Observations of the Random sort

dhex

Re: Observations of the Random sort

Post by dhex »

Most of the media, which at this point is run by Twitter.

Regardless if you can lash yourself to the mast for three days most wokeist efforts at, ugh, "canceling" are resistable on the institutional level. Just like if warriors for jeebus q came for your wifi, they are too incoherent to do much beyond death threats - which while upsetting are hot air.

What people should be upset about is rampant illiberalism - like letting some app developer cunt have an opinion on journalism via slack within the ny times - but most of the public figures waving flags about canceling are are illiberal scum who wouldn't recognize values if it fucked them in the ass.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

My disdain is for institutional responses that treat nonsense as serious because someone on twitter might get mad at them. I think people engaging in the behavior are worthy of scorn but people acting like they have some kind of point are worse. Go to twitter saying op ed made you unsafe. Get called to boss office. He stands up and laughs in your face for 20 minutes. You get fired and become an unemployable hobo forever. That's what a just world looks like. I think we can get there if we just had a hair more courage.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Also why UBI regardless of costs and incentives is immoral in some degree. Forever hobo guy can't get a cent. Barrel fires.
Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 09:23 My disdain is for institutional responses that treat nonsense as serious because someone on twitter might get mad at them. I think people engaging in the behavior are worthy of scorn but people acting like they have some kind of point are worse. Go to twitter saying op ed made you unsafe. Get called to boss office. He stands up and laughs in your face for 20 minutes. You get fired and become an unemployable hobo forever. That's what a just world looks like. I think we can get there if we just had a hair more courage.
Christ in lady's underwear Jason. I was totally with you up till this. Getting fired for posting something stupid on twitter is not what a just world looks like. It's the opposite of that.
The opinions which are still persecuted strike the majority as so monstrous and immoral that the general principle of toleration cannot be held to apply to them. But this is exactly the same view as that which made possible the tortures of the Inquisition. - Bertrand Russell
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Warren wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 11:28
JasonL wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 09:23 My disdain is for institutional responses that treat nonsense as serious because someone on twitter might get mad at them. I think people engaging in the behavior are worthy of scorn but people acting like they have some kind of point are worse. Go to twitter saying op ed made you unsafe. Get called to boss office. He stands up and laughs in your face for 20 minutes. You get fired and become an unemployable hobo forever. That's what a just world looks like. I think we can get there if we just had a hair more courage.
Christ in lady's underwear Jason. I was totally with you up till this. Getting fired for posting something stupid on twitter is not what a just world looks like. It's the opposite of that.
If what you are saying is "my boss threatened my life by publishing things", you are setting out a couple of things. 1) Nothing that happens in the way of a dispute in house will ever stay in house if you employ this person; 2) this person will again at some point lie about being physically endangered if they simply disagree with policy; 3) this person believes that the best approach to solve problem is ... this. I'm not saying actual meth fiends are more employable by someone who actually gives a shit about the thing they are trying to do in a work place, but it's closer than is commonly appreciated. Plus hobo fires with hand warming zoomer dumbasses who went around making up this kind of nonsense to exert control over allowable discussion would have a strong pro social effect over the long run. We could do tours.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I have this vision of telescopes being used for barrel fires...

Jason, you and I have disagreed on many things over the years, but on this issue I agree with you about as much as I could possibly agree with anyone. I want the Astronomy Pipeline to be a storm sewer that empties into a river bed where astronomers huddle around fires lit in barrels that used to be telescopes. I want the Safe Space to be an old tarp stretched over a few crates. I want N-body problems to involve unemployed astronomers huddling to get maximum benefit from body heat.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Shem wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 21:27
thoreau wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 14:57 Plus, regardless of who cancels more or has more power, the left cultural flank at least has enough institutional foothold to make the Che shirts rather ironic. Maybe they run the institutions, maybe they just barely hold on, but whoever the real victim is, neither side is all that outsider.
I don't understand this point. I mean, they're ironic because someone got the idiot wearing it to shell out $20 for a shirt that cost $2 to make and ship, with an image of a communist on it, made by a prole in a third world factory working under conditions that any communist would find hideously exploitative. It's actually fractally ironic, when you think about it. But, not sure what it has to do with institutional power.
Because if there is one thing you've got to give every communist regime in the 20th century credit for, it's good working conditions.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Trading Places is one of the greatest Christmas movies ever made. Change my mind.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 15:28 Trading Places is one of the greatest Christmas movies ever made. Change my mind.
Trading Places is an Easter Movie. Note the theme of death and resurrection.
The opinions which are still persecuted strike the majority as so monstrous and immoral that the general principle of toleration cannot be held to apply to them. But this is exactly the same view as that which made possible the tortures of the Inquisition. - Bertrand Russell
dhex

