Observations of the Random sort

dhex

Re: Observations of the Random sort

Post by dhex »

It would s a testimony to trumps general awfulness that Biden's impression of late term Reagan at his press conference went unremarked in the msm.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
JD

Post by JD »

dhex wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 08:16 It would s a testimony to trumps general awfulness that Biden's impression of late term Reagan at his press conference went unremarked in the msm.
I would swear that one of the NY tabloids had something about it on the front page, but I can't find it now, so maybe I imagined it.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
dhex

Post by dhex »

The post did.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/25/biden-lie ... t-goodwin/

Goodwin is... Whatever the hell that is.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Shem

Post by Shem »

Nor did anyone ask him why he read from prepared talking points during answers to three questions on foreign policy. No recent president has felt the need to do that.
I'm pretty sure "consulting his notes" is actually a pretty normal thing to do, though after four years of "just make up whatever bullshit you feel like," maybe my memory is failing.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Warren

Post by Warren »

Shem wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 18:20
Nor did anyone ask him why he read from prepared talking points during answers to three questions on foreign policy. No recent president has felt the need to do that.
I'm pretty sure "consulting his notes" is actually a pretty normal thing to do, though after four years of "just make up whatever bullshit you feel like," maybe my memory is failing.
Right? No recent president has felt the need to do that, and look how well that worked out. By all means please feel free to consult your note Mister President. Now, the content of those notes is another matter.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Biden's oratorical and/or mental failings aside, there's next to no need for presidential press conferences at all except in emergencies and I'd be just as happy if the tradition were abolished. The White House has a fully staffed press office with, prior to January 2017 and since January 2021, a prima facie plausible press secretary who gets paid to be badgered by the White House Press Corps. For that matter, it would please me greatly if the State of the Union was just emailed to Congress.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 20:59 Biden's oratorical and/or mental failings aside, there's next to no need for presidential press conferences at all except in emergencies and I'd be just as happy if the tradition were abolished. The White House has a fully staffed press office with, prior to January 2017 and since January 2021, a prima facie plausible press secretary who gets paid to be badgered by the White House Press Corps. For that matter, it would please me greatly if the State of the Union was just emailed to Congress.
Most Senators are too old for email and most voters are young enough to be terrible at it.

Tweet the thing out.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Warren

Post by Warren »

People talk about JFK's press conferences as though they were the Federalist Papers, but I Like Ike.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 22:38 People talk about JFK's press conferences as though they were the Federalist Papers, but I Like Ike.
And as Mort Sahl said of Ike's press conferences, they probably sounded better in the original German.
dhex

Post by dhex »

Warren wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 22:38 People talk about JFK's press conferences as though they were the Federalist Papers, but I Like Ike.
Jfk's appeal from a distance is baffling. He looked like a puffy goofball and he talked like a fucking idiot.

Then again compared to Nixon anyone would look amazing. Dude had a face for radio and a personality best suited for stealing women's underwear out of laundromat driers.
Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 01:10
And as Mort Sahl said of Ike's press conferences, they probably sounded better in the original German.
:roll:
dhex wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 07:32 ...a personality best suited for stealing women's underwear out of laundromat driers.
That's funny
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
lshap

Post by lshap »

dhex wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 07:32
Jfk's appeal from a distance is baffling. He looked like a puffy goofball and he talked like a fucking idiot.

Then again compared to Nixon anyone would look amazing. Dude had a face for radio and a personality best suited for stealing women's underwear out of laundromat driers.
In Panama City, Panama the museum has a clip of Nixon attempting to speak Spanish.

It's one of the most unpleasant and jarring things one could imagine.
-linguist
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 07:38
Context, Warren. The joke (which Sahl actually attributed to his wife) was over Eisenhower's convoluted public statements, a reference to the German language, not German politics. Whether intentionally or not, Ike spoke in compound, complex run-on sentences that were next to impossible to parse to figure out what he was saying. Which often was very little.
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Warren wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 22:38 but I Like Ike.
Apropos of nothing but the thread title, so did most of my family. In this cover photo my mom's sister is the woman in front in blue:
Eisenhower in Minneapolis.png
Eisenhower in Minneapolis.png (779.48 KiB) Viewed 778 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Very cool, Elvis!
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

lshap wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 10:00
dhex wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 07:32

In Panama City, Panama the museum has a clip of Nixon attempting to speak Spanish.

It's one of the most unpleasant and jarring things one could imagine.
Being old enough to remember Nixon more vividly than most here, I can assure you that the list of more imaginable unpleasant and jarring things Nixon attempting to do is very, very long.

Speaking of whom, here's a rare Nixon moment on the old Jack Paar show. I leave it for others do decide whether Rose Mary Woods erased the last part of the clip.

Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 12:24
Warren wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 07:38
Context, Warren. The joke (which Sahl actually attributed to his wife) was over Eisenhower's convoluted public statements, a reference to the German language, not German politics. Whether intentionally or not, Ike spoke in compound, complex run-on sentences that were next to impossible to parse to figure out what he was saying. Which often was very little.
Ah Thanks.
It's that ability to speak at length without saying anything that I admire. Political theater at its best.

ETA
IMO Nixon's prowess with his instrument was better than Clinton's.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
lshap

Post by lshap »

I didn't know he played piano*. And he's really not bad. Rather hear him play than speak Spanish, that's for sure.

*And if I'm honest, I like him better for it.
-linguist
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 13:21
ETA
IMO Nixon's prowess with his instrument was better than Clinton's.

161577867_10164796464275655_6258152202753875497_o.jpg
161577867_10164796464275655_6258152202753875497_o.jpg (67.8 KiB) Viewed 727 times
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Well we can stop worrying about covid, as the grey goo sliming of the planet is only a step or two away:

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists ... s-normally
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

dead_elvis wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 13:15 Well we can stop worrying about covid, as the grey goo sliming of the planet is only a step or two away:

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists ... s-normally
Fools. The answer to the grey goo scenario is nanites that eat nanites. Now where is my nobel?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I'm fascinated by random nitwits tsking about how nobody but them sees what the Seuz blockage shows about modern capitalism and global trade.

I suppose they really think ours is the first civilization that can be inconvenienced by a disruption to its systems.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Eric the .5b wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 21:59 I'm fascinated by random nitwits tsking about how nobody but them sees what the Seuz blockage shows about modern capitalism and global trade.

I suppose they really think ours is the first civilization that can be inconvenienced by a disruption to its systems.
Don't you understand that civilizations with (checks notes) slower land and sea travel and no air travel had a much easier time routing around obstacles to the movement of goods?
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Plus the northwest passage will be available soon enough anyway.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

In more depressing thoughts, I see people talking about atrocities in Myanmar and western China, and what hits me is the question what do they think anyone's going to do about it?

It's not even the distraction question of interventionism vs. non-interventionism. Our massively interventionist West isn't going to stop what's happening in Myanmar. It sure as Hell isn't going to do anything about China's camps. People will end up counting it as a victory if someone merely brings up one of these things up in front of a dignitary from the appropriate country.

Meanwhile, horrors abound, and I feel like I should look, but I also feel like I'm being dishonestly guilted into looking. It feels like a sick pretense. At least with domestic awfulness, awareness and information can sometimes lead to shifts in mass opinion and policies, at least over time. It won't change national interests.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.