Mo

Worthwhile April Fools Day joke

Post by Mo »

http://haiku.nytimes.com/

I liked this one:
But be sure to dust
it with coarse sea salt to make
it extra-trendy.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Highway

Re: Worthwhile April Fools Day joke

Post by Highway »

I am not a very April Fool's Day kind of person. So there are no worthwhile April Fools Day jokes. It's like 'Spring Halloween' as far as I'm concerned.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Highway wrote:I am not a very April Fool's Day kind of person. So there are no worthwhile April Fools Day jokes. It's like 'Spring Halloween' as far as I'm concerned.
I'm particularly annoyed by the "Bullshit announcements/news" subgenre. So far, on my Facebook feed alone: the guy who heads one of the anti-police-brutality groups is going to join the LAPD SWAT team ahahahahaha! The guy in charge of one of the anti-TSA groups is joining the TSA eeheeheeheeheehee! The Supreme Court ruled that checkpoints are unconstitutional ohohohohoho! Funny! FUN-KNEE!

No, really, it's not.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Youtube's gags are good. As are Google's in general.

Google's best gag still remains Gmail, announced on an April 1, not actually being a joke. One gig of free storage? Come on.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I dunno, I just never found amusing the subgenre of humor called "Let's tell stupid lies and see if anyone falls for them." (Although someone who gets off on semantic quibbling could say that's what satire is, but I'd say otherwise: Jonathan Swift never intended people to take his modest proposal seriously.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Feh. This is hilarious:

[youtube]H542nLTTbu0[/youtube]

As is:

[youtube]Y_UmWdcTrrc[/youtube]
Mo

Post by Mo »

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian »

When I was in Afghanistan my wife put my car up for sale on Craigslist and gave my Skype telephone number out in the advert.

It was hilarious.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

See, I'd consider that "YouTube on DVD" bit to be a parody rather than a "lie": make what's basically a standard "As Seen on TV" infomercial for something which is spectacularly, obviously unsuited for it. That's different from "Feh, this free service we offer isn't making us as much money as we'd like, so we're going to shut it down."

Remember the description of my bad vanity authors' writing as "What stupid people think smart people sound like?" The majority of April Fool's jokes I've seen strike me as "What people without the ability to write/create funny stuff think is funny."
tr0g

Post by tr0g »

Jennifer wrote:See, I'd consider that "YouTube on DVD" bit to be a parody rather than a "lie": make what's basically a standard "As Seen on TV" infomercial for something which is spectacularly, obviously unsuited for it. That's different from "Feh, this free service we offer isn't making us as much money as we'd like, so we're going to shut it down."

Remember the description of my bad vanity authors' writing as "What stupid people think smart people sound like?" The majority of April Fool's jokes I've seen strike me as "What people without the ability to write/create funny stuff think is funny."
Oh, so it's Will Ferrel?
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jennifer wrote:See, I'd consider that "YouTube on DVD" bit to be a parody rather than a "lie": make what's basically a standard "As Seen on TV" infomercial for something which is spectacularly, obviously unsuited for it. That's different from "Feh, this free service we offer isn't making us as much money as we'd like, so we're going to shut it down."
"...And have thousands of people work for a decade to pick the winner" doesn't fit Google's normal shutdown style. :)

I get what uou mean about the people who can't do good humor trying to, but we might as well condemn comedy itself for the same thing.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

tr0g wrote:

Oh, so it's Will Ferrel?
Heh.

Just to clarify: I'm not going on some anti-AFD crusade, I'm not posting complaints or "This is stupid" comments on the Facebook AFD "jokes" I'm seeing; I'm just saying I personally find most of them stupid and un-funny. Oooh, whoopee, you're capable of posting an untruth and/or playing a prank on somebody without their knowledge. Gee, why didn't the likes of Mark Twain and Oscar Wilde just do that rather than waste time on actual wit? "I'm gonna take out a personal ad in your name even though -- chuckle snort -- you're happily married and not looking for a date! BWA HA HA I am such a comic genius! 'Cuz wasting your time and that of the people who respond to the ad is fun-nee, or at least as close to it as I personally can manage."
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

I'm working today, 4-1. I must resist the temptation to hook someone up to the cardiac monitor, look at it for several moments, then ask the patient if there's anyone they'd like to call and say good-bye too. Or just hook it up and yell, "HOLY SHIT, HOW ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?!"

'Cause that would be wrong. Funny, but Wrong.
Middle America is bestest America
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

[youtube]Tc_iT1bSrJM[/youtube]
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Jennifer: Not that I think I'm disagreeing with you, but I think you're really just noticing Sturgeon's Law. It's not that the genre of April Fool's Day pranks is inherently bad, it's that it encourages a lot of people with really bad senses of humor to try to do parody and satire. And parody and satire are hard.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Jadagul wrote:Jennifer: Not that I think I'm disagreeing with you, but I think you're really just noticing Sturgeon's Law. It's not that the genre of April Fool's Day pranks is inherently bad, it's that it encourages a lot of people with really bad senses of humor to try to do parody and satire. And parody and satire are hard.
Partially, but also partially because, as I mentioned already, I personally just don't care for that alleged form of "humor." The "tell a lie and then say April Fool!" is merely boring. Actual "pranks" are worse. Like the sample "prank" I mentioned before -- taking out a personal ad for a happily married person -- I don't find that funny at all. I'd go so far as to call it a shitty thing to do. Even if the married guy in question says "Haha, you got me!" there's still all the people who answered the ad in good faith and had their time wanted.

The problem with pranks is that they involve other people without their knowledge or consent, and anyone who brags about pulling a fake-personal-ad prank or similar nonsense is basically admitting "Yeah, I'm completely thoughtless where other people are concerned, gladly willing to waste their time for my own shitty amusement; I am not capable of being genuinely funny or witty, so I'll just treat other people thoughtlessly and then pat myself on the back for it."
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

BMW has done some good ones over the years. The counterfeit BMW's from the far east (recognizable from the quadrant colours on the badge) one in particular.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.
dhex

Post by dhex »

if google had any balls they would have done something on google reader.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dhex wrote:if google had any balls they would have done something on google reader.
YES!
dhex

Post by dhex »

the death threats would have been amazing.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

On a related angle, Fast Company notes "How the Internet is Ruining April Fools Day."

http://www.fastcompany.com/3007685/crea ... -fools-day
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dhex wrote:the death threats would have been amazing.
The STEM academics' jihad.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

This one isn't particularly clever, but since it's taking my great-grandfather's invention into the air, I'll post it here.

http://blog.virgin-atlantic.com/t5/Our- ... /ba-p/6096
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

dhex wrote:if google had any balls they would have done something on google reader.
Their jokes aren't really meant to be ballsy.

Though a gag about how Google Search just doesn't get much use compared to their core services and is being sunsetted would be pretty funny.