2020 Status Check

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 30678
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by Warren »

thoreau wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 15:05 If Jack Nicholson weren't guarding that fence line in Cuba who knows how many North Koreans might be roaming our streets and raping our daughters!
Well. Obviously thoreau, you can't handle the truth.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
User avatar
Shem
Posts: 8774
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by Shem »

Warren wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 15:01
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 14:55
thoreau wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 14:04
Shem wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 13:54
JasonL wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 11:42
dead_elvis wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 10:23 2020 killed any hope I had that the country could come together in a crisis. That patriotism here could ever be redirected in a positive direction.
I expect we still can for well defined and visible external threats. If it takes any amount of internal bargaining we are screwed.
If it involves shooting foreigners, we're still top of the heap.
This. Because the Reds love it, so do a lot of Blues, and the ancient Blues running the party still think it's 1968 and don't want to be called hippies.
Especially non-white foreigners, not that any of them since WWII has actually been a serious threat to the U.S.
You don't think the Chi-Coms or North Korea poses a serious threat?
If North Korea can ever get Taepodong-2 working, they pose a threat to the west coast. Otherwise, they're only a regional threat.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 25648
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by JasonL »

My dankest current thoughts. The outrage by median income households about not getting $2k is a bunch of motherfuckers want a PS5 as a reward for existing in 2020.
User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 20796
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 15:01
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 14:55
thoreau wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 14:04
Shem wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 13:54
JasonL wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 11:42
dead_elvis wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 10:23 2020 killed any hope I had that the country could come together in a crisis. That patriotism here could ever be redirected in a positive direction.
I expect we still can for well defined and visible external threats. If it takes any amount of internal bargaining we are screwed.
If it involves shooting foreigners, we're still top of the heap.
This. Because the Reds love it, so do a lot of Blues, and the ancient Blues running the party still think it's 1968 and don't want to be called hippies.
Especially non-white foreigners, not that any of them since WWII has actually been a serious threat to the U.S.
You don't think the Chi-Coms or North Korea poses a serious threat?
I don't believe we're actively shooting any Chinese or North Koreans at the moment. North Korea certainly was a threat to South Korea and, yeah, there was some truth to the Domino Theory, but I think post-Korean War South and East Asian history largely proved that communism was unsustainable and that, except as a possible but suicidal military threat, the only somewhat serious threat China poses is economic.
User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 26535
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by Jennifer »

JasonL wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 11:42
dead_elvis wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 10:23 2020 killed any hope I had that the country could come together in a crisis. That patriotism here could ever be redirected in a positive direction.
I expect we still can for well defined and visible external threats.
Even regarding external threats, if dealing with the actual threat would be too difficult we lash out at the wrong scapegoat. Remember when a bunch of Saddam-hating terrorists with backing from the Saudi government attacked New York and DC, and we responded by leaving the Saudis alone and toppling Saddam? Any threat less well-defined than "I'm pretty sure 'twas the Japanese who bombed Pearl Harbor just now, based on multiple eyewitness accounts of Imperial Japanese insignia on the airplanes, and also the Japanese government just told us" will be either misdiagnosed, or ignored/overlooked entirely. (For examples of the latter, consider the years-long history of various nefarious hackers [presumably with foreign government backing] systematically hacking into pretty much every important, hackable database in America -- this month's federal government hackings, and others dating back at least six or seven years now, since I used to cover them at my old consumer-reporter job -- what, exactly, has the federal or any state governments, or various mega-corporations ranging from 'American health insurance companies to credit bureaus to international car manufacturers,' done in response? Put evermore classified/sensitive info onto hackable computer databases, and connect evermore manufactured items to the Internet of Things.)

That said: if the country faced any of the World War Two-style military problems which plagued us then, I've little doubt we could totally kick those problems' asses. (Especially considering that in World War Two, Russia and China were on our side.) But so far, I'm completely unimpressed with how my country and most of my compatriots deal with 21st-century-style threats.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7729
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by Jadagul »

Jennifer wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 17:39
Jadagul wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 17:05
Jennifer wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 16:41
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 14:03 Unless the Dems win both seats in Georgia -- and I'm currently predicting they'll win only one seat, if that -
Out of curiosity, what makes you say that? I figure they'll either win both seats or neither; are you expecting something like, "People will vote for Ossoff but not Warnock because they think the latter is 'too extreme'?"
Nah, Warnock is in a better position than Ossoff; if it splits it's more likely to be Warnock-Perdue than Ossoff-Loeffler.

