No Sandwich is Safe: The Joe Biden Presidency

Hugh Akston

Re: No Sandwich is Safe: The Joe Biden Presidency

Post by Hugh Akston »

I have supreme confidence that even without the filibuster, Congress will find a way to worm out of doing their job.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Jadagul wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 21:54 If you think it's bad that the government can do things/make decisions, the filibuster is nice as another way of the government failing to do things or make decisions.

If you think it's important for the government to be able to act, then the filibuster is a giant middle finger with no real principled justification.
Prior to Moscow Mitch's extreme abuse (and the lesser abuse by Shumer in aught-7/8) and the rise of hard-core primary challenges to anyone engaging in across-the-aisle cooperation, it was a way to stop the worst stuff that a majority might do, and force them to compromise. Compromise has completely collapsed, so now instead of being a tool to force compromise, the filibuster is a tool to bring the gears to a complete halt.

I hate to see it go, because it did once serve a purpose, but ... this is why we can't have nice things.

I almost want to bring earmarks back just to give some incentive to bargain and put together something to keep the most rabid GOP primary voters (and to a lesser extent the DemSocs, but they still seem to be mostly marginalized in Team Blue) at bay.

'90s era gridlock was a better thing than its '10s/'20s counterpart seems to be.

Honestly, make the fuckers do the grandstanding on the floor thing, or otherwise impose some cost to filibustering without getting rid of it entirely, but if it keeps going as a get-out-of-cooperation-free card, it's gonna be smothered.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

lunchstealer wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 12:30'90s era gridlock was a better thing than its '10s/'20s counterpart seems to be.
This is true of many things.
Honestly, make the fuckers do the grandstanding on the floor thing, or otherwise impose some cost to filibustering without getting rid of it entirely, but if it keeps going as a get-out-of-cooperation-free card, it's gonna be smothered.
I could go with that.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 12:30 ...the filibuster is a tool to bring the gears to a complete halt.
Best of all possible worlds.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
nicole

Post by nicole »

Uhhh...what does "direct descendant" mean to other people?

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
JD

Post by JD »

nicole wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 14:45 Uhhh...what does "direct descendant" mean to other people?
I was today years old when I learned that all of our previous presidents were of 100% Native American ancestry.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

TBF she is the first VP who is all of those things.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Hugh Akston wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 15:57 TBF she is the first VP who is all of those things.
If only there were some kind of rule of punctuation usage that could have made that clearer.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
lshap

Post by lshap »

If only there were some kind of rule of punctuation usage that could have made that clearer.
Ha! Right?
-linguist
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

You know, I was just ranting about the Oxford comma on Tumblr

(which I assume is what you're referring to)

But there is no way that introducing a comma there would change the way anyone parses that sentence.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

It says she is the "direct descendantS" so either she has Dissociative Identity Disorder or else she's three very short cops in a trench coat
Like baptists at the glory hole

"oh dear" they mutter, unzipping their pants

-dhex
Mo

Post by Mo »

lunchstealer wrote:
Jadagul wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 21:54 If you think it's bad that the government can do things/make decisions, the filibuster is nice as another way of the government failing to do things or make decisions.

If you think it's important for the government to be able to act, then the filibuster is a giant middle finger with no real principled justification.
Prior to Moscow Mitch's extreme abuse (and the lesser abuse by Shumer in aught-7/8) and the rise of hard-core primary challenges to anyone engaging in across-the-aisle cooperation, it was a way to stop the worst stuff that a majority might do, and force them to compromise. Compromise has completely collapsed, so now instead of being a tool to force compromise, the filibuster is a tool to bring the gears to a complete halt.

I hate to see it go, because it did once serve a purpose, but ... this is why we can't have nice things.

I almost want to bring earmarks back just to give some incentive to bargain and put together something to keep the most rabid GOP primary voters (and to a lesser extent the DemSocs, but they still seem to be mostly marginalized in Team Blue) at bay.

'90s era gridlock was a better thing than its '10s/'20s counterpart seems to be.

I find quite a bit to like from here. I think part of my view is colored by my experience from the UK, where parties would run on an agenda and then pass it. Sometimes you get shit policies, but the voters get what they ask for good and hard (read: Brexit).

I think my main issue with the filibuster is that it went from a barrier to the worst excesses of a narrow majority to a barrier to even modest legislation. I wonder if there are any charts showing how many bills passed with less than a filibuster proof majority by Congress.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Hugh Akston wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 15:57 TBF she is the first VP who is all of those things.
She still needed a white man to break the glass ceiling for her though.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Jasper wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 09:02
She still needed a white man to break the glass ceiling for her though.
Bam!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
JD

Post by JD »

"Kamala Harris is the first vice president who is Black, South Asian, female and the direct descendants of immigrants, and an oxygen-breathing mammal."
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

JD wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 09:49
"Kamala Harris is the first vice president who is Black, South Asian, female and the direct descendants of immigrants, and an oxygen-breathing mammal."
She's also a eukaryote, but I don't discriminate against eukaryotes. Some of my best friends are eukaryotes.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Aresen wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 10:56
JD wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 09:49
She's also a eukaryote, but I don't discriminate against eukaryotes. Some of my best friends are eukaryotes.
You know who else was a eukaryote.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
JD

Post by JD »

US strategic bombers fly over Persian Gulf, first show of force under Biden

I see it's back to business as usual for the US...
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

JD wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 17:44 US strategic bombers fly over Persian Gulf, first show of force under Biden

NATURE IS HEALING!!!!

(Until we scar the landscape with some bombs.)
--JD
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

JD wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 17:44 US strategic bombers fly over Persian Gulf, first show of force under Biden

First show of force by Biden, sixth time this has happened since, um...November.

So this is is something we've been doing every few weeks for almost the last three months.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Mo

Post by Mo »

We should be glad it’s just some dick waving instead of bombs.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
nicole

Post by nicole »

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Hey Andrew, time to dust off the resume?

Max Kennerly
@MaxKennerly
Quote Tweet
Brian Fallon
@brianefallon
· 7h
NBC News: President Biden and Senate Democrats are vetting civil rights lawyers and public defenders to nominate as judges, embarking on a mission to shape the courts after Republicans overhauled them in the last four years
Good. I don't care about fancy law schools and prestigious clerkships. I want to know the nominee has had to explain to another human being why some piece of paper with a judge's signature means their situation is hopeless. Far too many judges never had to do that, and it shows.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Christ. A new detention facility for immigrant kids.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html
--JD
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

thoreau wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 13:26 Christ. A new detention facility for immigrant kids.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html
By a different agency with a better record for treatment of these kids. Mind, at this point, I almost think the CIA would take better care of these kids than ICE.

Not sure what else we could expect. It was never a plausible goal for these kids not to be in federal custody; they were in previous administrations. The goal was to stop separating families and keeping children in shitty conditions. Nobody's going to engage in the immigration reform necessary to avoid "having" to detain people for crossing a damn border.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.