Whither the GOP? (post-Trump edition)

Hugh Akston

Re: Whither the GOP? (post-Trump edition)

Post by Hugh Akston »

This could also go in the insurrection thread, but I think this guy really speaks to the deep hole of delusion republicans are living in.
Also, Moynihan.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Shem wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 13:02
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 12:57 So let's say the Republican Party for whatever reason abandons or is abandoned by Trump in 2024. What does the gryll-mind think are the chances he'd take the path of least resistance and get the Libertarian Party nomination?
Almost zero. If somehow he did, the resulting party world do a major rebrand and become the MAGA party or something like that.
You must have missed a memo. Or the past four years.
Middle America is bestest America
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Number 6 wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 14:44
Shem wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 13:02
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 12:57 So let's say the Republican Party for whatever reason abandons or is abandoned by Trump in 2024. What does the gryll-mind think are the chances he'd take the path of least resistance and get the Libertarian Party nomination?
Almost zero. If somehow he did, the resulting party world do a major rebrand and become the MAGA party or something like that.
You must have missed a memo. Or the past four years.
Or the Barr/Root LP ticket. Or Arvin Vohra. Or ....
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Highway

Post by Highway »

Hugh Akston wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 13:33 This could also go in the insurrection thread, but I think this guy really speaks to the deep hole of delusion republicans are living in.
Also, Moynihan.
It's just all projection, fallacy, and as you say, delusion. "That's what Antifa does, it couldn't have been our side." "Democrats stole the election!" "We're good people, it was just a few people who did violence." "We couldn't have lost, there had to have been fraud." There's absolutely nothing that could convince this kind of person that there wasn't fraud. Who would he believe? He obviously doesn't believe the people who are actually tasked with figuring out whether there was fraud, because they did do those investigations and found that there wasn't any (just like there hasn't been any notable fraud for years). As someone said earlier: They've reasoned themselves into these beliefs with no evidence. There's no evidence that's going to reason them out of these beliefs.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Galt bless Moynihan for trying though. The guy kept blaming antifa for starting shit at the insurrection, and Moynihan pressed on there being no evidence, and he was just like "well I can't imagine those being actual republicans."
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I know I've said this abut Trump and various Trumpets many time, but it bears repeating: for all of Freud's theories that have rightfully been rejected, he was absolutely spot-on when he talked about projection.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Highway wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 14:58It's just all projection, fallacy, and as you say, delusion. "That's what Antifa does, it couldn't have been our side." "Democrats stole the election!" "We're good people, it was just a few people who did violence." "We couldn't have lost, there had to have been fraud." There's absolutely nothing that could convince this kind of person that there wasn't fraud.
Republicans like that actually agree with the woke left on one key point: They both believe that the hardline right is "The true face of America." If they really are authentically American, if they really are the true spirit of some Silent Majority, then how could they have lost? They must be a majority, or at least a majority in enough states to win the EC.

Likewise, if the woke left really believes (as they sometimes claim) that the hard right is the true spirit of this racist country, then how could the xenophobic Donald Trump lose to a ticket with Kamala Devi Harris? How could Barack Hussein Obama have won twice?

I think America is more complicated than that, but the hard right and woke left both believe that the hard right represents not just an authentically American strain of thought but the authentically American strain.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Well, if it happened, I'd never call myself a libertarian again.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Eric the .5b wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 16:55 Well, if it happened, I'd never call myself a libertarian again.
I never outloud have described myself as a libertarian. It felt wrong because of all the nutso people in the party.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 18:08
Eric the .5b wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 16:55 Well, if it happened, I'd never call myself a libertarian again.
I never outloud have described myself as a libertarian. It felt wrong because of all the nutso people in the party.
*shrug*
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

The StL paper pushes Josh Hawley to put up or shut up on lawn odor
The American people came under attack on Jan. 6. The Republican president refused to protect them. The sole responsibility left to Hawley and his colleagues is to enforce the law and bring Trump to justice. Because any elected official who has law enforcement responsibility and won’t do it needs to resign.
Cocaine Mitch comes out against Marjorie Taylor Greene
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Monday blasted Georgia GOP Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene’s embrace of “loony lies and conspiracy theories” as a “cancer for the Republican Party.”
“Somebody who’s suggested that perhaps no airplane hit the Pentagon on 9/11, that horrifying school shootings were pre-staged, and that the Clintons crashed JFK Jr.’s airplane is not living in reality,” McConnell said in a statement first shared with The Hill. “This has nothing to do with the challenges facing American families or the robust debates on substance that can strengthen our party.”
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

The Arkansas Times published a lengthy, but good, read on "The future of the cult Trump created."
On Nov. 3, 2016, we answered, affirmatively, the question of whether a modern democratic republic like the United States could actually choose a psychopath as the head of the government, as Germany had in 1933 when it installed Adolf Hitler as chancellor.

