The capitol insurrection and its aftermath

Aresen

Re: The capitol insurrection and its aftermath

Post by Aresen »

Jennifer wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 21:29 ... (assuming anything could get through to them at this point).
IMHO, if Trump buggered an altar boy on right on the altar, the Trumpsters would accept whatever lies or excuses he gave for it.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 21:39
thoreau wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 21:32 I guess I'm just not willing to get my hopes up about McConnell. It's fucking Mitch McConnell.
Same here. I'm just saying he has no reason to have personal political fear of Trump.
As dark and machiavellian as he is, he seems to be a party man. If the base would punish his caucus then he might not do it.

I have no doubt that McConnell is furious with Trump and personally rattled by what happened. If his personal rage dominates then he'll convict. But the longer he has to cool off then the more likely partisan considerations will come into the calculation.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

By now, I suspect, even the densest of Trump fans is figuring out he is not going to pardon the capitol rioters after all.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Jennifer wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 15:55 By now, I suspect, even the densest of Trump fans is figuring out he is not going to pardon the capitol rioters after all.
Who would have guessed that Trump would throw his most loyal supporters under the bus the second they became a liability.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Hugh Akston wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 16:13
Jennifer wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 15:55 By now, I suspect, even the densest of Trump fans is figuring out he is not going to pardon the capitol rioters after all.
Who would have guessed that Trump would throw his most loyal supporters under the bus the second they became a liability.
As low as that bar is, tens of millions of Americans still managed to trip over it.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
JD

Post by JD »

Thankfully, it looks like today was pretty quiet for the most part. Small numbers of demonstrators. Although there was this:

I'm pretty sure that flag is some kind of crime against graphic design.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

There is a small part of my cold, black libertarian heart that respects the audacity of Qanon grifters selling hideous bullshit like that to gullible trumpster morons.
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Hugh Akston wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 17:14 There is a small part of my cold, black libertarian heart that respects the audacity of Qanon grifters selling hideous bullshit like that to gullible trumpster morons.
It makes me smile.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

NYT wrote:But since then, discontent with Mr. Trump, who later condemned the violence, has boiled over. On social media, Proud Boys participants have complained about his willingness to leave office and said his disavowal of the Capitol rampage was an act of betrayal. And Mr. Trump, cut off on Facebook and Twitter, has been unable to talk directly to them to soothe their concerns or issue new rallying cries.

The Proud Boys’ anger toward Mr. Trump has heightened after he did nothing to help those in the group who face legal action for the Capitol violence. On Wednesday, a Proud Boy leader, Joseph Biggs, 37, was arrested in Florida and charged with unlawful entry and corruptly obstructing an official proceeding in the riot. At least four other members of the group also face charges stemming from the attack.
"There's a Proud Boy born every minute." - Donald Barnum Trump

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 17:14 There is a small part of my cold, black libertarian heart that respects the audacity of Qanon grifters selling hideous bullshit like that to gullible trumpster morons.
Sure. But I can't take anymore of the TDS end zone dance.
The opinions which are still persecuted strike the majority as so monstrous and immoral that the general principle of toleration cannot be held to apply to them. But this is exactly the same view as that which made possible the tortures of the Inquisition. - Bertrand Russell
Warren

Post by Warren »

dbcooper wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 18:26
I'm going out of state for a couple of weeks.
The opinions which are still persecuted strike the majority as so monstrous and immoral that the general principle of toleration cannot be held to apply to them. But this is exactly the same view as that which made possible the tortures of the Inquisition. - Bertrand Russell
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Warren wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 21:35 I'm going out of state for a couple of weeks.
Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

dbcooper wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 21:41 Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal.
yoink
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Warren wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 21:33
Sure. But I can't take anymore of the TDS end zone dance.
Is it because Trump never managed to burn everything down like you want?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
nicole

Post by nicole »

Personally I’d just like to travel back to 2004 and stab myself so I don’t have to experience this, but I’m not quite as bitchy as Glenn.

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Mo

Post by Mo »

I like the response telling Glenn that his favorite cable host is the white nationalist version of Tucker Carlson.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Shem

Post by Shem »

I thought Tucker Carlson was the white nationalist version of Tucker Carlson.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
nicole

Post by nicole »

I’ve been a lot less crazy about WW for a while now but it was complete bullshit for him to have been fired over this (thread)

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

nicole wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 19:35 I’ve been a lot less crazy about WW for a while now but it was complete bullshit for him to have been fired over this (thread)

What was the tweet/context?
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Jesus fucking Christ. It was a very obvious joke.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
nicole

Post by nicole »

Highway

Post by Highway »

I don't want to bother with Gabe Hoffman's twitter timeline, but wonder how much of it is decrying "liberal cancel culture!"
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Highway wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 19:51 I don't want to bother with Gabe Hoffman's twitter timeline, but wonder how much of it is decrying "liberal cancel culture!"
Sorry to break this to you but there is very clearly no such thing as cancel culture.