No Sandwich is Safe: The Joe Biden Presidency

thoreau

Re: No Sandwich is Safe: The Joe Biden Presidency

Post by thoreau »

I know. Still, I remember when Joe From Lol explained to me that Obama's operation of Gitmo was totally different from W's. And on some level he was right, and on another level I was still like "Yeah, this is all we get? Shit."
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

thoreau wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 13:52 I know. Still, I remember when Joe From Lol explained to me that Obama's operation of Gitmo was totally different from W's. And on some level he was right, and on another level I was still like "Yeah, this is all we get? Shit."
On the other hand, the only big differences there were actually trying some people and not torturing them. (And the bullshit about "closing Gitmo" by simply relocating them, as if Cubs was the problem.)

At least supposedly, these unaccompanied kids aren't going to be held indefinitely in shitty conditions, but temporarily in decent conditions while sponsors are vetted. And they supposedly aren't going to be punitively separated from their parents in the first place

This merits distrustful watching, but it looks like an improvement to me.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Eric the .5b wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 14:10 This merits distrustful watching, but it looks like an improvement to me.
That's fair.
--JD
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

thoreau wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 14:41
Eric the .5b wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 14:10 This merits distrustful watching, but it looks like an improvement to me.
That's fair.
I suppose the First Circle of Hell is preferable to the Ninth Circle.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Wasn't Trump the one who was going to start a war with Iran?

U.S. bombs facilities in Syria used by Iran-backed militia
The United States launched airstrikes in Syria on Thursday, targeting facilities used by Iranian-backed militia groups. The Pentagon said the strikes were in retaliation for a rocket attack in Iraq earlier this month that killed one civilian contractor and wounded a U.S. service member and other coalition troops.

The airstrike was the first known military action undertaken by the Biden administration, which in its first weeks has emphasized its intent to put more focus on the challenges posed by China, even as Mideast threats persist.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
nicole

Post by nicole »

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
dhex

Post by dhex »

Christ why would you say that out loud
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
nicole

Post by nicole »

dhex wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 08:55 Christ why would you say that out loud
is that really a question lol

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
dhex

Post by dhex »

Even if you're in the bag for these kinds of actions some degree of solemnity would seem reasonable. Not grunting ungh sports bar and giving a final shake before zipping up.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Warren

Post by Warren »

dhex wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 11:16 Even if you're in the bag for these kinds of actions some degree of solemnity would seem reasonable. Not grunting ungh sports bar and giving a final shake before zipping up.
Do my eyes deceive me? Or did you just type the word "reasonable" in that sentence?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

FB_IMG_1614358733058.jpg
FB_IMG_1614358733058.jpg (68.47 KiB) Viewed 408 times
--JD
dhex

Post by dhex »

Now that's solemnity.
nicole

Post by nicole »

Factcheck: false

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

nicole wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 12:31 Factcheck: false

<snip>
It's always been a package deal, ya dipshits.
Mo

Post by Mo »

IMG_6403.jpg
IMG_6403.jpg (455.81 KiB) Viewed 322 times
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

--JD
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

If I thought for a second that Democrat voters actually wanted an end to the drug war, I would almost feel bad for them getting punked by Biden.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Hugh Akston wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 13:18 If I thought for a second that Democrat voters actually wanted an end to the drug war, I would almost feel bad for them getting punked by Biden.
I think many of them wanted to think that a bit of fun with plants back in the day wouldn't get in the way of comfy jobs.
--JD
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

thoreau wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 13:23
Hugh Akston wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 13:18 If I thought for a second that Democrat voters actually wanted an end to the drug war, I would almost feel bad for them getting punked by Biden.
I think many of them wanted to think that a bit of fun with plants back in the day wouldn't get in the way of comfy jobs.
Those idiots I don't feel bad for, because they voted for an institution that's been living la vida drug war since before they were born.
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Hugh Akston wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 13:35living la vida drug war
That's an awesome coinage!
--JD
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Just came across this old post today-
Hugh Akston wrote: 06 Jan 2014, 20:54 Sublime is the musical equivalent of whatever dumbass thing stupid people prop up as a cultural touchstone that betrays their general ignorance and lack of refinement. It's not just that their music is awful (though it is), but that the brand has endured as a tribal signifier long past the point where the band has literallyjoebiden died. Applebees is bad, but nobody is wearing an Applebees teeshirt outside of Applebees except the guy who is walking to his job at Applebees wondering to himself how he ended up this way and whether a whole bottle of sleeping pills would really do it. But you guys people actually buy and wear Sublime teeshirts in public. In 2014. If you challenge them on it, some of those people will go to the mat to defend Sublime as musicians and as exemplars of a lifestyle where you make shitty pop music and then die of a smack overdose.

I'm not sure if there is a non-Sublime equivalent of Sublime. Maybe that Calvin decal who pees on things.
Sublime has stayed shitty, but I would love to know the odds you would have put on Biden becoming president in 2020.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

thoreau wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 13:23
This. And, as I've said, the marijuana legalization process matches up awfully well to "where white Blues started to fear police were coming for their stashes." Biden's definitely behind the curve of Blue voters.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

dead_elvis wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 17:35 Just came across this old post today-
Hugh Akston wrote: 06 Jan 2014, 20:54 Sublime is the musical equivalent of whatever dumbass thing stupid people prop up as a cultural touchstone that betrays their general ignorance and lack of refinement. It's not just that their music is awful (though it is), but that the brand has endured as a tribal signifier long past the point where the band has literallyjoebiden died. Applebees is bad, but nobody is wearing an Applebees teeshirt outside of Applebees except the guy who is walking to his job at Applebees wondering to himself how he ended up this way and whether a whole bottle of sleeping pills would really do it. But you guys people actually buy and wear Sublime teeshirts in public. In 2014. If you challenge them on it, some of those people will go to the mat to defend Sublime as musicians and as exemplars of a lifestyle where you make shitty pop music and then die of a smack overdose.

I'm not sure if there is a non-Sublime equivalent of Sublime. Maybe that Calvin decal who pees on things.
Sublime has stayed shitty, but I would love to know the odds you would have put on Biden becoming president in 2020.
That's a good question. Winter Solider-era Hugh probably wouldn't have bet, but might have been willing to speculate on such matters. But after Dolan fucking Trump ran for and won the presidency I realized that predicting the future is a sucker's game for those of us stuck with a linear experience of the fourth dimension.

Edit: I will say that my only regret in an otherwise unimpeachable life is not starting a Biden thread when the time was ripe.
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Hugh Akston wrote: 18 Feb 2015, 15:37
tr0g wrote:This is where I chime in and remind everyone that I fully support a Biden presidency for the lulz alone. If I can't get a government that is any way decent on any important issue, I'll take one that provides entertainment as we careen towards the void.
My ideal scenario for 2016 is that Team Red's "anybody but Rand" strategy ends up nominating Ted Cruz or Huckabee or Buttfroth, someone who will energize the Team Blue morons who believe that the President has unilateral authority to turn all uteruses to be national parks into rushing out and voting for a frozen burrito as long as it is on the other team. After Hilldog and Elizabeth Warren scratch each others eyes out at the convention, that burrito will be Uncle Joe. It will truly be the lulztopia that we all deserve.
Hugh, look what you did.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Rachel wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 22:15
Hugh Akston wrote: 18 Feb 2015, 15:37
tr0g wrote:This is where I chime in and remind everyone that I fully support a Biden presidency for the lulz alone. If I can't get a government that is any way decent on any important issue, I'll take one that provides entertainment as we careen towards the void.
My ideal scenario for 2016 is that Team Red's "anybody but Rand" strategy ends up nominating Ted Cruz or Huckabee or Buttfroth, someone who will energize the Team Blue morons who believe that the President has unilateral authority to turn all uteruses to be national parks into rushing out and voting for a frozen burrito as long as it is on the other team. After Hilldog and Elizabeth Warren scratch each others eyes out at the convention, that burrito will be Uncle Joe. It will truly be the lulztopia that we all deserve.
Hugh, look what you did.
Okay two regrets