(Warnock is consistently polling a bit better than Ossoff. Warnock performed better in the first round than Ossoff did under multiple plausible ways of evaluating that. Loeffler is a fake incumbent and doesn't have as much advantage as a real incumbent like Perdue.)
Fine, then reverse the question. (FWIW, I only chose Warnock rather than Ossoff for that example based on the thoroughly unscientific "Amount and quality of hilariously bad scare-tactic campaign ads I've seen on TV, here in one of the most populous voting districts in Georgia." Ossoff comes across as "generic booga-booga commiesocialist Democrat," whereas Warnock is made to look barely one step outside of "kill Whitey and all the blue-eyed devils, plus The Troops" territory, via some pretty egregious out-of-context quoting.)

Either way, I'm curious why DAR thinks there is going to be ANY sort of split, let alone a significant number/percentage of Georgia voters who will either divide their votes across party lines, choosing one Dem and one Rep, or cast only one senatorial vote out of the two allowed. I don't know who will win -- I'm hoping it's both Democrats, because the GOP needs a good hard smackdown -- but whichever party wins, I think they'll get both seats: both Reps or both Dems.
Can't speak for DAR, but it's a close race and Warnock has a 1-2 point advantage over Ossoff, so a split wouldn't be terribly surprising.

If all you know about two races is they'll probably be about a point apart, then they're overwhelmingly likely to go the same way. But if you also know that they're both tossups, a split becomes reasonably likely.
User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 9108
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by Pham Nuwen »

JasonL wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 15:17 My dankest current thoughts. The outrage by median income households about not getting $2k is a bunch of motherfuckers want a PS5 as a reward for existing in 2020.
Speaking ....
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 26535
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by Jennifer »

Jadagul wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 16:47
Jennifer wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 17:39
Jadagul wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 17:05
Jennifer wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 16:41
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 14:03 Unless the Dems win both seats in Georgia -- and I'm currently predicting they'll win only one seat, if that -
Out of curiosity, what makes you say that? I figure they'll either win both seats or neither; are you expecting something like, "People will vote for Ossoff but not Warnock because they think the latter is 'too extreme'?"
Nah, Warnock is in a better position than Ossoff; if it splits it's more likely to be Warnock-Perdue than Ossoff-Loeffler.

(Warnock is consistently polling a bit better than Ossoff. Warnock performed better in the first round than Ossoff did under multiple plausible ways of evaluating that. Loeffler is a fake incumbent and doesn't have as much advantage as a real incumbent like Perdue.)
Fine, then reverse the question. (FWIW, I only chose Warnock rather than Ossoff for that example based on the thoroughly unscientific "Amount and quality of hilariously bad scare-tactic campaign ads I've seen on TV, here in one of the most populous voting districts in Georgia." Ossoff comes across as "generic booga-booga commiesocialist Democrat," whereas Warnock is made to look barely one step outside of "kill Whitey and all the blue-eyed devils, plus The Troops" territory, via some pretty egregious out-of-context quoting.)

Either way, I'm curious why DAR thinks there is going to be ANY sort of split, let alone a significant number/percentage of Georgia voters who will either divide their votes across party lines, choosing one Dem and one Rep, or cast only one senatorial vote out of the two allowed. I don't know who will win -- I'm hoping it's both Democrats, because the GOP needs a good hard smackdown -- but whichever party wins, I think they'll get both seats: both Reps or both Dems.
Can't speak for DAR, but it's a close race and Warnock has a 1-2 point advantage over Ossoff, so a split wouldn't be terribly surprising.

If all you know about two races is they'll probably be about a point apart, then they're overwhelmingly likely to go the same way. But if you also know that they're both tossups, a split becomes reasonably likely.
Except that it's the same people, at the same time, voting for both on the same ballot. The way this vote works (I already early-voted, but I'm sure people who wait until voting day on Jan 5 will get the same ballot) is NOT "Voters in one half of the state choose between Ossoff and Perdue, while voters in the other half choose between Warnock and Loeffler" (or vice versa); I got the one ballot where I was asked to choose between Republican and Democrat for two out of four possible senators, plus somebody for a third state-level race nobody's paying attention to.

I personally voted for Warnock and Ossoff -- more precisely, I personally voted against the two Republicans, because the entire GOP needs a good hard smackdown right now, and Georgia's senators are slimy even by contemporary GOP standards, IMO. And my theory is that most people in Georgia will do either what I did or a mirror opposite: vote straight-party Democrat, or straight-party Republican, in both senatorial races.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7729
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by Jadagul »

Sure, most people will vote the same way in both races. But 1-2% won't.
User avatar
nicole
Posts: 10978
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by nicole »

Addendum by Jacob Siegel, one of my favorite people writing about 2020. I was going to quote but just wanted to quote it all: https://unherd.com/2020/12/why-americas ... n-winning/
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
User avatar
nicole
Posts: 10978
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by nicole »

Hugh Akston wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 10:51
nicole wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 08:48 I could have thought it was reasonable that people didn't know there was a huge outbreak across the country in February.
Not sure what country you're reporting from, but here in the United States there were 100 confirmed cases in seven states on March 2nd.
Yes, because people weren’t being tested. Are you suggesting there were in fact 100 cases of covid at that time?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 25648
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by JasonL »

nicole wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 07:57 Addendum by Jacob Siegel, one of my favorite people writing about 2020. I was going to quote but just wanted to quote it all: https://unherd.com/2020/12/why-americas ... n-winning/
Yup that's good. I feel like there's something missing I would want to say but I'll have to pin it down.
User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 25648
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by JasonL »

It's something about - I don't think this is actually an elites issue. There's a bottom upness to the idea that whatever your team says is the best thing at all times. Lots of people want it that way. They want to specify the outcome they desire and they want to use cudgels to get you there and what we've lost is any sense of anyone being above that demand from below.
User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 13646
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by Ellie »

JasonL wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 09:01 It's something about - I don't think this is actually an elites issue. There's a bottom upness to the idea that whatever your team says is the best thing at all times. Lots of people want it that way. They want to specify the outcome they desire and they want to use cudgels to get you there and what we've lost is any sense of anyone being above that demand from below.
My feeling lands about halfway between you and the article (which I also liked but felt was missing something). I do feel like we're all very signed on to the idea of teams and whatever your team says is the best and a win for the team counts as a win for you, even if it doesn't actually affect you. However, I do agree that a lot of the outcomes are created entirely by the elites who continue to fail upwards with no real mechanism to take them to task if they fail. I think most institutions and teams have learned how to give those on the bottom, those making the demands, just enough of what they want that they feel like it's a win for their team, or at least that they have to ride or die with this team because no other team will listen to their demands as much as this one. So the elites throw out just enough crumbs to maintain their position, while solidifying the structure where they can't be held accountable. What the article describes is pretty accurate but it doesn't work without the sports bar of life.

And if you have a demand and you DON'T get the elites of any team to sign on, you have no other levers to pull. I think that's why Black Lives Matter ultimately went nowhere. Both the Republicans (unsurprisingly) and the Democrats (a little less so) declined to take up that call in any way, and so the whole thing is deemed fruitless. You can't just get enough little people together to make a difference; there's no access to the levers at the top. The elites have built a moat around themselves.
"Ellie is the Warren of comedy." -Shem
User avatar
Shem
Posts: 8774
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by Shem »

nicole wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 07:57 Addendum by Jacob Siegel, one of my favorite people writing about 2020. I was going to quote but just wanted to quote it all: https://unherd.com/2020/12/why-americas ... n-winning/
Cuomo handled Covid-19 the same way Bush handled 9/11, and wound up with pretty much the same type of fandom. There's not much new to what he's describing. It only feels different because one of the major parties went a step further and just completely blew off the idea that anything was going on.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 25648
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by JasonL »