Post by dhex »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 15:28 Trading Places is one of the greatest Christmas movies ever made. Change my mind.
Better than die hard?
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

dhex wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 06:50Most of the media, which at this point is run by Twitter.

Regardless if you can lash yourself to the mast for three days most wokeist efforts at, ugh, "canceling" are resistable on the institutional level. Just like if warriors for jeebus q came for your wifi, they are too incoherent to do much beyond death threats - which while upsetting are hot air.
And happen a lot more often than left-wing "cancelling" even in academia, given Thoreau lets us know every single time the latter even threatens to happen anywhere in the country.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

dhex wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 19:07
Better than die hard?
Better than Gremlins?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Better even than the noble undertaking that was Gremlins 2.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JasonL wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 09:25 Also why UBI regardless of costs and incentives is immoral in some degree. Forever hobo guy can't get a cent. Barrel fires.
Hmm. I started to object but then realized that you were talking about the specific forever hobo guy in the previous post, not unmedicated bipolar forever hobo guy, and since forever hobo guy can't get a cent barrel fires is my preferred disciplinary action for taking literally any job with or participating on a task force with the DEA I have to say I'd be willing to support your forever hobo reaction if you'll support mine.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 21:29 Better even than the noble undertaking that was Gremlins 2.
Gremlins was shit. Gremlins 2 was high art.

The finest Christmas movie is clearly Better Off Dead.

Trading Places, Ronin, Gremlins 2, and Die Hard are the only Christmas movies that come close.

Well, of long-form Christmas movies. How the Grinch Stole Christmas and A Charlie Brown Christmas are fundamentally short films, not feature films, and so are judged independently, and both shine brighter than the brightest star.

Still trying to figure out where Scrooged fits into this but it is so far outclassed by Groundhog Day that I can't justify placing it too highly even though it's actually a pretty good movie on its own.
Last edited by lunchstealer on 21 Dec 2020, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

thoreau wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 12:37 I have this vision of telescopes being used for barrel fires...

Jason, you and I have disagreed on many things over the years, but on this issue I agree with you about as much as I could possibly agree with anyone. I want the Astronomy Pipeline to be a storm sewer that empties into a river bed where astronomers huddle around fires lit in barrels that used to be telescopes. I want the Safe Space to be an old tarp stretched over a few crates. I want N-body problems to involve unemployed astronomers huddling to get maximum benefit from body heat.
So, a gentlemen's agreement, barrel fires forever for the DEA, astronomers, and op eds are violence journalists?

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

lunchstealer wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 19:42
thoreau wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 12:37 I have this vision of telescopes being used for barrel fires...

So, a gentlemen's agreement, barrel fires forever for the DEA, astronomers, and op eds are violence journalists?
Agreed!
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I third, it's a thing ... or something.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

It occurs to me that we would need a way to distinguish bipolar hobo guy from self inflicted hobo guy on the tours. I propose a scarlet twitter logo.
dhex

Post by dhex »

While it worked and looks great now, I don't recommend trying to wall mount a 55“ TV by yourself.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

dhex wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 10:12 While it worked and looks great now, I don't recommend trying to wall mount a 55“ TV by yourself.
Yeah it sucks. At least it's not plasma weight.
Highway

Post by Highway »

