Worthwhile April Fools Day joke

Eric the .5b

Re: Worthwhile April Fools Day joke

Post by Eric the .5b »

lunchstealer wrote:This one isn't particularly clever, but since it's taking my great-grandfather's invention into the air, I'll post it here.

http://blog.virgin-atlantic.com/t5/Our- ... /ba-p/6096
That's one of those gags that disappoints me a bit to realize it's just a joke, because that sounds fucking cool. Though I may be overestimating my bravery, there.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Your great-granddad invented the watery version? Seriously, or another AFD comment?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly »

Eric the .5b wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:This one isn't particularly clever, but since it's taking my great-grandfather's invention into the air, I'll post it here.

http://blog.virgin-atlantic.com/t5/Our- ... /ba-p/6096
That's one of those gags that disappoints me a bit to realize it's just a joke, because that sounds fucking cool. Though I may be overestimating my bravery, there.
Oh, that would be so cool!

Note: I am not very comfortable with heights. In particular, I do not like to be at the edge or the pinnacle of something high. But for some reason, this moderate fear does not usually apply to airplanes. Probably because I trust them.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Jennifer wrote:Your great-granddad invented the watery version? Seriously, or another AFD comment?
He's one of a few people credited with the invention, although his claim is one of the more commonly accepted. We've got a copper pressing of the supposed prototype. He invented it to improve his luck at fishing in his favorite fishing hole, which is now the tourist attraction Silver Springs, near Ocala, FL. Apparently he was offered the chance to buy it for some relatively small amount of money, plus one mule, but my great-grandmother wouldn't part with the mule.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Eric the .5b wrote:Youtube's gags are good. As are Google's in general.

Google's best gag still remains Gmail, announced on an April 1, not actually being a joke. One gig of free storage? Come on.
Agreed. I still remember the Gmail one. That was fucking awesome.

I got a giggle out of the Twitter/Twttr thing this year, for whatever reason.
Like baptists at the glory hole

"oh dear" they mutter, unzipping their pants

-dhex
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Ellie wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:Youtube's gags are good. As are Google's in general.

Google's best gag still remains Gmail, announced on an April 1, not actually being a joke. One gig of free storage? Come on.
Agreed. I still remember the Gmail one. That was fucking awesome.

I got a giggle out of the Twitter/Twttr thing this year, for whatever reason.
Netflix putting the "New Episodes!" sign on Firefly (and some other, even older shows) was cute.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

And apparently there was a DOD release to the effect that the Pentagon is looking into a new, Ellie-friendly source for MPs.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I love Grumpy Cat SO MUCH.

-dhex
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I haven't actually come across many April Fool's Day jokes/pranks today. Anybody see any good ones? (Or amusingly bad ones?)

-dhex
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Ellie wrote:I haven't actually come across many April Fool's Day jokes/pranks today. Anybody see any good ones? (Or amusingly bad ones?)
This was pretty amusing.
Mo

Post by Mo »

This was amusing to me, but would not be funny to anyone not in the payments business.

I liked the Google Maps Pokemon.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Mo wrote:This was amusing to me, but would not be funny to anyone not in the payments business.

I liked the Google Maps Pokemon.
I ended up with just over 25. There are a shitload in Sydney.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

I liked Fark's return to 2004 today.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

The local fishwrap, the Times-Colonist, had a front-page story that the University of Victoria was changing its name to University of Saanich-Oak Bay, ostensibly because the University is located on the boundary of those two communities.

The joke, of course, was that the nickname of the university would now be USOB.

Hier
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Bryn Mawr decides to drop vowels.

The grade inflation comment was great.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Mo

Post by Mo »

thoreau wrote:Bryn Mawr decides to drop vowels.

The grade inflation comment was great.
"If you are feeling confused by Brn Mwr's actions, consider today's date."

OFFS
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

You have never been to a faculty meeting. At least one dumbfuck would start firing off letters of protest while another would insist that we just need to give the Dean a blw-jb, and a couple idiots would ponder if q is basically a vowel because it is always followed by u. Meanwhile, the Polynesian Student Association would protest their loss of identity and the IIAA in LGBTQQIIAA would demand that the LGBTQQ people need to step up as allies to protest the erasure of their identity.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Mo

Post by Mo »

It's April Fools' Day in the internet era, if you need a reminder of that you're way, way, way up your own ass. If the payments industry blog can fire off a half dozen jokes, I think academics can stand a couple without having to have it explain. I'm not a Warrenite in general, but geez.

Highway

Post by Highway »

I'm the guy who thinks that there's no such thing as the thread title, just like there's no good halloween.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Warren

Post by Warren »

Highway wrote:I'm the guy who thinks that there's no such thing as the thread title, just like there's no good halloween.
[youtube]P5iqYuFmzqg[/youtube]
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I realized a short bit ago that my favorite April Fool's joke is this short movie that was meant to air 37 years ago tonight:

[youtube]gmNFzBVKqyE[/youtube]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_3
Taktix®

Post by Taktix® »

"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie
GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger »

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Jennifer wrote:I dunno, I just never found amusing the subgenre of humor called "Let's tell stupid lies and see if anyone falls for them." (Although someone who gets off on semantic quibbling could say that's what satire is, but I'd say otherwise: Jonathan Swift never intended people to take his modest proposal seriously.)
Many years ago, I devoted one of my columns in the college newspaper to a satire of something or other. I've blocked the article itself from memory, probably because it was undergrad-awful. But I remember the headline: "A Modest Proposal to be Read Swiftly."

I still got comments from people who didn't catch that it was satire. College students who didn't catch that it was satire.
Middle America is bestest America
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Number 6 wrote:
Jennifer wrote:I dunno, I just never found amusing the subgenre of humor called "Let's tell stupid lies and see if anyone falls for them." (Although someone who gets off on semantic quibbling could say that's what satire is, but I'd say otherwise: Jonathan Swift never intended people to take his modest proposal seriously.)
Many years ago, I devoted one of my columns in the college newspaper to a satire of something or other. I've blocked the article itself from memory, probably because it was undergrad-awful. But I remember the headline: "A Modest Proposal to be Read Swiftly."

I still got comments from people who didn't catch that it was satire. College students who didn't catch that it was satire.
The only surprise is that you find that surprising. There is no joke that someone will not take seriously or find an excuse to rant about.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex