Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

lunchstealer

Re: Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Post by lunchstealer »

ETA: Also fuck Rand Paul anymore. Especially on anything science related.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Fauci's critics (R. Paul II included) are indeed a 90% worthless lot. But Fauci ought to know better than to lie. If he had said last year that improvised masks were better than nothing and the pros need the real thing he would have done a good deed.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
nicole

Post by nicole »

He’s also still against first shots first, and, again, as far as I’m concerned nothing he says can be trusted because of his own past admissions of lying in service of social engineering.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

nicole wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 17:48 He’s also still against first shots first, and, again, as far as I’m concerned nothing he says can be trusted because of his own past admissions of lying in service of social engineering.
oh no he took a side in a debate about tradeoffs that you object to but that is eminently defensible on its face and wholly unremarkable in his field that makes him a monster

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

lunchstealer wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 16:24
Warren wrote: 18 Mar 2021, 15:07
nicole wrote: 18 Mar 2021, 13:56 Tfw you decide to take a break from telling the press about how you knowingly lie to the American people in an effort to socially engineer their response to the pandemic

Ugh. My parents are on Team Fauci. Something about Trump man bad, but I don't have the patience to connect the dots in their world of delusion.
Ah well. I tell myself that they're old and will be dead soon.
I'm mostly on team fuck 90% of Fauci's critics. And if the social engineering bit is about the masks early on, it's way down the list for me in terms of was this straight up unethical. Dumb in that it fueled the antimaskers NBD dipshits and they should never be fueled, but if the downside requires shitty behavior on the part of shitty people for it to be a downside there's shared guilt and he at least wasn't being selfishly malicious.

And Trump etc were so incredibly dishonest and inept and belligerently incompetent that they made Fauci the near sole voice of reason when a sane/competent administration could've promoted someone more competent and actually handed him some consequences for the mask thing.
Not saying they're equivalent, but there was a time when Giuliani was the heroic voice of reason.

Yeah, as between Fauci and Rand, I'm gonna vote Fauchi, but he did blow off Rand's question and his argument wasn't about how bad things still are, it was about how there is the possibility, however slim, that mutations will be as bad or worse.
Mo

Post by Mo »

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
nicole

Post by nicole »

lunchstealer wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 19:00
nicole wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 17:48 He’s also still against first shots first, and, again, as far as I’m concerned nothing he says can be trusted because of his own past admissions of lying in service of social engineering.
oh no he took a side in a debate about tradeoffs that you object to but that is eminently defensible on its face and wholly unremarkable in his field that makes him a monster
Well, he’s in a position where that means I think he’s causing the deaths of thousands of people.

I honestly don’t even know what there is positive to think about him.

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
nicole

Post by nicole »

Also, all of the social engineering stuff is NOT about the masks early on. He’s also been doing it when he’s talked more recently about vaccination and herd immunity and when things can go back to normal. He’s talked explicitly about the fact that he’s making up numbers and changing them over time as public opinion changes, in order to manipulate public opinion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/24/heal ... virus.html

Warren

Post by Warren »

nicole wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 09:04 I honestly don’t even know what there is positive to think about him.
He spoke out publicly against Trump. Therefore he's one of the good guys, because there are only two teams you can be on and if you're not on our team you're on their team.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Christ all fucking mighty, you two. Hes the face of the response. Hes literally been that since last March. There was always going to be failures and successes. I'm not thrilled by some of the things hes saying or done.

But hes only listened to because he publicly argued with Trump? Hes killing thousands of people? Listen to yourselves. Goddamn cranks.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 10:25 Christ all fucking mighty, you two. Hes the face of the response. Hes literally been that since last March. There was always going to be failures and successes. I'm not thrilled by some of the things hes saying or done.

But hes only listened to because he publicly argued with Trump? Hes killing thousands of people? Listen to yourselves. Goddamn cranks.
dude
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Dude I'm just waiting for you to start arguing about americas precious bodily fluids and how it's really only about people hating Trump.

Step back from that ledge, my friend. I will understand.

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Pham wins for quoting Third Eye Blind.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I'm just saying if he could cut ties with all the Trump lies that he's been living in ... I would understand. You know?

