Random covid-19 observations

dhex

Re: Random covid-19 observations

Post by dhex »

Highway wrote: 01 May 2021, 10:20 It's not like they're even hard to fake. I mean, mine is a paper card with plain text stickers and a person's writing on it. Whoop-de-do.
I could recreate it in 20 minutes no sweat.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

You'd think I would be happy about being right on the vaccine cards and vaccine scheduling in general. You would be wrong.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

A common criticism of Ayn Rand is how unrealistic her characters are, so it seems funny to me when people are now attacking Pfizer, Moderna and J&J for making profits on the vaccines the public was begging those companies to produce just a few months ago. Biden, AOC, Warren and the rest of the blues are behaving exactly like Rand villains.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Shem

Post by Shem »

Aresen wrote: 06 May 2021, 22:29 A common criticism of Ayn Rand is how unrealistic her characters are, so it seems funny to me when people are now attacking Pfizer, Moderna and J&J for making profits on the vaccines the public was begging those companies to produce just a few months ago. Biden, AOC, Warren and the rest of the blues are behaving exactly like Rand villains.
If that's what actually winds up happening. Same thing happened with Cipro after the anthrax attacks in 2001. Bayer said they couldn't meet demand, Bush administration threatened to open the market to generics to let the companies that were saying they could, do so, and Bayer could suddenly find a way to make it happen. In this case, instead of making X on the dose itself, Pfizer, Moderna, and the others will "give the medication away as a gift to the world" while they charge the exact same amount they would have otherwise made to the first world as "technical consulting fees." They were already talking about it approvingly on Rachel Maddow.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

One of the most wrong takes in the post war era is "profit driven medicine doesn't produce anything but boner pills". Everyone who was calling for a global health regime of low to no profits in medicine needs to reevaluate almost everything in their worldview - it has a huge implied body count. The private rate of return should have been low to zero for Pfizer, Moderna etc over the past decade or more?

A very salient second order bad take is "the government should have no role in medicine". That is untenable.

The public policy issue is cost and medical bankruptcy, but you'd better not attack those things with strategies that make things like the vaccine development we just saw impossible and that means you'd better take seriously preservation of market returns in actual innovation. The medical cost and bankruptcy issue is real but if you'd solved it a decade ago in precisely the terms Bernie et al wanted, the cost in lives and treasure would be almost incalculable. It would have been a disastrous outcome. Inarguably.

We should be thinking about how to preserve rates of return for medical innovation but without relying on patent gamification and pay for play use the most expensive new thing even if it is low marginal value strategies. We should be thinking about how Warp Speed worked, how it could be modified, human challenge trials, whether we should be spending hugely more public money on just production and pre purchase, if maybe prize based strategies to supplement a tighter patent model might be better.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

JasonL wrote: 07 May 2021, 10:57 One of the most wrong takes in the post war era is "profit driven medicine doesn't produce anything but boner pills". Everyone who was calling for a global health regime of low to no profits in medicine needs to reevaluate almost everything in their worldview - it has a huge implied body count.
Eleven years ago my brother had surgery for an aneurysm of the ascending aorta. They had to open his chest and the complications from that necessitated a second surgery.

Today they do those things with a scope through a small incision. If the rate of innovation continues, when I wind up needing it (I got the same genes but the defect developed more slowly) the time I spend under general anesthesia will probably be quite short.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Here's an older post which, I'm happy to say, has not aged well at all:
Jennifer wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 00:00 Between the super-slow vaccination rollout rates, and my being among the last in line to get it ... chances are I WON'T get the shot by the end of this summer.
It's less than a week now before I'll be at two weeks past my second dose.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b