from unspecified senders updating him of the location of lawmakers. When he posted a one-word message, “Inside,” he received exhortations and directions describing tunnels, doors and hallways, the FBI said.

Some messages, according to the FBI, included, “Tom all legislators are down in the Tunnels 3floors down,” and “Go through back house chamber doors facing N left down hallway down steps.” Another message read: “All members are in the tunnels under capital seal them in. Turn on gas,” the FBI added.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/le ... story.html

If this is true then the FBI and/or NSA had better reveal who sent those messages from inside.
--JD
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I can't read the Washington Post, but I saw a partial screenshot including that quote on the CapitolConsequences subreddit. Definitely curious to see just how deep this goes -- there's a couple new GOP congresspeople I wouldn't be surprised to learn were involved, and maybe Sen. Hawley. Would Ted Cruz be that craven/stupid? I honestly don't know, at this point. But I wouldn't bet against any legislator who still voted to suppress election results even after the riot.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
dhex

Post by dhex »

I'm not saying it's impossible. It's certainly possible. But until we see some stuff beyond sources say, I'm mentally putting this in moved the barriers for them land.

Eta is Cruz dumb enough to use a patsy who would be easily unmasked? Dunno. One of the q bot freshmen reps? Yeah that seems real plausible. It'd be appropriately trumpy.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

I've never paid close attention to Cruz so I have no idea how dumb or smart he is.

However, I note he just started a new term and is not up for re-election until 2026, so fortunately for him, the fiasco of January 6th, 2021 and his role in it will probably be a long-faded memory by that point.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Mo

Post by Mo »

Cruz is up in 2024

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Mo wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 10:08Cruz is up in 2024
Oops. You're right. I'd forgotten him vs Beto O'Rourke in 2018 & mixed it up with Cornyn's re-election.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

It wasn't Ted Cruz. He's not a Trump trufan, and he lacks the vertebral fortitude to actually risk anything for any cause. The big name Team Red senators: Cruz, Graham, McConnell, Rand, etc. just blew with the wind that was coming from Donald Trump, and they'll blow some other way when he's gone.

There are some congresscritters who got elected on the Q ticket, and if any elected official is involved it was them.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Hugh Akston wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 11:12 It wasn't Ted Cruz. He's not a Trump trufan, and he lacks the vertebral fortitude to actually risk anything for any cause. The big name Team Red senators: Cruz, Graham, McConnell, Rand, etc. just blew with the wind that was coming from Donald Trump, and they'll blow some other way when he's gone.

There are some congresscritters who got elected on the Q ticket, and if any elected official is involved it was them.
It was Cruz and Hawley that put the motion forward in the Senate. They may not have been the instigators, but they tried to jump to the front of the parade and pretend they were leaders.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Aresen wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 11:15
Hugh Akston wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 11:12 It wasn't Ted Cruz. He's not a Trump trufan, and he lacks the vertebral fortitude to actually risk anything for any cause. The big name Team Red senators: Cruz, Graham, McConnell, Rand, etc. just blew with the wind that was coming from Donald Trump, and they'll blow some other way when he's gone.

It was Cruz and Hawley that put the motion forward in the Senate. They may not have been the instigators, but they tried to jump to the front of the parade and pretend they were leaders.
True, but there's a big gap betweeen introducing a resolution that you know is doomed to failure and providing real-time intel and assistance to people storming the capitol.
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Team Hugh.

Cruz is slimy and selfish Hawley is both of those with more savvy.

Boebert, Cawthorn, and Taylor-Green seem like they'd enjoy a Les Mis LARP.
--JD
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Agreed. It saddens me to believe that it's highly unlikely we'll find any evidence of actual collusion between Cruz and Hawley and the mob and it will delight me if it turns out that there was and appropriate measures are therefore taken against them, but the smart money bet is that they're craven hypocrites and opportunists, not traitors. QAnon Girl or Louie Gohmert, who is stupid even by Texas Republican standards, otoh? Sure, I'd buy that.
Shem

Post by Shem »

thoreau wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 11:33 Cruz is slimy and selfish Hawley is both of those with more savvy.
You have that exactly backwards.

It'll wind up being a low-level staffer. Whether it was actually them, or whether they were working under the orders of someone higher... That will be hard to determine.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

It's not that I think Cruz actually incited or otherwise colluded with the mob. It's more that he postured in a very Trump-friendly manner during at the time. Right now, his 'guilt by association' would take him down in a rematch of the 2018 Texas Senate race. By 2024, there will be enough intervening crap that it will be old news and not carry much weight.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Shem wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 16:04
thoreau wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 11:33 Cruz is slimy and selfish Hawley is both of those with more savvy.
You have that exactly backwards.

It'll wind up being a low-level staffer. Whether it was actually them, or whether they were working under the orders of someone higher... That will be hard to determine.
The fact that we don't yet know much tells me that the number of people working together must have been small. Could somebody be dumb enough to work with the rioters? Out of the thousands of people working on the Hill, there's always going to be a few people dumb enough for just about anything. Could somebody be dumb enough to trust a supervisor who says "Please help these people commit a federal crime?" Well, plenty of crimes involve multiple people working together. Could a large number of people be that stupid AND keep their mouths shut? No.

I'm also seeing reports (from "anonymous capitol staffers") that the directions quoted in the WaPo story indicate the people involved don't know much about the actual layout. If that's true (note the "if") then it could easily be an idiot in his basement wearing tacti-cool gear and talking into his headset like he's in the Command Center in some action movie. "Patriot 1, this is 1776 Actual, do you copy?" "What's your 20? Over." "Move your team to a defensible position two levels down, maintain radio silence until in position. Over." (And if I'm misquoting the actual military lingo, it's because I'm going off of action movies, like the LARP crew probably was.)
--JD
Shem

Post by Shem »

Or a staffer who just got his job two days before. My money is on it being some Qultist Rep's intern.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Shem wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 19:24 Or a staffer who just got his job two days before. My money is on it being some Qultist Rep's intern.
Seems plausible. Young, dumb, new enough to not yet be integrated into the institution, and new enough to not yet grasp how many cameras and other surveillance measures are present.

I'd like to know more about the reportedly suspicious tours that happened the day before. There are plenty of possible benign explanations, but it's worth looking into.
--JD
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

This seems like the sort of incident that might warrant a congressional commission.