Warren

Post by Warren »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 12:15 I'm just saying if he could cut ties with all the Trump lies that he's been living in ... I would understand. You know?
You know what? Just bite me.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Warren wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 15:26
Pham Nuwen wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 12:15 I'm just saying if he could cut ties with all the Trump lies that he's been living in ... I would understand. You know?
You know what? Just bite me.
Was it the Third Eye Blind lyrics?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

nicole wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 09:04
Well, he’s in a position where that means I think he’s causing the deaths of thousands of people.
The three-week/four-week period was chosen for a reason. You've got a lot of questions to answer before you can say with any scientific certainty that you wouldn't reduce the long term effectiveness of the vaccination by screwing with the vaccination schedule in such a way that you wipe out short term gains from wider-spread-but-half-assed immunization.

EDIT: Ignore the following because I kinda forgot which bit of the vaccine rollout you [and only you] were objecting to.... Which thousands, specifically, are dying because we vaccinated docs and olds first and are now vaccinating those of somewhat elevated risk at the expense of the people with the lowest chance of dying?
Last edited by lunchstealer on 21 Mar 2021, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.

Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 18:40
Which thousands, specifically, are dying because we vaccinated docs and olds first and are now vaccinating those of somewhat elevated risk at the expense of the people with the lowest chance of dying?
Why on earth would you think that's what we're talking about?
Oh riiiiiight. Trump man bad. I forgot.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 18:51
lunchstealer wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 18:40
Which thousands, specifically, are dying because we vaccinated docs and olds first and are now vaccinating those of somewhat elevated risk at the expense of the people with the lowest chance of dying?
Why on earth would you think that's what we're talking about?
Oh riiiiiight. Trump man bad. I forgot.
nicole, why are you posting from Warren's account and using the royal 'we'?

nicole

Post by nicole »

Really glad after all that there’s literally no objection to my original post characterizing Fauci as an inveterate liar.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

nicole wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 07:47 Really glad after all that there’s literally no objection to my original post characterizing Fauci as an inveterate liar.
He hasn't really been on our radar long enough to establish "inveterate," but you can make a reasonable prima facie case. Still, I don't see Fauci as unique in that regard. Public health officials assume, and not without any evidence, that their audience is largely comprised of ignorant fools. Add to that the fact that early data is often misleading or isn't leading anywhere, but "people want answers, dammit!" Having lived through the AIDS crisis in the early 80s, I recall a great deal of early erroneous public health announcements, and I'm not sure they ever did cop to the fact that a heterosexual man who wasn't an iv drug user had a minuscule risk of infection. Ceteris paribus, that's the same situation a vaccinated person not wearing a mask is facing now. But it doesn't play with the "We're all in this together" campaign, so it gets downplayed or flat out denied. The more things change, ....
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

nicole wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 07:47 Really glad after all that there’s literally no objection to my original post characterizing Fauci as an inveterate liar.
Just as your ZOMG KILLED TEH THOUSANDS BY VACCINATING ACCORDING TO TRIAL DATA RECOMMENDATIONS bit is at best a questionable conclusion and mostly a breathless overreaction, so is characterizing picking the low end of the bracket in one circumstance in terms of both social climate and scientific consensus and adjusting with factors of both new scientific data and new discoveries as well as social climate to a more pessimistic interpretation is not 'inveterate lying' as if there's only One Immutable Truth of Herd Immunity Rates.

I've acknowledged his failings on the masks, and certainly am happy to take him off the pedestal not least because pedestals for humans is gross and again acknowledged flaws, but your rage is out of balance.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Dude no one knows what the fuck you are talking about and no one wants to know because you keep doing bizzare rants about Fauci like a loon.

nicole

Post by nicole »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 12:56
Dude no one knows what the fuck you are talking about and no one wants to know because you keep doing bizzare rants about Fauci like a loon.
The longest of which has run to literally three lines on this page.

Right.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

nicole wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 13:06
Pham Nuwen wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 12:56
The longest of which has run to literally three lines on this page.

Right.
I think we can all agree that nice, tight, succinct bizzare rants about Fauci like a loon are the best bizzare rants about Fauci like a loon.