Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Number 6

Re: Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Post by Number 6 »

Part of the issue, I think, is that the lower levels of medical education (sub-MD and BSN, and perhaps, sub-RN) are very much technical school based. Those who can memorize and regurgitate do just fine, but end up coming away with little, if any, scientific understanding. This is especially true among Paramedics, many of whom have no real interest in medicine and want only to get a -P after their name so that they can find a fire department job. That shows in my own department, where people who should damn well know better are declining the shot. I think three of us have gotten vaccinated. The rest are repeating stupid news stories about anaphylaxis* and even infertility.
I’m trying to gently nudge people, but when my skittles bag metaphor** doesn’t work, I’m left resisting the urge to scream, “We can fucking end this fucking thing, you brain dead fucking fuck, but when dumbshit, smooth-brained, galactically fucktarded imbeciles like you won’t fucking lead the way, and, in fucking fact, are leading in exactly the wrong fucking direction-the one that leads to yet more death and disability-AS A FUCKING SUPPOSED MEDICAL FUCKING PROFESSIONAL-we will never, ever, fucking EVER get out of this. Fuck you, and don’t fucking expect flowers in ICU, and I hope they fucking remove your gonads so your foul, mentally sub-normal DNA can’t spread any fucking farther, you mouth breathing, crypto-MAGA fuckwit!”. Somehow, that later doesn’t feel productive.

*Paramedics should know damn well that anaplylaxis is easily fixable, because THEY FUCKING DO IT on the regular.
**Actually, my husband’s metaphor. Imagine you are presented with two bags of skittles. You must chose one to pull a skittle from. One bag contains a thousand skittles, one (actually, probably none) of which is poisoned. The second bag contains 100 skittles. One skittle in that bag will kill you. Somewhere between 5 and 20 will leave you permanently disabled, to some extent. An unknown, but larger, number will knock you on your ass for a week. Now choose.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I have made the comment repeatedly that my profession and those who work alongside of us arent academically inclined as a group. This group is composed of nurses and techs of all kinds.

The observation is rarely received well.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 18:59 I have made the comment repeatedly that my profession and those who work alongside of us arent academically inclined as a group. This group is composed of nurses and techs of all kinds.

Of course they’re academically inclined. They once memorized a bunch of facts. That’s the same as an education, right?
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul
Warren

Post by Warren »

Number 6 wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 21:47
Pham Nuwen wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 18:59 I have made the comment repeatedly that my profession and those who work alongside of us arent academically inclined as a group. This group is composed of nurses and techs of all kinds.

Of course they’re academically inclined. They once memorized a bunch of facts. That’s the same as an education, right?
He dropped the apostrophe and you flipped it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

According to my elementary school teachers, yes.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 23:19

According to my elementary school teachers, yes.
Public school teachers I assume.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

That is the attitude mostly. And its lazy. Most of the training and learning is hands on and practical. And the group likes to eat its young to keep that attitude.

A good example is some cow-orkers think I'm crazy that I'm not worried about the doc killing anyone since they know the story of doctor death. But I know the 20 year icu nurse has killed like 5 times as many people with just simple honest mistakes involving medication. And you cant voice such an opinion in my work setting.

Nobody thinks about that in the or. I label and follow any meds I receive. If I dont see it or I didnt do it then it didnt happen. I check up. And people think I'm overzealous.

Highway

Post by Highway »

I've said before, and sounds like it's still true, that the nurses and techs who don't give a shit about doing the details of their job properly are the ones who have the long tenures, because they harass and harangue the newer nurses who actually do care, who actually try to make the place run better, until the newer nurses quit. They hold 'experience' above everything else, even if it's at the expense of doing jobs properly. And when someone comes in and tries to do a good job, it makes them look awful, so their reaction is to harass that person to get rid of them.

You've been a floor nurse for 20 years, huh? So why didn't you ever get promoted? Probably because you're probably a shitty person who couldn't handle the job, and you've never done quite enough enough times to get fired, because there's a continual nursing shortage that you contribute to by running people out of the field. But at least your bosses recognize that you'd do many times more damage if they tried to move you up, so the best you can do is get to be temporary charge nurse when there's absolutely noone else available.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Jake

Post by Jake »

Highway wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 11:36 I've said before, and sounds like it's still true, that the nurses and techs who don't give a shit about doing the details of their job properly are the ones who have the long tenures, because they harass and harangue the newer nurses who actually do care, who actually try to make the place run better, until the newer nurses quit. They hold 'experience' above everything else, even if it's at the expense of doing jobs properly. And when someone comes in and tries to do a good job, it makes them look awful, so their reaction is to harass that person to get rid of them.
Replace all the nurse-specific stuff with sergeant-specific stuff, and you are describing exactly my experience in the Army.
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I think it's just growing comfortable and not wanting to change. The push isn't to run people out but to make them conform. The result is the same though.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I received notification last night that I'm registered to receive the vaccine as a 1B in Dallas County. There are at least 100,000 people on that list but I'm hopeful I can get the first round by the end of the month.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 15:10 I received notification last night that I'm registered to receive the vaccine as a 1B in Dallas County. There are at least 100,000 people on that list but I'm hopeful I can get the first round by the end of the month.
Fuck yeah.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

What happens if you get the first shot of the covid vaccine, then get exposed to/infected with the virus before your second shot -- do you still get some protective benefit, compared to someone who ever got any vaccine at all?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Jennifer wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 18:58 What happens if you get the first shot of the covid vaccine, then get exposed to/infected with the virus before your second shot -- do you still get some protective benefit, compared to someone who ever got any vaccine at all?
Almost definitely yes, starting something like 14 days after the first shot, but there's some controversy about how much.