Calling 2020 for Entropy

Aresen

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Aresen »

I can see how the move could be both a ploy to put a squeeze on Pence and an attempt to curry favor with the Orange Emperor, but there is also an underlying element of crazy.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Holy shit!

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Yeah, I saw that on Twitter yesterday, when Wood's name was trending.

Remember when it would've been internationally front-page newsworthy for the personal lawyer of the POTUS to say such a thing in public? [nostalgic sigh]
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Ted Cruz and at least 10 other GOP senators are urging the senate to "object" to the results of the electoral college. Of course there's no chance of this being successful in giving the presidency to Trump again, but -- holy shit, THAT is what the GOP has come down to.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Oh, and I see Republican Louie Gohmert is literally calling for violence in the streets, after his lawsuit attempt against Pence was dismissed. Jesus. Remember when the GOP used to at least pretend to care about the constitution?

https://news.yahoo.com/rep-gohmert-call ... 09939.html
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if congressmen calling for violence had to go into exile. It's what some of the Catalonian secessionist leaders did.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jennifer wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 20:38 Ted Cruz and at least 10 other GOP senators are urging the senate to "object" to the results of the electoral college. Of course there's no chance of this being successful in giving the presidency to Trump again, but -- holy shit, THAT is what the GOP has come down to.
As others have mentioned, I can only conclude they are so afraid of Trump's wrath - and are so willing to curry his favor - they will do anything to please him.

When I read stories of the fall of the Roman Republic in the 1st century BCE, I used to think that the portrayals of the various Senators abasing themselves to Marius, Sulla, Pompey and Caesar* were slurs by Suetonius and Tacitus. I don't believe that any more.

*Marius, Sulla, Pompey and Caesar were all vastly more competent than Trump, who more resembles Publius Clodius Pulcher.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Aresen wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 21:17
Jennifer wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 20:38 Ted Cruz and at least 10 other GOP senators are urging the senate to "object" to the results of the electoral college. Of course there's no chance of this being successful in giving the presidency to Trump again, but -- holy shit, THAT is what the GOP has come down to.
As others have mentioned, I can only conclude they are so afraid of Trump's wrath - and are so willing to curry his favor - they will do anything to please him.

When I read stories of the fall of the Roman Republic in the 1st century BCE, I used to think that the portrayals of the various Senators abasing themselves to Marius, Sulla, Pompey and Caesar* were slurs by Suetonius and Tacitus. I don't believe that any more.

*Marius, Sulla, Pompey and Caesar were all vastly more competent than Trump, who more resembles Publius Clodius Pulcher.
I know that as ibertarians we're officially not supposed to engage in notions of cllective guilt or collective punishments, but even so: it damned well serves the GOP right. The party spent so many years sucking up to racists and reality-deniers, it's almost fitting that the party's final end should come not because of some charismatic Machiavellian genius, but a narcissistic dumbass with the mentality of a toddler.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Aresen wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 17:08 Holy shit!

Even MAGA Teen Hunger Force agrees with you!

Like baptists at the glory hole

"oh dear" they mutter, unzipping their pants

-dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

When MAGA Teen Hunger Force is the voice of reason....
--JD
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

This shit would be funnier if the people giving Trump lapdances had any comeuppance on the horizon when he inevitably degenerates into madness and irrelevance.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Hugh Akston wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 00:15 This shit would be funnier if the people giving Trump lapdances had any comeuppance on the horizon when he inevitably degenerates into madness and irrelevance.
That is my main hope WRT to Trump: That he will become more and more clearly delusional and incoherent through either senility or madness that even his supporters can't deny it. He already cannot sustain a thought longer than a sound bite. When will he reach the point he cannot form a complete sentence?

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Aresen wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 00:37
Hugh Akston wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 00:15 This shit would be funnier if the people giving Trump lapdances had any comeuppance on the horizon when he inevitably degenerates into madness and irrelevance.
That is my main hope WRT to Trump: That he will become more and more clearly delusional and incoherent through either senility or madness that even his supporters can't deny it. He already cannot sustain a thought longer than a sound bite. When will he reach the point he cannot form a complete sentence?
His supporters will still go after anyone who criticizes the Orange God Emperor.
--JD
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Now he's calling up the Georgia Secretary of State and trying to intimidate him into changing election results.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... RaZfP7UysM

If (note the caveat) there's a federal or state crime in that then for the good of the republic they pretty much have to charge him. The main reason to not charge a former president with crimes is so he won't be afraid to relinquish power. It follows that a key reason to charge him with crimes would be because he tried not to relinquish power. The most important thing a democracy can do is have a smooth transition of power, and protecting that is an existential matter for a democracy.
--JD
Highway

Post by Highway »

I've been wondering what can be done about a large part of the population and the electorate that believes, based entirely on the say so of interested parties, that there was "Fraud" or even "inconsistencies" in the administration of the election. People, who believe they are being the reasonable ones, are like "Well, there should be an investigation!" But investigate what? There's absolutely no evidence. If there were, it would be out there. They would be putting that in the lawsuits, not the weaksauce affidavits that they have been. And that people just don't believe or understand that every state has put significant effort into vetting its election results. Those are the investigations that they've been asking for. Who would they believe? Is there anyone? Or is it only Trump?
Well, that was a long walk down a windy beach to a cafe that was closed...
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

The Blues may take both Georgia Senate Seats

Last Updated: January 6, 12:29:43AM ET
Georgia Senate Results Seat 1 »
98% of Expected Vote Reporting
Candidate Party Total Votes Pct.
D. Perdue* Rep. 2,189,562 50%
J. Ossoff Dem. 2,188,354 50%
*Incumbent
Georgia Senate Results Seat 2 »
98% of Expected Vote Reporting
Candidate Party Total Votes Pct.
R. Warnock Dem. 2,206,858 50%
K. Loeffler* Rep. 2,171,156 50%

Most of the outstanding votes to be counted are from heavily blue areas.

My first thought is: JFC, I am glad McConnell loses Senate Majority Leader
Second thought: I wonder how long McConnell can spin out the certification of Ossoff and Warnock in order to maintain his control?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I am very glad to be living in Dekalb county right now. That's the one trending on Twitter, because it's ultra-blue, ultra-populated and had a buttload of uncounted votes remaining. I hope the Dems do take the Senate, because the GOP needs and deserves a good hard smackdown after all it's done these past few years.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

As part of their continuing effort to prove that the left wing is the real threat to American democracy, angry right-wingers are literally storming the US capitol because they don't want Joe Biden declared winner of the election he won.

Highway

Post by Highway »

With Trump egging them on.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

The Secret Service had to evacuate Pence out of there because the president of the United States tried to sic a mob on him.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Apparently, Trump's also refusing to let the National Guard be deployed:

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I don't know what are the actual legal requirements for an outgoing POTUS to be charged with attempting a coup, but as a casual observer it sure as hell looks like that's what Trump is attempting.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

If I had said in 2016 that the Trump administration would end with angry MAGA mobs storming the Capitol while members of Congress don gas masks and the city goes under curfew, everyone would have said that I'm being hyperbolic and destroying my credibility.

And here we are.
--JD
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

thoreau wrote: 06 Jan 2021, 15:26 If I had said in 2016 that the Trump administration would end with angry MAGA mobs storming the Capitol while members of Congress don gas masks and the city goes under curfew, everyone would have said that I'm being hyperbolic and destroying my credibility.

And here we are.
To be fair, back then simply describing Trump as a narcissist was enough for that.
Highway

Post by Highway »

I'm completely on board with the people saying that Trump needs to be impeached for inciting this, immediately. Out of office now.