Random covid-19 observations

Hugh Akston

Re: Random covid-19 observations

Post by Hugh Akston »

Woman denied Covid vaccine because she's breastfeeding
An official told her, she said, the county decided pregnant and breastfeeding women should not get a vaccine. In a statement, Kane County Health Department spokeswoman Susan Stack confirmed they do not provide the vaccine to pregnant or lactating women, citing the lack of data on breastfeeding or pregnancy for the Moderna vaccine, which the department is providing.

Because pregnant and lactating women were not included in initial vaccine trials, data is limited on how it might impact them. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends they be offered the vaccine; maternal health groups such as the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) are urging data collection and conversations between patient and provider — and that the vaccine should not be withheld from pregnant women who are eligible for it.

On Thursday, ACOG released a statement citing reports of pregnant patients being denied vaccines and called them “concerning” and “unethical.”
Pregnant individuals who otherwise meet the criteria for COVID-19 vaccines should not be denied the opportunity to be vaccinated,” the group said in a statement. “It not only violates their bodily autonomy, it also puts them at risk of severe outcomes and death related to COVID-19 illness. Excluding this critical population at increased risk of severe illness and death related to COVID-19 is unethical.”
Guys it's...okay to just say pregnant women.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Wife has both her vaccines and she breastfeeds. Strange reason to deny.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Hugh Akston wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 12:00 Guys it's...okay to just say pregnant women.
Hate speech isn't protected speech, yo.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Hugh Akston wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 12:00 Guys it's...okay to just say pregnant women.
Fucking transphobes are everywhere you look these days.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Why does Hugh wish to deny the existence of pregnant men? For shame, for shame.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Well, at the risk of opening another discussion of the horrors of trans women competing in women's sports, I suppose one could argue that gender fluid or androgynous or whatever people with female reproductive equipment intact could both be pregnant and yet desire not to be called women. It's not something I think is worth arguing about, least of all in a more or less libertarian group discussion; I'm just saying there are plausible not entirely SJW-PC crazy reasons why one might say "pregnant person" or "pregnant individual" or, hell, "pregnant attack helicopter," for that matter. ETA: Because who cares?
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Because if we don't make the ritual expressions of "lol, someone wants to be inclusive" in the face of literally every example of this we run across, South Park doesn't get renewed or something.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Warren

Post by Warren »

thoreau wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 12:42
Nuh Uh. Is to. SCOTUS sez.
The opinions which are still persecuted strike the majority as so monstrous and immoral that the general principle of toleration cannot be held to apply to them. But this is exactly the same view as that which made possible the tortures of the Inquisition. - Bertrand Russell
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Warren wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 20:01
SCOTUS needs to Do The Work. If they would educate themselves on microaggressions they would know that hate speech is LITERAL VIOLENCE. Where does the First Amendment protect literal violence?
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

thoreau wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 20:44
Warren wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 20:01
SCOTUS needs to Do The Work. If they would educate themselves on microaggressions they would know that hate speech is LITERAL VIOLENCE. Where does the First Amendment protect literal violence?
Twitter?
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL
Mo

Post by Mo »

Why are states loosening restrictions right before the Super Bowl? Even if you think loosening restrictions is the right thing, wait until after the super spreader event. Like here, before CNY, they adjusted the 8 houseguests at a time rule to 8 houseguests per day, to prevent the possibility of mass spreading (which is unlikely anyway).
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

I know everyone is desperate for good news but I hate how the recent decline has been pimped. FFS, it's only been like a week, and totals were still three times what they were in the fall. As if right on cue, our county's cases shot back up. C'mon guys, far from over yet.

Looks like getting my postponing of jury duty from October (when there were generally ~250-350 cases per day locally) to March, which made me soooo relieved at the time, isn't looking so smart now. Current numbers are still in the 1200-1500 a day range, plus new more contagious variants, yay!
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
JD

Post by JD »

Any time somebody starts talking about cancelling rent and like landlords are all just rolling in cash all the time, you can point them at this article. The problems aren't entirely COVID-related, either.
Redhead operates a family real estate firm with her sister that owns four, four-story walk-ups in East Flatbush with a total of about 50 units, all rent stabilized. She traces her problems back to the 2019 changes in the rent regulation rules that limited the increase in rents after an owner renovated an apartment.

Since all her buildings were built before 1940 and many of the tenants have lived there for 20 years or more, it would cost $30,000 to renovate a unit when a resident moves, she says. The new law allows her to raise a typical $850 rent by $89, making renovation too costly.

The pandemic has increased the financial strain she is under because the number of vacancies has doubled to about eight. About 70% percent of her tenants continue to pay rent, while 15% are paying partial rent and 15% are paying nothing.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

The rent/eviction moratorium wouldn't bother me so much if it were also accompanied by (for example) a "tax on rental properties and income" -- the landlord can't kick you out during this emergency, but neither does the landlord owe property or income tax on anything related to your rental. But of course nothing like that's going on.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
JD

Post by JD »

Jennifer wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 13:40 The rent/eviction moratorium wouldn't bother me so much if it were also accompanied by (for example) a "tax on rental properties and income" -- the landlord can't kick you out during this emergency, but neither does the landlord owe property or income tax on anything related to your rental. But of course nothing like that's going on.
Yeah, there was some mention of that in the article, along the lines of "the landlord and the tenant should be friends, because mortgages are just like rent", but it does raise the question of where do you stop? If the boiler goes out, the repairman still wants to be paid; the city still needs to pay its employees, etc.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Random covid-19 observation, "petty annoyances" edition: fucking "maskne". Wasn't a problem when I only wore a cloth reusable mask, even in hot weather when my face sweat beneath it, but those KN95s are another matter, even though I've never had to wear one for more than 45 to an hour at a time.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Huzzah! My VA clinic has got to Pfizer vaccine. I get my first shot tomorrow.
The opinions which are still persecuted strike the majority as so monstrous and immoral that the general principle of toleration cannot be held to apply to them. But this is exactly the same view as that which made possible the tortures of the Inquisition. - Bertrand Russell
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Fuck yeah!!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Congratulations, Warren!

[wistful sigh] I can't even get an estimate for which month I might get the shot. But it could be worse; BBC World News just did a segment about the plight of poorer countries, many of whom have not yet received even ONE dose of the vaccine.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Yay Warren!

Minnesota now has a "vaccine connector" where you can put in your information and it will let you know when you're eligible and contact you for short-notice opportunities in your area. Apparently Type 2 diabetes makes the cut for special high-risk conditions but not Type 1. Harrumph. I'm also 2 pounds shy of hitting the "morbidly obese" category instead of merely "obese." Can I check the box for the former and just promise to fatten myself up? :lol:

Edited to add: "smoking or vaping" is also a box I could check. Is the universe telling me to start vaping? ;) Or maybe it's telling me I SHOULD have caved and bought cigarettes while we were down in Tennessee and the state taxes were so low I could literally get two packs there for the price of one pack here in Minnesota. It was hard to walk away, I tell you :cry:
Like baptists at the glory hole

"oh dear" they mutter, unzipping their pants

-dhex
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

My parents both got their second vaccine on Friday, which is good news.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL
Warren

Post by Warren »

I hardly even felt it when she injected it into me. But a few hours later it started feeling like a big bruise. And it still does. :x
Hope it feels better tomorrow. No fever, nausea, heart palpitations, etc. So yea for that.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Even after covid ends, I hope wearing masks remains acceptable (even when not required).

Since last March, not ONE man has come up to me in public and ordered me to "smile."
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

For everyone and their loved ones who have gotten jabs:
16091a738bcba67952ba07c89001badd.gif
16091a738bcba67952ba07c89001badd.gif (571.84 KiB) Viewed 116 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Warren

Post by Warren »

For the unjabbed