Ellie wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 09:34
JasonL wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 09:01 It's something about - I don't think this is actually an elites issue. There's a bottom upness to the idea that whatever your team says is the best thing at all times. Lots of people want it that way. They want to specify the outcome they desire and they want to use cudgels to get you there and what we've lost is any sense of anyone being above that demand from below.
My feeling lands about halfway between you and the article (which I also liked but felt was missing something). I do feel like we're all very signed on to the idea of teams and whatever your team says is the best and a win for the team counts as a win for you, even if it doesn't actually affect you. However, I do agree that a lot of the outcomes are created entirely by the elites who continue to fail upwards with no real mechanism to take them to task if they fail. I think most institutions and teams have learned how to give those on the bottom, those making the demands, just enough of what they want that they feel like it's a win for their team, or at least that they have to ride or die with this team because no other team will listen to their demands as much as this one. So the elites throw out just enough crumbs to maintain their position, while solidifying the structure where they can't be held accountable. What the article describes is pretty accurate but it doesn't work without the sports bar of life.

And if you have a demand and you DON'T get the elites of any team to sign on, you have no other levers to pull. I think that's why Black Lives Matter ultimately went nowhere. Both the Republicans (unsurprisingly) and the Democrats (a little less so) declined to take up that call in any way, and so the whole thing is deemed fruitless. You can't just get enough little people together to make a difference; there's no access to the levers at the top. The elites have built a moat around themselves.
Ahh. Yeah, I think, and you see this in various spats around here, that BLM failed because of the fundamental stupidity and incoherence of its constituents. Give the little people what, an end to capitalism? I see this not as elites mollifying the little guy but doing exactly what they think the little guy will accept that's not the fully stupid thing they are actually saying. Everyone is in agreement that the message as show of team matters more than outcomes except those who want a revolution but they want actually completely stupid things. There is no way to "give BLM what it wants".
User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 30980
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by thoreau »

Shem wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 10:14
nicole wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 07:57 Addendum by Jacob Siegel, one of my favorite people writing about 2020. I was going to quote but just wanted to quote it all: https://unherd.com/2020/12/why-americas ... n-winning/
Cuomo handled Covid-19 the same way Bush handled 9/11, and wound up with pretty much the same type of fandom. There's not much new to what he's describing. It only feels different because one of the major parties went a step further and just completely blew off the idea that anything was going on.
Yeah. To the extent that the elites decried in the article are more Blue than Red (which is not to say exclusively Blue) the Blues benefit from being graded on the most generous curve ever right now. Because the comparison is the Reds, who got so high on their own supply that they're currently dancing naked in the street while smeared in their own feces and shouting that hyper-competent Blue conspirators like (checks notes) Brian Kemp stole this election and John Roberts is in bed with juvenile sex slaves.

If there's one libertarian insight worth clinging to, it's that lack of meaningful competition produces nothing good.
"saying 'socialism' where normies can hear it is wrapping a bunch of barbed wire around a bat, handing the bat to the GOP, and standing with your head in the strike zone."
--Lunchstealer
User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 20018
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: Elev. 5280 ft

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by Hugh Akston »

nicole wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 07:58
Hugh Akston wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 10:51
nicole wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 08:48 I could have thought it was reasonable that people didn't know there was a huge outbreak across the country in February.
Not sure what country you're reporting from, but here in the United States there were 100 confirmed cases in seven states on March 2nd.
Yes, because people weren’t being tested. Are you suggesting there were in fact 100 cases of covid at that time?
I'm suggesting that it was not unreasonable at the time to underestimate the severity of the situation, especially considering the state of scientific knowledge about infection rates, symptoms, and transmission vectors.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
User avatar
Shem
Posts: 8774
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by Shem »

JasonL wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 10:50
Ellie wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 09:34
JasonL wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 09:01 It's something about - I don't think this is actually an elites issue. There's a bottom upness to the idea that whatever your team says is the best thing at all times. Lots of people want it that way. They want to specify the outcome they desire and they want to use cudgels to get you there and what we've lost is any sense of anyone being above that demand from below.
My feeling lands about halfway between you and the article (which I also liked but felt was missing something). I do feel like we're all very signed on to the idea of teams and whatever your team says is the best and a win for the team counts as a win for you, even if it doesn't actually affect you. However, I do agree that a lot of the outcomes are created entirely by the elites who continue to fail upwards with no real mechanism to take them to task if they fail. I think most institutions and teams have learned how to give those on the bottom, those making the demands, just enough of what they want that they feel like it's a win for their team, or at least that they have to ride or die with this team because no other team will listen to their demands as much as this one. So the elites throw out just enough crumbs to maintain their position, while solidifying the structure where they can't be held accountable. What the article describes is pretty accurate but it doesn't work without the sports bar of life.

