Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

dbcooper

Re: Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Covid: Israel's vaccine rollout linked to infection fall
Israel's vaccination programme is showing signs of working to drive down infections and illness in the over-60s.

The fall appears to be most pronounced in older people and areas furthest ahead in their immunisation efforts.

This suggests it is the vaccine, and not just the country's current lockdown, taking effect.

Israeli Ministry of Health (MoH) figures show 531 over-60s, out of almost 750,000 fully vaccinated, tested positive for coronavirus (0.07%).

And far fewer fell ill, with 38 becoming hospitalised with moderate, severe or critical disease - a tiny proportion.

The MoH assessed the medical records of almost a million people in total - 743,845 of whom were over the age of 60 - until at least seven days after they received a second dose of the vaccine.

There were three deaths in vaccinated over-60s - although it is possible they contracted the infection earlier, before their immunity had time to build.

Before the vaccine had time to take effect, more than 7,000 infections were recorded, just under 700 cases of moderate to critical illness and 307 deaths.

The MoH data suggests infections and illnesses fell consistently from 14 days after receiving the first jab onwards.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

And this is why people need to keep up precautions even through vaccine rollout, and why the anti-TakeItSeriously people fucking piss me off. The longer and wider it goes, the more likely we'll never get it under control.

This single immunocompromised patient was actively infected for 154 days. In that time, the virus produced 20+ different mutations.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Everyone grab the nearest old person and head to Massachusetts
The new “companion appointments,” effective Thursday, will be allowed for younger spouses, adult children, relatives, neighbors, or caregivers who take residents 75 and over to appointments at the mass vaccination sites. Companions can book two separate appointments, at the same or adjacent times, through the state website www.mass.gov/covid vaccine. Only one companion who accompanies an older resident will be eligible.

“Any caregiver is eligible to receive the vaccine at the same site as their 75-year-old partner,” Governor Charlie Baker told reporters Wednesday at a briefing in Danvers on Wednesday. “This includes a family member or friend who is supporting someone who is 75 years or older. ... The mass vaccination sites will make every effort to take both individuals at the same time.”
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

New Zealand has community transmission:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/unex ... t-n1257912

When will people accept that COVID zero is not going to happen, or at least not for a very long time? Even an island country can't get there, not even with a progressive millennial running the government.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
JD

Post by JD »

An interesting look into why Covid-19 has hit richer countries in the "global north" harder than poorer countries in the "global south": https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021 ... han-others

Possible explanations include the age structure of the population, underreporting of Covid deaths, previous exposure to other coronaviruses providing partial immunity, and more.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Without looking into your article, every country on earth has reported 15 to 30 percent more deaths than the year before.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
JD

Post by JD »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 10:59 Without looking into your article, every country on earth has reported 15 to 30 percent more deaths than the year before.
They do actually get into that:
What to do when you can’t take coroners’ reports at face value, assuming that you even have a coroner’s report? Public-health experts have a saying: “It’s hard to hide bodies.” So a surge of deaths under any description—“all-cause mortality”—might help us glimpse the true dimension of the problem.

What’s the story in India? I turned to Ajay Shah, a soft-spoken economist from New Delhi, who has performed a notably detailed analysis of deaths in India during the pandemic. Rather than relying on hospital data, Shah and his co-author, Renuka Sane, have used a longitudinal household survey, in which each household is assessed three times a year, to examine the number and the pattern of deaths. They found that the total number of “all cause” deaths reported between May and August almost doubled in India compared with the same period in each of the past five years.

“Is that because the number of covid deaths in the country has been vastly underestimated?” I asked.

“It’s impossible to have a decisive answer,” Shah told me. “But the pattern of the excess deaths doesn’t really shout out covid as the cause. It just doesn’t.” When his researchers analyzed the data by age, location, and gender, they found that excess deaths tended to be observed in younger cohorts, and in rural rather than in urban settings; nor was there evidence of the usual coronavirus skew toward greater lethality in men. “The telltale signatures of covid just aren’t there,” he said. He won’t venture any hypotheses about the cause of the excess deaths. But among the possible candidates are indirect consequences of the pandemic: wage loss, displacement, malnourishment, forced migration, and disruptions in health care—the skipped clinic visit for malaria, diabetes, TB, or hypertension. According to World Health Organization analyses, disruptions in medical care and prevention programs related to malaria, TB, and H.I.V. will have cost many more lives in sub-Saharan Africa in the past year than the coronavirus. In poorer regions, especially, infection isn’t the only way that the pandemic can cost lives.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I suspect the north v. south covid dichotomy is due to the same reason European diseases wrecked American Indian populations far worse than American Indian diseases wrecked Europeans (yeah, syphilis was nasty back in the day, but it never did and never could result in Captain Trips-level population destruction among Europeans, as smallpox and other European imports did to the Indians): people living in the poorer countries likely have had far more exposure to various microorganisms than rich-world citizens do. (And in sub-Saharan Africa, there's the additional "advantage" [in covid terms] that their governments and societies have had VERY recent experience dealing with far nastier contagions such as ebola. If you're used to dealing with monster viruses such as ebola, dealing with mere covid must seem like child's play.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
JD

Post by JD »

The NYer also published this a while back: The Plague Year
which deals more with the political aspects of things in the US. There's a lot in there about how the Feds basically took an adversarial stance with the states, which led to some pretty crazy things, up to and including using the state National Guard to discourage the Feds from seizing stuff.
Governors discovered that the Trump Administration was sabotaging their efforts to protect citizens. Charlie Baker (Republican governor of Massachusetts) arranged to buy three million N95 masks from China, but federal authorities seized them at the Port of New York, paying the supplier a premium. In another group call with Trump, Baker, a Republican, complained, “We took seriously the push you made not to rely on the stockpile. I got to tell you, we lost to the Feds. . . . I’ve got a feeling that, if somebody has to sell to you or me, I’m going to lose every one of those.”

“Price is always a component,” Trump replied coldly.

Baker quietly secured a cache of 1.2 million masks from China, and enlisted the help of Robert Kraft, the owner of the New England Patriots, who used the team plane to fly the shipment to Logan Airport, where it was received by the Massachusetts National Guard and spirited away.
Highway

Post by Highway »

JD wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 17:21 The NYer also published this a while back: The Plague Year
which deals more with the political aspects of things in the US. There's a lot in there about how the Feds basically took an adversarial stance with the states, which led to some pretty crazy things, up to and including using the state National Guard to discourage the Feds from seizing stuff.
Governors discovered that the Trump Administration was sabotaging their efforts to protect citizens. Charlie Baker (Republican governor of Massachusetts) arranged to buy three million N95 masks from China, but federal authorities seized them at the Port of New York, paying the supplier a premium. In another group call with Trump, Baker, a Republican, complained, “We took seriously the push you made not to rely on the stockpile. I got to tell you, we lost to the Feds. . . . I’ve got a feeling that, if somebody has to sell to you or me, I’m going to lose every one of those.”

“Price is always a component,” Trump replied coldly.

Baker quietly secured a cache of 1.2 million masks from China, and enlisted the help of Robert Kraft, the owner of the New England Patriots, who used the team plane to fly the shipment to Logan Airport, where it was received by the Massachusetts National Guard and spirited away.
Yeah, MD Gov. Hogan did the same thing with a bunch of Covid tests from Korea, facilitated by his wife and secretly flown to BWI.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jennifer wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 15:37 I suspect the north v. south covid dichotomy is due to the same reason European diseases wrecked American Indian populations far worse than American Indian diseases wrecked Europeans (yeah, syphilis was nasty back in the day, but it never did and never could result in Captain Trips-level population destruction among Europeans, as smallpox and other European imports did to the Indians): people living in the poorer countries likely have had far more exposure to various microorganisms than rich-world citizens do. (And in sub-Saharan Africa, there's the additional "advantage" [in covid terms] that their governments and societies have had VERY recent experience dealing with far nastier contagions such as ebola. If you're used to dealing with monster viruses such as ebola, dealing with mere covid must seem like child's play.)
? I thought the 'American Indians exported Syphilis to the Old World' thing had been debunked. IIRC, skeletons with bone lesions characteristic of syphilis had been discovered dating back to the fifth century.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Aresen wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 19:20
Jennifer wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 15:37 I suspect the north v. south covid dichotomy is due to the same reason European diseases wrecked American Indian populations far worse than American Indian diseases wrecked Europeans (yeah, syphilis was nasty back in the day, but it never did and never could result in Captain Trips-level population destruction among Europeans, as smallpox and other European imports did to the Indians): people living in the poorer countries likely have had far more exposure to various microorganisms than rich-world citizens do. (And in sub-Saharan Africa, there's the additional "advantage" [in covid terms] that their governments and societies have had VERY recent experience dealing with far nastier contagions such as ebola. If you're used to dealing with monster viruses such as ebola, dealing with mere covid must seem like child's play.)
? I thought the 'American Indians exported Syphilis to the Old World' thing had been debunked. IIRC, skeletons with bone lesions characteristic of syphilis had been discovered dating back to the fifth century.
FWIW, I've a vague memory of reading (and mentioning on one iteration of the Gryll forum or other) that supposedly, signs of syphilis had been found among victims of Pompeii or Herculaneum. But IIRC, I was assured that this is bullshit and only a fool would believe syphilis existed in Europe before Columbus got back.

Either way, the fact is European diseases fucked the New Worlders far more than vice versa because Europe then was in contact with people from all over the rest of the Old World, and the population had already been culled by generations of nasty plagues leaving hardier survivors, whereas the New World people were mostly cut off from the rest of humanity and our microbes for some ten or eleven thousand years, and never had the opportunity to develop the disease resistance a typical "healthy" European had by the time Columbus started wreaking havoc over here. (I think the Eurasians' higher levels of animal domestication and living in close proximity to said animals also drove our disease rates up, compared to pre-Columbian New Worlders. I gather that's also why China today is more likely to spawn new diseases than the US.)

Nowadays, I know that if an American or other First Worlder is planning a visit to various poorer countries, they're advised to first get a bunch of vaccinations which people who spend their whole lives in the US or Canada don't need to get. (Back in the late 90s, I recall, the father of my then-boyfriend was going to India for an extended business trip, and was feeling ill one day due to the side effects from various pre-India shots he had to get.) I don't think the same thing works in reverse -- someone from India, visiting or emigrating to the US (pre-covid), probably does not have to get a bunch of shots to protect against those super-nasty US bugs which people in India needn't worry about. All else being equal, I figure a modern poor-world resident likely has a more robust immune system than a typical modern rich-world resident who enjoys such amenities as "drinking water that's been specially treated in a sophisticated water-treatment facility before entering the pipes leading directly into people's homes."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

An 11-year-old girl in St. Louis came home to find both of her parents (in their 40s) dead of covid-19.