On Jan. 6, we answered — negatively, one hopes — the second question, which is whether it would end as the German experiment with sociopathy did, with either a legal or a violent putsch. We must give some credit to Congress, Democrats and many Republicans alike, and to Mike Pence. They, unlike the German Reichstag, would not go along with a coup d’etat, and for their decision found themselves branded traitors and the targets of gunmen and a hangman’s noose.

Now, the big remaining question is whether the real treason that occurred at the national Capitol on Jan. 6 and the days leading up to it was just the magical fusion of all the resentment politics of our times — racial, ethnic, religious, economic, social — into one nearly apocalyptic event that ended like other cult movements have, in tragedy, catharsis or in merely exposing the dark side of humanity. Donald Trump may take his place alongside Jim Jones, David Koresh, Marshall Applewhite and other cult icons, although, unlike those men, Trump promised to march with his followers to their destiny but retreated into the White House instead to watch them on television.

Or, by embedding itself like a virus in the nation’s political tissue, is the collection of grievances that were embodied on the national mall Jan. 6 so enduring that it will continue to threaten democratic norms for a generation or beyond? The former, I think, but as this is written, three days before the inauguration, I’m not certain....
dhex

Post by dhex »

"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

The only part that sounds that makes it real for me is Flynn trying to bully and getting punked. The guys case was fascinating and one thing that always crept up when his past roles were brought up is that hes chickenshit when called on his bullshit.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 23:00
The only part that sounds that makes it real for me is Flynn trying to bully and getting punked. The guys case was fascinating and one thing that always crept up when his past roles were brought up is that hes chickenshit when called on his bullshit.
Every report I have ever seen of an Oval Office meeting during the Trump Presidency has sounded like a theatre of the absurd performance.

I wonder if the meetings were taped as many former presidents did?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Aresen wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 23:21
Every report I have ever seen of an Oval Office meeting during the Trump Presidency has sounded like a theatre of the absurd performance.

I wonder if the meetings were taped as many former presidents did?
I'd be astonished if Donald ever had a meeting with less than three cameras and a boom mic.
The opinions which are still persecuted strike the majority as so monstrous and immoral that the general principle of toleration cannot be held to apply to them. But this is exactly the same view as that which made possible the tortures of the Inquisition. - Bertrand Russell
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Lavrov, Kislyak, Veselnetskaya, and Manafort no doubt left a bunch of cameras and listening devices in his hangouts. So, yeah.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

60-70 Republican officials have left the party over Trump
These officials, some who served in the highest echelons of the Bush administration, said they had hoped that a Trump defeat would lead party leaders to move on from the former president and denounce his baseless claims that the November presidential election was stolen.

But with most Republican lawmakers sticking to Trump, these officials say they no longer recognize the party they served. Some have ended their membership, others are letting it lapse while a few are newly registered as independents, according to a dozen former Bush officials who spoke with Reuters.
The Republican National Committee referred Reuters to a recent interview its chair Ronna McDaniel gave to the Fox Business channel. “We’re having a little bit of a spat right now. But we are going to come together. We have to,” McDaniel said, predicting the party will unite against the agenda of President Joe Biden, a Democrat.
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Flynn was the general in charge of all military intelligence in Afghanistan while I was there, 10 years ago.

As you may have noticed, we haven’t won that war yet.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Kolohe wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 15:15
Flynn was the general in charge of all military intelligence in Afghanistan while I was there, 10 years ago.

As you may have noticed, we haven’t won that war yet.
Well we got a new CIC, so I'm sure that's going to change real soon.
The opinions which are still persecuted strike the majority as so monstrous and immoral that the general principle of toleration cannot be held to apply to them. But this is exactly the same view as that which made possible the tortures of the Inquisition. - Bertrand Russell
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

nicole

Post by nicole »

I am so confused about how other people can get worked up about conspiracy theory stuff when almost everyone believes in god and the afterlife and shit. Like who cares, I’m already operating under the assumption that most people are insane and/or idiots.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

nicole wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 11:54 I am so confused about how other people can get worked up about conspiracy theory stuff when almost everyone believes in god and the afterlife and shit. Like who cares, I’m already operating under the assumption that most people are insane and/or idiots.
The more people who believe in obviously insane things like god or democracy, the less insane they become. That's just how science works.
nicole

Post by nicole »

Hugh Akston wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 12:02
nicole wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 11:54 I am so confused about how other people can get worked up about conspiracy theory stuff when almost everyone believes in god and the afterlife and shit. Like who cares, I’m already operating under the assumption that most people are insane and/or idiots.
The more people who believe in obviously insane things like god or democracy, the less insane they become. That's just how science works.
Whereas knowing that is what makes us crazy.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I dont believe in that nonsense. I demand acceptance, acknowledgement and respect.