Conspiracy and Kooky thinking

Painboy

Re: Conspiracy and Kooky thinking

Post by Painboy »

Watching anything from Alex Jones allows to me to experience what I imagine most lefties experience when listening to Rush Limbaugh.*

*Not a fan or anything but the hate leveled at him always seemed disproportionate to what he actually said.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Painboy wrote:*Not a fan or anything but the hate leveled at him always seemed disproportionate to what he actually said.
Leonard Pozner (whose six-year-old son Noah was either one of the 20 kids murdered at Sandy Hook Elementary School, or -- for believers in Jones' conspiracy theories -- one of the 20 prepubescent crisis actors working for the US government to fake an atrocity in order to drum up support for gun control laws) would probably disagree.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
fyodor

Post by fyodor »

Jennifer wrote:
Painboy wrote:*Not a fan or anything but the hate leveled at him always seemed disproportionate to what he actually said.
Leonard Pozner (whose six-year-old son Noah was either one of the 20 kids murdered at Sandy Hook Elementary School, or -- for believers in Jones' conspiracy theories -- one of the 20 prepubescent crisis actors working for the US government to fake an atrocity in order to drum up support for gun control laws) would probably disagree.
I interpreted Painboy to be referring to Rush Limbaugh as the one whose leveled hate seems disproportionate, after saying that his own feelings about Alex Jones are akin to that hatred. But of course only Painboy can say for sure.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

fyodor wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
I interpreted Painboy to be referring to Rush Limbaugh as the one whose leveled hate seems disproportionate, after saying that his own feelings about Alex Jones are akin to that hatred. But of course only Painboy can say for sure.
I Interpreted it the same way; I'm just suggesting that such hatred is not disproportionate to "what he actually said." Jones' insistence, for example, that the Sandy Hook shooting was "synthetic" and "totally fake" and that the various people who died there were later spotted alive and well in other places thus means that all those parents who lost kids in the massacre were lying, and lying for nefarious reasons, too. And the Jones fans who believe those parents were lying -- ether lying when they said their kids died, or lying when they said those kids ever existed in the first place -- were the same ones harassing said parents, even to the point of sending them death threats .... yeah, Jones damned well does deserve hatred for rubbing salt in those people's wounds.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
fyodor

Post by fyodor »

Jennifer wrote:
fyodor wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
I Interpreted it the same way; I'm just suggesting that such hatred is not disproportionate to "what he actually said." Jones' insistence, for example, that the Sandy Hook shooting was "synthetic" and "totally fake" and that the various people who died there were later spotted alive and well in other places thus means that all those parents who lost kids in the massacre were lying, and lying for nefarious reasons, too. And the Jones fans who believe those parents were lying -- ether lying when they said their kids died, or lying when they said those kids ever existed in the first place -- were the same ones harassing said parents, even to the point of sending them death threats .... yeah, Jones damned well does deserve hatred for rubbing salt in those people's wounds.
I don't think Painboy considers his own hatred of Jones to be disproportionate to what Jones said. I think he only added that last bit to make clear that he's not defending Limbaugh as one might possibly assume from his depiction of liberals' hatred of Limbaugh as something he would never have be able to experience or quite understand without Alex Jones eliciting in him the same type of reaction.

But again, I should leave it there for Painboy to address himself.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

IMO -- regarding things like Sandy Hook -- it wouldn't have been quite so horrible had Jones' conspiracy-take on it been "It did happen, those people really did die, it's just that the information you've been given about the murderer was wrong--he was, like, secretly on the government payroll, or was brainwashed into doing it from government chemtrails, or something along those lines." But InfoWars pushed the argument that it did not happen.

From the article I linked above:
If his defense is true, Leonard Pozner believes Jones’ decades-long performance has destroyed too many lives—including his own.

“I wish I could be there in the courtroom to stare him down to remind him of how he’s throwing salt on a wound, and so he can remember how he handed out salt for other people to throw on mine,” said Pozner.

Pozner’s 6-year-old son, Noah, was one of 20 children killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in 2012. Six staff members also died in the shooting. Since then, he and his family have been the target of a conspiracy theory, fueled most prominently by Jones and InfoWars, that the shooting never really happened, and that the 20 dead children were actually “crisis actors” planted by the United States government in a false flag operation to drum up support for stricter gun control laws.

Since the massacre in 2012, Jones’ site repeatedly ran stories with headlines like “Mystery: Sandy Hook Victim Dies (Again) In Pakistan” and “College Professor Says ‘Crisis Actors’ May Have Played Part If Sandy Hook Was Indeed a Hoax.”
fyodor

Post by fyodor »

Jennifer wrote:IMO -- regarding things like Sandy Hook -- it wouldn't have been quite so horrible had Jones' conspiracy-take on it been "It did happen, those people really did die, it's just that the information you've been given about the murderer was wrong--he was, like, secretly on the government payroll, or was brainwashed into doing it from government chemtrails, or something along those lines." But InfoWars pushed the argument that it did not happen.

If his defense is true, Leonard Pozner believes Jones’ decades-long performance has destroyed too many lives—including his own.

“I wish I could be there in the courtroom to stare him down to remind him of how he’s throwing salt on a wound, and so he can remember how he handed out salt for other people to throw on mine,” said Pozner.

Pozner’s 6-year-old son, Noah, was one of 20 children killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in 2012. Six staff members also died in the shooting. Since then, he and his family have been the target of a conspiracy theory, fueled most prominently by Jones and InfoWars, that the shooting never really happened, and that the 20 dead children were actually “crisis actors” planted by the United States government in a false flag operation to drum up support for stricter gun control laws.

Since the massacre in 2012, Jones’ site repeatedly ran stories with headlines like “Mystery: Sandy Hook Victim Dies (Again) In Pakistan” and “College Professor Says ‘Crisis Actors’ May Have Played Part If Sandy Hook Was Indeed a Hoax.”
One of us seems to be badly misunderstanding the other. I have no qualm with your depiction of Jones, and it is my interpretation of Painboy's post that he does not either.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

fyodor wrote:
Jennifer wrote:IMO -- regarding things like Sandy Hook -- it wouldn't have been quite so horrible had Jones' conspiracy-take on it been "It did happen, those people really did die, it's just that the information you've been given about the murderer was wrong--he was, like, secretly on the government payroll, or was brainwashed into doing it from government chemtrails, or something along those lines." But InfoWars pushed the argument that it did not happen.

One of us seems to be badly misunderstanding the other. I have no qualm with your depiction of Jones, and it is my interpretation of Painboy's post that he does not either.
Ah, see, my interpretation was that Painboy does disagree -- but I based that on the assumption that his comment "Not a fan or anything but the hate leveled at him always seemed disproportionate to what he actually said" was meant to apply to Jones as well as to Limbaugh. IMO, the hate leveled as Jones is "disproportionate" only in the sense that it doesn't go far enough -- his conspiracies don't merely smear politicians (who asked to be in the limelight and granted power over others); they smear ordinary innocent people who already suffered something horrible, then that shitstain Jones makes matters worse for them by suggesting these innocent victims of horror are actually malicious conspiratorial actors.
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Jennifer wrote:
fyodor wrote:

Ah, see, my interpretation was that Painboy does disagree -- but I based that on the assumption that his comment "Not a fan or anything but the hate leveled at him always seemed disproportionate to what he actually said" was meant to apply to Jones as well as to Limbaugh. IMO, the hate leveled as Jones is "disproportionate" only in the sense that it doesn't go far enough -- his conspiracies don't merely smear politicians (who asked to be in the limelight and granted power over others); they smear ordinary innocent people who already suffered something horrible, then that shitstain Jones makes matters worse for them by suggesting these innocent victims of horror are actually malicious conspiratorial actors.
Yes you misunderstood my point. That quote was talking about Limbaugh. The reaction from certain members of the left to what Limbaugh says is IMO way over the top. He may often be at times insensitive or a hypocrite but I just didn't get how anyone could experience what appears to be vitriolic face punching hatred for him.

With Alex Jones I get a good sense of how they must feel since the shit Jones says is both insane and disgusting. He is just an all around odious human being who only makes the world worse with his presence and he deserves every criticism flung at him.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Ah. Gotcha.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Now we know why they could never find the Pizzagate victims
On Thursday’s program, the InfoWars host welcomed guest Robert David Steele onto The Alex Jones Show, which airs on 118 radio stations nationwide, to talk about kidnapped children he said have been sent on a two-decade mission to space.
“We actually believe that there is a colony on Mars that is populated by children who were kidnapped and sent into space on a 20-year ride,” said Steele. “So that once they get to Mars they have no alternative but to be slaves on the Mars colony.”
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Hugh Akston wrote:Now we know why they could never find the Pizzagate victims
On Thursday’s program, the InfoWars host welcomed guest Robert David Steele onto The Alex Jones Show, which airs on 118 radio stations nationwide, to talk about kidnapped children he said have been sent on a two-decade mission to space.
“We actually believe that there is a colony on Mars that is populated by children who were kidnapped and sent into space on a 20-year ride,” said Steele. “So that once they get to Mars they have no alternative but to be slaves on the Mars colony.”
This is why you don't mix anime with psilocybin.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

It is really hard to believe in the universal franchise when you read stuff like that.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
nicole

Post by nicole »

So...they're...I mean...they're not children anymore though right...
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

nicole wrote:
So...they're...I mean...they're not children anymore though right...
They were held in stasis. Or time warp. Or something like that.
*waves hands*
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Is the Senate going to vote on Steele's nomination to Trump's cabinet?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Seems legit. A secret government space program would probably be screwed up enough to take twenty years, one-way, for a Mars trip...
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Mo

Post by Mo »

Eric the .5b wrote:Seems legit. A secret government space program would probably be screwed up enough to take twenty years, one-way, for a Mars trip...
But still have enough food to last 20 years?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Mo wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:Seems legit. A secret government space program would probably be screwed up enough to take twenty years, one-way, for a Mars trip...
Well, the passengers are also consumables.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Ah so that's why the space guy in that Hardy boys knockoff was named Swift.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

thoreau wrote:
Mo wrote:
And they arrive dead and mummified, anyway.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Eric the .5b wrote:
thoreau wrote:
Mo wrote:
And they arrive dead and mummified, anyway.
The plan to put Trump in space just gets better; he's already a jerky boy.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
fyodor

Post by fyodor »

I always thought this was a joke. People used to say, Oh sure there's a "society", but they don't really believe that stuff. But apparently... they do?

They say their movement is growing, as people learn the facts! Will you be next.....?

(The persecution thing in the headline isn't really borne out in the article other than that they get called "stupid" a lot.)
Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy »

fyodor wrote:I always thought this was a joke. People used to say, Oh sure there's a "society", but they don't really believe that stuff. But apparently... they do?

They say their movement is growing, as people learn the facts! Will you be next.....?

(The persecution thing in the headline isn't really borne out in the article other than that they get called "stupid" a lot.)
It may have been tongue in cheek at one point, though I suspect True Believers™ were always there, but it's definitely become A Thing because...too much spare time and easy reinforcement? Dunno.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I think there's been a growing anti-authority anti-orthodoxy anti-shared-truth trend in the past 30 years, starting with pomo creeping out of academia, and now you've got Critical Theorists claiming that truth is imperialism and Newt Fucking Gingrich saying that "If they feel it, isn't that a kind of truth?"
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake