Random covid-19 observations

Aresen

Re: Random covid-19 observations

Post by Aresen »

Warren wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 10:59 For the unjabbed
Don't remind me. Canada has been way behind other G7 nations in COVID vaccination, primarily due to supply problems. The earliest I can get it is April if they get a shipment.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
JD

Post by JD »

While I was looking for something completely unrelated, I found the January 1919 edition of Telephone Engineer monthly, and this notice was printed near the front:
please-do-not-use-telephone-influenza.png
please-do-not-use-telephone-influenza.png (152.63 KiB) Viewed 126 times
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I went ahead and registered on the Georgia state health website for the vaccine; unsurprisingly, it said I'm in Phase 2 and will be contacted when Phase 2 people can start getting shots. (I think Phase 2 means "the very last in the adults' line," but I was expecting that already, so no surprises there.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
JD

Post by JD »

Here's something I've been looking for for a while: a breakdown of Covid cases per capita. You hear a lot about "Texas has X million cases!" and "California has Y million cases!" but of course bigger states are going to have more cases on an absolute basis.

(The URL says July 1, but it has been updated to reflect February 24 data.)
https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/p ... uly-1.html
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Highway

Post by Highway »

JD wrote: Yesterday, 12:06 Here's something I've been looking for for a while: a breakdown of Covid cases per capita. You hear a lot about "Texas has X million cases!" and "California has Y million cases!" but of course bigger states are going to have more cases on an absolute basis.

(The URL says July 1, but it has been updated to reflect February 24 data.)
https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/p ... uly-1.html
Interesting that there's a relatively big change among the worst 20% of the states, then a relatively mild change in the middle 60%, then a very steep dropoff in the lowest 20%. I did a quick plot just cause I wanted to see the relative slopes of those drops. It's about a 20% drop in cases from state 1 to 7, then only a 30% drop in cases from State 7 to State 41, then a 73% drop from state 41 to 51.
Quick Covid visualization by state.jpg
Quick Covid visualization by state.jpg (23.87 KiB) Viewed 59 times
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
JD

Post by JD »

Interesting, kind of a...an inverse sigmoid function?
Warren

Post by Warren »

It's not a surprise that Hawaii is an outlier. New England as a region did really well. I expect Boston is responsible for MA's relatively poor showing.
The opinions which are still persecuted strike the majority as so monstrous and immoral that the general principle of toleration cannot be held to apply to them. But this is exactly the same view as that which made possible the tortures of the Inquisition. - Bertrand Russell
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

It's amusing how, for all the hot air in general expended regarding California vs. Texas, they were as good as tied at 24th and 26th.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Warren

Post by Warren »

dead_elvis wrote: Yesterday, 20:22 It's amusing how, for all the hot air in general expended regarding California vs. Texas, they were as good as tied at 24th and 26th.
Nice catch
The opinions which are still persecuted strike the majority as so monstrous and immoral that the general principle of toleration cannot be held to apply to them. But this is exactly the same view as that which made possible the tortures of the Inquisition. - Bertrand Russell