And if you have a demand and you DON'T get the elites of any team to sign on, you have no other levers to pull. I think that's why Black Lives Matter ultimately went nowhere. Both the Republicans (unsurprisingly) and the Democrats (a little less so) declined to take up that call in any way, and so the whole thing is deemed fruitless. You can't just get enough little people together to make a difference; there's no access to the levers at the top. The elites have built a moat around themselves.
Ahh. Yeah, I think, and you see this in various spats around here, that BLM failed because of the fundamental stupidity and incoherence of its constituents. Give the little people what, an end to capitalism? I see this not as elites mollifying the little guy but doing exactly what they think the little guy will accept that's not the fully stupid thing they are actually saying. Everyone is in agreement that the message as show of team matters more than outcomes except those who want a revolution but they want actually completely stupid things. There is no way to "give BLM what it wants".
And I think one of the reasons we fundamentally disagree on what's going on is because you look left and see "technocrats holding off barbarians," and "barbarians." Like here, where you conflate BLM (whose central leadership push for goals that are concrete policy prescriptions that related to policing and have somewhere between little and nothing to do with capitalism) with other parts of the "woke left." The two groups do not have the same constituents, any more than libertarians and paleoconservatives have the same constituents. There are plenty of people on the left whose response to everything that happened was stuff like "end qualified immunity stop the drug war," but their arguments weren't centered in the media for a number of reasons, so the target became "frivolous, untestable bullshit," which is now seen as the default goal for people on the left.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 30678
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by Warren »

nicole has managed to drag me down to her circle of hell.
Last edited by Warren on 31 Dec 2020, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 25648
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by JasonL »

Shem wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 11:07
JasonL wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 10:50
Ellie wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 09:34
JasonL wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 09:01 It's something about - I don't think this is actually an elites issue. There's a bottom upness to the idea that whatever your team says is the best thing at all times. Lots of people want it that way. They want to specify the outcome they desire and they want to use cudgels to get you there and what we've lost is any sense of anyone being above that demand from below.
My feeling lands about halfway between you and the article (which I also liked but felt was missing something). I do feel like we're all very signed on to the idea of teams and whatever your team says is the best and a win for the team counts as a win for you, even if it doesn't actually affect you. However, I do agree that a lot of the outcomes are created entirely by the elites who continue to fail upwards with no real mechanism to take them to task if they fail. I think most institutions and teams have learned how to give those on the bottom, those making the demands, just enough of what they want that they feel like it's a win for their team, or at least that they have to ride or die with this team because no other team will listen to their demands as much as this one. So the elites throw out just enough crumbs to maintain their position, while solidifying the structure where they can't be held accountable. What the article describes is pretty accurate but it doesn't work without the sports bar of life.

And if you have a demand and you DON'T get the elites of any team to sign on, you have no other levers to pull. I think that's why Black Lives Matter ultimately went nowhere. Both the Republicans (unsurprisingly) and the Democrats (a little less so) declined to take up that call in any way, and so the whole thing is deemed fruitless. You can't just get enough little people together to make a difference; there's no access to the levers at the top. The elites have built a moat around themselves.
Ahh. Yeah, I think, and you see this in various spats around here, that BLM failed because of the fundamental stupidity and incoherence of its constituents. Give the little people what, an end to capitalism? I see this not as elites mollifying the little guy but doing exactly what they think the little guy will accept that's not the fully stupid thing they are actually saying. Everyone is in agreement that the message as show of team matters more than outcomes except those who want a revolution but they want actually completely stupid things. There is no way to "give BLM what it wants".
And I think one of the reasons we fundamentally disagree on what's going on is because you look left and see "technocrats holding off barbarians," and "barbarians." Like here, where you conflate BLM (whose central leadership push for goals that are concrete policy prescriptions that related to policing and have somewhere between little and nothing to do with capitalism) with other parts of the "woke left." The two groups do not have the same constituents, any more than libertarians and paleoconservatives have the same constituents. There are plenty of people on the left whose response to everything that happened was stuff like "end qualified immunity stop the drug war," but their arguments weren't centered in the media for a number of reasons, so the target became "frivolous, untestable bullshit," which is now seen as the default goal for people on the left.
We probably don't need to rehash this, but the messaging dominance plus the origins being marxist plus Campaign Zero literally being kicked out of BLM proper ... you have to keep squinting to find any message other than the stupid one. To such a degree it isnt' even entirely clear there was one. I just had a 12 round throw down with a street protesting BLM activist in which I played Shem. Like literally I was just barely reframing your position and he laughed told me if I didn't know BLM was anticapitalist from the ground up I didn't know anything what a joke and so on. Tells me what org meetings are like. I get that he himself doesn't know "what it really is" but to deny his is the face of it? Pfft.
User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 1859
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by dead_elvis »

JasonL wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 12:15 you have to keep squinting to find any message other than the stupid one.
This might be the case since this year but for the years 2015-2019 it was easily google-able, no squinting required. I pointed this out multiple times in Reason comments and people always acted surprised. People didn't know because they didn't want to know. This was smack in libertarianism's wheel house and they could have spent 4 years amplifying BLM-at-that-time's message, but for, ahem, some reason, they wouldn't spend the 15 seconds required to google, preferring instead to push the false line that BLM were loonie terrorists with no particular policy goals.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 1859
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by dead_elvis »

Shem wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 10:14
nicole wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 07:57 Addendum by Jacob Siegel, one of my favorite people writing about 2020. I was going to quote but just wanted to quote it all: https://unherd.com/2020/12/why-americas ... n-winning/
Cuomo handled Covid-19 the same way Bush handled 9/11, and wound up with pretty much the same type of fandom.
Yes, I feel like what he was describing is the war-time effect, only because Trump and his circle completely abdicated being involved it fell to people like Cuomo and Fauci. I also think he's vastly over-estimating the extent of their rehabilitation. Yeah in a more honorable world they would have committed seppuku but that's never been our culture, ever. It's always been Ride or Die.

And who says there is no accountability? Trump got voted out. Whether that's a first step or the end of it we'll see.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
User avatar
Shem
Posts: 8774
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by Shem »

dead_elvis wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 13:06 And who says there is no accountability? Trump got voted out. Whether that's a first step or the end of it we'll see.
And if there's not further accountability for him, at least part of it is going to be because people did some moral calculus and decided "creating a country where we go after former presidents" is too risky to justify holding one guy to account. And not just partisan hacks, either; people right here on this board. And I'm not arguing that they're right or wrong (they make some valid points) but laying the lack of accountability at the feet of partisans is at least a bit self-serving, since it's not like there's a whole lot of people even here looking for justice to be done though the heavens fall. All of us let a lot of shit slide, even if it means bending or even ignoring our moral sensibilities.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 26535
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: 2020 Status Check

Post by Jennifer »

Shem wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 15:15
dead_elvis wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 13:06 And who says there is no accountability? Trump got voted out. Whether that's a first step or the end of it we'll see.
And if there's not further accountability for him, at least part of it is going to be because people did some moral calculus and decided "creating a country where we go after former presidents" is too risky to justify holding one guy to account. And not just partisan hacks, either; people right here on this board. And I'm not arguing that they're right or wrong (they make some valid points) but laying the lack of accountability at the feet of partisans is at least a bit self-serving, since it's not like there's a whole lot of people even here looking for justice to be done though the heavens fall. All of us let a lot of shit slide, even if it means bending or even ignoring our moral sensibilities.
Politicians aren't the only people for whom "accountability" has been watered down to be as meaningless as "Con artist only gets to serve one term as POTUS." There's also things like "The CEO who ran his company into the ground has to settle for a golden parachute in the low eight figures rather than high eight" or "The corrupt cop lost his job -- eventually -- but immediately landed a new one on a different police force" or "The bank that pushed phony accounts which ruined many account-holders' lives is fined a miniscule fraction of its net profit for the year" -- and, again, there's people arguing that this-all is how things have to be.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Post Reply