No Sandwich is Safe: The Joe Biden Presidency

Hugh Akston

Re: No Sandwich is Safe: The Joe Biden Presidency

Post by Hugh Akston »

Gross
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Fan though I am of providing relief and safety nets via direct cash in pockets, I don't really see how that really solves the problem; maybe edge cases, but I don't think you can lift a child out of poverty for $3,600/year. It helps, sure, but how much quality of life does $300/month buy?

Though obviously, selfishly, as someone with four children, I'm delighted
Like baptists at the glory hole

"oh dear" they mutter, unzipping their pants

-dhex
Shem

Post by Shem »

Ellie wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 17:46 Fan though I am of providing relief and safety nets via direct cash in pockets, I don't really see how that really solves the problem; maybe edge cases, but I don't think you can lift a child out of poverty for $3,600/year. It helps, sure, but how much quality of life does $300/month buy?

Though obviously, selfishly, as someone with four children, I'm delighted
You might be surprised. Consider how your budgeting would change if suddenly, your grocery bill were halved, or your car payment dropped from $400 to $100. It's like, the water is still there, but you go from it being up to your chest to having it be waist high. Low enough that you can sit down sometimes. Makes for a big relief.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

That's assuming of course that you have the foresight to distribute the gains from a once-a-year tax deduction over 12 months.
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Shem

Post by Shem »

Hugh Akston wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 18:36 That's assuming of course that you have the foresight to distribute the gains from a once-a-year tax deduction over 12 months.
Or you pay down debts that would otherwise have needed to have been serviced over the course of the year. Or fulfill needs like car repair that would otherwise have required debt-based financing. Not saying it's the best way to improve the lives of the poor and working class, or even a good idea, but for a certain level of income (that's higher than one might expect), it definitely is a life-changing amount of money.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Mo

Post by Mo »

Hugh Akston wrote:That's assuming of course that you have the foresight to distribute the gains from a once-a-year tax deduction over 12 months.
Withholding schedules can be updated to do basically do the same thing
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Shem wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 18:19 It's like, the water is still there, but you go from it being up to your chest to having it be waist high. Low enough that you can sit down sometimes. Makes for a big relief.
Oh, for sure.

I misread the tweet and thought I saw something about "lifting children out of poverty" and was being unfairly snarky based on that. $300/month does make a big difference when you're poor but I think at the end of the day, you're less-stressed poor, less dire-going-without poor, but still poor. Not lifted out. Which was not what the tweet said anyway!

-dhex
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Speaking of big differences, I just realized four kids at $300/month/kid literally doubles my income, so, uh, sorry if I'm not TOO mad about the idea

-dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Shem wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 18:43
Hugh Akston wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 18:36 That's assuming of course that you have the foresight to distribute the gains from a once-a-year tax deduction over 12 months.
Or you pay down debts that would otherwise have needed to have been serviced over the course of the year. Or fulfill needs like car repair that would otherwise have required debt-based financing. Not saying it's the best way to improve the lives of the poor and working class, or even a good idea, but for a certain level of income (that's higher than one might expect), it definitely is a life-changing amount of money.
I think someone linked this before
https://www.cracked.com/blog/the-5-stup ... g-up-poor/
#4 Extra Money Has to Be Spent Right Goddamn Now!

Every poor person I knew got a big check one time a year in the form of their tax return. They made just enough money to file taxes, and made little enough to claim "earned income credit," which is a tax credit that can dramatically boost your return. For my ex-wife and I, it meant getting around $5,000 at the end of January. And just like many poor people, we'd be broke within days of cashing that check, our living room sporting a new TV. Or we'd replace our old computers and all of our furniture. There's a reason many poor people blow through that money instead of saving it for future bills.

When you live in poverty, you're used to your bank account revolving very tightly around a balance of zero. Your work money comes in and goes right back out to bills, leaving you breaking even each month (if you're lucky). That's the life you've gotten used to. It's normal for you.

Put down the calculator, asshole, it equals zero. It always equals zero.

When a windfall check is dropped in your lap, you don't know how to handle it. Instead of thinking, "This will cover our rent and bills for half a year," you immediately jump to all the things you've been meaning to get, but couldn't afford on your regular income. If you don't buy it right now, you know that the money will slowly bleed away to everyday life over the course of the next few months, leaving you with nothing to show for it. Don't misunderstand me here, it's never a "greed" thing. It's a panic thing. "We have to spend this before it disappears."
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
nicole

Post by nicole »

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Does it still count as passing the Bechdel test if you're implicitly talking about men in contrast to women?
nicole

Post by nicole »

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

What an idiot. The Field of Cormallen was November. January 6 was The Scouring of the Shire. Today is The Grey Havens.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

The Twitter ban the next day was the scouring of the shire.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Kolohe wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 18:02 The Twitter ban the next day was the scouring of the shire.
That's fair. But the rioters were definitely working for Sharkey, not Sauron.
--JD
nicole

Post by nicole »

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

'Give me a break' would be a good title for the Biden thread.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Hugh Akston wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 15:38 'Give me a break' would be a good title for the Biden thread.
https://youtu.be/0J5EpSMdSys
--JD
nicole

Post by nicole »

Hugh Akston wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 15:38 'Give me a break' would be a good title for the Biden thread.
indeed

nicole

Post by nicole »

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Man the people who were concerned about the erosion of presidential norms are sure to be hopping mad about this one.
The House and Senate on Thursday overwhelmingly approved a special waiver to allow Lloyd J. Austin III, a retired four-star Army general, to serve as secretary of defense, eliminating a hurdle to confirmation for a crucial member of President Biden’s national security team who is poised to become the first Black American to lead the Pentagon.
But over the past two weeks, officials from Mr. Biden’s transition team, aided by top Democrats in Congress, put intense pressure on lawmakers to clear the way for General Austin, and many began to scrap their reservations. Ms. Pelosi leaned on her members on Thursday during a private conference call to grant General Austin the waiver, according to multiple Democrats familiar with the remarks.
“Can you give the president of the United States the benefit of the doubt?” Ms. Pelosi asked, according to the Democrats, who described the private comments on the condition of anonymity.
An intense lobbying campaign in support of General Austin’s nomination played out in the Senate. Vice President Kamala Harris reached out to her former colleagues, and Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, the majority leader, buttonholed lawmakers on the Senate floor.
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

I've seem them state that Trump 'set a precedent' with Mattis, so of course Austin should be waivered.
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Everyone I follow was up in arms over the Austin nomination for exactly this reason.

A lot of them decided not to pick a fight over it after the capitol riot, though, basically on the grounds that we need to have someone in the role.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Jasper wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 15:33 I've seem them state that Trump 'set a precedent' with Mattis, so of course Austin should be waivered.
So Donald Trump is now America's moral yard stick.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

As much as I acknowledge the necessity of a National Guard response to the Jan. 6 riot, it's worrying that everyone looks to the military as the institution that can bring reassurance. Bipartisan unity for giving a general a waiver is part of that bigger trend. And I say that while harboring the suspicion that the National Guard is probably better-disciplined than civilian cops when dealing with protesters, and hence (in some sense) a lesser evil. So we accept more and more erosion of barriers because they are a respected institution.

I mean, in these divisive times, do you really want Our Brave Men And Women In Uniform to stay on the other side of the Rubico...I mean, the Potomac?
--JD