Money for Nothing: the Universal Basic Income

Jennifer

Re: Money for Nothing: the Universal Basic Income

Post by Jennifer »

Shem wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 16:26
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 15:53 More evidence why I believe a UBI is politically inevitable.

My god, they've put heterosexual white dancers out of business
Fortunately, jazz hands and other five-fingered dexterity things are still beyond robots' reach.

For now.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Warren

Post by Warren »

Shem wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 16:26
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 15:53 More evidence why I believe a UBI is politically inevitable.

My god, they've put heterosexual white dancers out of business
What? Both of them?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Once they can do jazz hands they can vote in Occupy rallies and it's a short hop to the next autonomous zone being fully autonomous.
Warren

Post by Warren »

I for one welcome our new dancing robot overlords.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
JD

Post by JD »

Andrew Yang is now running for Mayor of NYC, and he's pushing his UBI idea again; he hasn't mentioned exact numbers lately AFAICT but he's usually tossed around the $1000/month figure. We've done this math before, of course, but there are about 8.4 million residents of NYC: $12000/year * 8.4 million = approximately $100 billion / year. By way of comparison, the entire NYC budget is only $88 billion / year...

Frankly, I don't think Yang has much of a chance - his haste to flee the city during the pandemic and his record of not even bothering to vote in mayoral elections are not good looks for a candidate, and frankly I think he may discover an untapped vein of anti-Asian racism. If he has any chance, it's probably in his FREE MONEY FOR EVERYBODY proposal.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Warren

Post by Warren »

JD wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 11:15 Andrew Yang is now running for Mayor of NYC, and he's pushing his UBI idea again; he hasn't mentioned exact numbers lately AFAICT but he's usually tossed around the $1000/month figure. We've done this math before, of course, but there are about 8.4 million residents of NYC: $12000/year * 8.4 million = approximately $100 billion / year. By way of comparison, the entire NYC budget is only $88 billion / year...

Frankly, I don't think Yang has much of a chance - his haste to flee the city during the pandemic and his record of not even bothering to vote in mayoral elections are not good looks for a candidate, and frankly I think he may discover an untapped vein of anti-Asian racism. If he has any chance, it's probably in his FREE MONEY FOR EVERYBODY proposal.
The effect on the cost of living in NYC would be huge. It would have the opposite of the intended effect, by exasperating inequality. The rich would be getting super rich soaking up all that free money from the poor. And the poor would be paying $25 for a Big Mac.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 11:32
JD wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 11:15 Andrew Yang is now running for Mayor of NYC, and he's pushing his UBI idea again; he hasn't mentioned exact numbers lately AFAICT but he's usually tossed around the $1000/month figure. We've done this math before, of course, but there are about 8.4 million residents of NYC: $12000/year * 8.4 million = approximately $100 billion / year. By way of comparison, the entire NYC budget is only $88 billion / year...

The effect on the cost of living in NYC would be huge. It would have the opposite of the intended effect, by exasperating inequality. The rich would be getting super rich soaking up all that free money from the poor. And the poor would be paying $25 for a Big Mac.
Why, Warren! You don't think news that their tenants' income rose by $1k a month would lead to rent increases, do you? How cynical! Next you'll be telling us that's what happened to college tuition when guaranteed student loans first became available!
Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 11:39
Warren wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 11:32

Why, Warren! You don't think news that their tenants' income rose by $1k a month would lead to rent increases, do you? How cynical! Next you'll be telling us that's what happened to college tuition when guaranteed student loans first became available!
Indeed I will. But first I'll tell you what happened to College Administration size and salary.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT