OFFS: The Forsakening

Ellie

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Ellie »

dhex wrote: 21 Sep 2010, 10:48 finding non-smiling medical stock photos is a difficult task, but i can't help but feel they've gone from "serious" to "fetish site" with this one:

http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo- ... -model.php
I came across this one today and it made me wonder how many stock photos are out there that kind of tip over into revealing somebody's fetish.

https://www.pexels.com/photo/black-man- ... d-5273573/
Like baptists at the glory hole

"oh dear" they mutter, unzipping their pants

-dhex
dhex

Post by dhex »

Artsy only fans
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Trump administration shuts down Chinese cultural exchange programs, calls them 'soft power propaganda tools'
The Trump administration on Friday announced that it has ended five cultural exchange programs with China that it claims are “propaganda tools.”

The State Department said the nixed programs are the Policymakers Educational China Trip Program, the U.S.-China Friendship Program, the U.S.-China Leadership Exchange Program, the U.S.-China Transpacific Exchange Program and the Hong Kong Educational and Cultural Program.

The programs allowed government employees to travel using funding from foreign governments.

“While other programs funded under the auspices of the [Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act] are mutually beneficial, the five programs in question are fully funded and operated by the PRC government as soft power propaganda tools,” the statement said. “They provide carefully curated access to Chinese Communist Party officials, not to the Chinese people, who do not enjoy freedoms of speech and assembly.”

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the U.S. welcomes cultural programs that are “reciprocal and fair,” but “one-way programs such as these are not mutually beneficial.”

The Trump administration has taken a hardline approach toward China, pushing back on its incursions into human rights against religious minorities and in Hong Kong, as well as tackling privacy concerns related to Chinese technology in the U.S. It has shown no sign of slowing down on that approach in the last days of the administration.
It's easier to hate people if you ignore what is good about them.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

I mean, they probably are soft power propaganda tools, that’s what they always were with the Soviets, but the answer is to beat them at that game.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

There's value for both countries in having people know each other. It helps both sides find less messy solutions to problems. Yes, the other side benefits, but so fucking what?
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Kolohe wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 21:54 I mean, they probably are soft power propaganda tools, that’s what they always were with the Soviets, but the answer is to beat them at that game.
Exactly. One of the fun little sidebars of watching excellent Soviet ensembles was playing 'spot the KGB agent.'

(I do recall one surreal moment during the performance of a Russian choir when the all-white choir sang "When the Saints go Marching In".)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

thoreau wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 22:04 There's value for both countries in having people know each other. It helps both sides find less messy solutions to problems. Yes, the other side benefits, but so fucking what?
That's not how Trump understands trade. He doesn't understand that trade is supposed to be mutually beneficial; he thinks it's a zero sum, winner take all game and we're always supposed to win.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 01:22
thoreau wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 22:04 There's value for both countries in having people know each other. It helps both sides find less messy solutions to problems. Yes, the other side benefits, but so fucking what?
That's not how Trump understands trade. He doesn't understand that trade is supposed to be mutually beneficial; he thinks it's a zero sum, winner take all game and we're always supposed to win.
Since his business deals frequently involve him losing money because he's stupid and the other guy losing money for being stupid enough to do business with him, I suppose that a scenario with one winner would be a step up.
--JD
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 01:22
A large majority of people think that way. Whether it's 'they took our jerbs' or 'Jeff Bezos got rich by ripping off people', both left and right think trade is zero sum. An anti-globalization screed is as likely to be written by Peter Navarro as Robert Reich.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Kolohe wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 21:54 I mean, they probably are soft power propaganda tools, that’s what they always were with the Soviets, but the answer is to beat them at that game.
Apropos of nothing, I always smile at Isaac Stern's quote that cultural diplomacy was a simple matter: ‘They send us their Jews from Odessa, and we send them our Jews from Odessa.’
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

OFFS:

The COVID-19 Stimulus Bill Would Make Illegal Streaming a Felony
Providing relief via direct assistance and loans to struggling individuals and businesses hit hard by COVID-19 has been a priority for federal lawmakers this past month. But a gigantic spending bill has also become the opportunity to smuggle in some other line items including those of special interest to the entertainment community.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

dead_elvis wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 16:53 OFFS:

The COVID-19 Stimulus Bill Would Make Illegal Streaming a Felony
Providing relief via direct assistance and loans to struggling individuals and businesses hit hard by COVID-19 has been a priority for federal lawmakers this past month. But a gigantic spending bill has also become the opportunity to smuggle in some other line items including those of special interest to the entertainment community.
No funding for the perverted arts?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
JD

Post by JD »

Representative Ro Khanna takes a bold stance against Snidely Whiplash.
"We need more regulation and equality in the markets. Instead of investing in future technologies to help America win the 21st Century, Wall Street poured billions into shorting this stock to crush this company and put workers out of business."

Was he born that stupid or did he have to work at it, I wonder.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JD wrote: 28 Jan 2021, 16:59 Representative Ro Khanna takes a bold stance against Snidely Whiplash.
"We need more regulation and equality in the markets. Instead of investing in future technologies to help America win the 21st Century, Wall Street poured billions into shorting this stock to crush this company and put workers out of business."

Was he born that stupid or did he have to work at it, I wonder.
Never attribute to industry that which may be explained by just being an unthinking spaz.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/face ... 0220AB1084
55.8. (a) A retail department store that offers childcare items for sale shall maintain one undivided area of its sales floor where the majority of the childcare items being offered shall be displayed, regardless of whether a particular childcare item has been traditionally marketed for either girls or for boys.
(b) A retail department store that offers children’s clothing for sale shall maintain one undivided area of its sales floor where the majority of the children’s clothing being offered shall be displayed, regardless of whether a particular article of children’s clothing has been traditionally marketed for either girls or for boys.
(c) A retail department store that offers toys for sale shall maintain one undivided area of its sales floor where the majority of the toys being offered shall be displayed, regardless of whether a particular toy has been traditionally marketed for either girls or for boys.
(d) Nothing in this section shall be construed to constrain how a retailer promotes, displays, or presents a particular item within each undivided area of its sales floor where either childcare items, children’s clothing, or toys are being offered for sale. However, no signage shall be used within any undivided area where either childcare items, children’s clothing, or toys are offered for sale indicating the items are for either girls or for boys.
(e) A retail department store that displays for sale a childcare item, an article of children’s clothing, a toy, or anything that could be considered a combination thereof, in an area of its sales floor outside of the undivided areas where the majority of childcare items, children’s clothing, or toys are displayed for sale, as described in subdivisions (a), (b), and (c), shall not use any signage with respect to the item, article, or toy that indicates that it is either for girls or for boys.
I don't have a problem with gender-neutral toy marketing. But children's clothing? Yeah, good luck with that.
--JD
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Is there any problem that California can't solve with legislation?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Hugh Akston wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 13:44 Is there any problem that California can't solve with legislation?
Some problems require citizens' initiatives.
--JD
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

thoreau wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 13:50
Hugh Akston wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 13:44 Is there any problem that California can't solve with legislation?
Unfortunately, the citizens in question are Californians.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

This bill was submitted before and failed. Do we have any evidence that it's not just a "so they can mention it to their supporters" kabuki play that will go down just as hard?

I ask, because I follow a different board where people used to be consumed in paroxysms of rage about every no-hoper bill some Team Red state legislator submitted.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

There doesn't seem to be any underwear exemption to the "no gendering clothes" proposal.

Of course, the twit who sponsored this probably thinks it's transphobic to say Y-front underpants are for "boys" rather than "penis-havers of any gender."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 14:33
thoreau wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 13:50
Unfortunately, the citizens in question are Californians.
But they all get such good educat...oh, right.
--JD
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Honestly, on reflection, if the net effect of such a law was that a department store simply stopped separating boys' and girls' clothing into two different store locations and stopped identifying clothing items as specifically for boys or girls, I don't see the big deal. That's not to say I think the state has or should have the power to legislate such a thing; to be clear, it shouldn't.

It does raise the question, though, why such mandates should apply only to children's clothing. Yeah, I get that the state is trying to reduce traditional sexual / gender stereotypes in children, but wouldn't the same argument apply at least to some extent to adult clothing?
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 13:19 Honestly, on reflection, if the net effect of such a law was that a department store simply stopped separating boys' and girls' clothing into two different store locations and stopped identifying clothing items as specifically for boys or girls, I don't see the big deal. That's not to say I think the state has or should have the power to legislate such a thing; to be clear, it shouldn't.
Well, the closer kids get to puberty, the more differentiated their shapes become. Yeah, some kids don't change until late, others early, but the point is that there's a very practical issue here, at least for many older kids. Ban the gender label and the marketers will label the jeans for female figures with pink letters and "girly" fonts.

Also, I largely sympathize with the goal. I like Meghan Daum's observation on how undifferentiated most kids' clothing was in the 1970's and how much less neurotic Gen X was/is about gender compared with millennials. I would love to see a future where more kids wore simpler, less adorned clothes for many situations.

At the same time, even beyond libertarian decoder ring stuff about telling businesses how to label stuff, I think it's very much an open question whether marketers lead or follow the culture here. (Surely both, in various ways.) That matters for whether this social engineering attempt has a snowball's chance in hell of coming even vaguely close to achieving its goals. And I think legislators should stay the hell away from that.

If anything, when you don't let them put the word "girl" or "boy" on the clothes it's more likely that the brands will double down on other forms of signaling.

I don't know how to break the immense gendering of clothing. There's some real nature here (clothes have to fit physical bodies), a ton of nurture, probably a bit of nature combining with nurture in the brain (not an innate preference for pink or blue but an intense instinct to emulate one half of the species and contrast with the other), and a bunch of mystery. And none of this is something that the CA Legislature can hope to fix.
--JD
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

thoreau wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 13:42.Also, I largely sympathize with the goal. I like Meghan Daum's observation on how undifferentiated most kids' clothing was in the 1970's and how much less neurotic Gen X was/is about gender compared with millennials.
I'm not sure how that works.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
dhex

Post by dhex »

Certainly less granular.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God