JasonL wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 10:15
dhex wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 10:12 While it worked and looks great now, I don't recommend trying to wall mount a 55“ TV by yourself.
Yeah it sucks. At least it's not plasma weight.
If it were, you probably wouldn't even try, and would get help much earlier. A 55" under 50 pounds is on the edge of that "Oh, I should be able to do this myself".
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
dhex

Post by dhex »

It's about 40lbs but it wasn't the weight so much as the size of the damn thing. This is my first TV over 32“ and I wasn't prepared for the sheer size of it. I got albatross arms but it was a stretch Har Har Har
Warren

Post by Warren »

dhex wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 11:47 It's about 40lbs but it wasn't the weight so much as the size of the damn thing. This is my first TV over 32“ and I wasn't prepared for the sheer size of it. I got albatross arms but it was a stretch Har Har Har
That reminds me. I need to figure out some sort of handles for our space heater. The space heater is four times as big and five times as heavy as it needs to be because it's not enough to heat the room, it also has to look like television with an anime fireplace.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

For about a month now I've been killing some time by assembling jigsaw puzzles, after learning that Dollar Tree stores regularly carry adult-level puzzles (in the 300-to-500 piece range). Currently I'm almost done with my fifth puzzle, which is also my second puzzle that is a reproduction of an Impressionistic-style* painting, and the third puzzle made by the Cra-Z-Art company. (*Impressionistic might not be the correct term to describe this style--everything is painted in teeny-tiny brush strokes rather than big ones. Like, if you're painting a wiggly line which is to become a leafy vine, you don't just paint "one wiggly line," but dozens or hundreds of tiny individual lines or smudges which LOOK like a single line from a distance, but the closer you get to it, the less it looks like anything.)

The two painting-puzzles I've done so far are from contemporary artists who presumably are having some financial success with their art, even if they're not famous -- the puzzle I'm working on now is from Nicky Boehme, and the one I finished before this was by Viktor Shvalko. I found websites run by both artists or their agents, where you could buy prints or original works, and also LOTS of results if you search online for either artist's name plus "puzzle." Presumably, the Cra-Z-Art company (whose primary business seems to be selling kids' art supplies, crayons and the like) has at least one employee whose job includes finding and licensing pieces of art to publish in jigsaw-puzzle form -- and also, painters like Boehme and Shvalko somehow figured out that could make some steady money doing images in a certain style likely to be bought by jigsaw-puzzle companies.

It so happens the jigsaw I'm currently working on (and almost done with), a 500-piece image of an idyllic Disneyfied Italian small-town marketplace, with cobblestone pavements, a bakery and flower shop, and so forth, is also the most difficult puzzle I've done so far, mainly because of the semi-impressionistic style ... take a painting that is, say, 30 inches by 23 inches, print it on a 18.25x11-inch piece of cardboard (all the Cra-Z-Art puzzles have those dimensions, regardless of how many pieces the picture is subsequently divided into), and the image reproduced on the outside of the puzzle box is only about 3x5 inches.

So, when studying that picture in hope of figuring out how to put the jigsaw pieces together -- a little 3x5-inch photo of a painting originally over ten times that size -- it is fiendishly difficult because (actual example) one building in that painting has a scenic stone turret with vines growing up its side. On the 3x5 image, those vines appear to be a pale-ish shade of green, but on the original painting -- and the puzzle pieces used to recreate that part of it -- that vine is actually green leaves plus lots of tiny yellow flowers. Meanwhile, the greenery which appears to be a slightly different shade of green is actually green leaves with blue flowers.

So I'm trying to put the puzzle together, sorting pieces which have matching colors or patterns, and when I find pieces that are predominantly blue with little specks of green here and there, naturally I figure they belong somewhere in the "visibly blue" parts of that picture -- blue shutters on the scenic stone buildings, or the blue awning one has, or the blue flowers visible amongst the bouquets stacked in front of the flower shop -- only after the puzzle is more than 90 percent done, including ALL the "visibly blue" parts of the painting, and the remaining pieces of the puzzle are put into place mainly by process of elimination, do I figure out that those blue pieces actually go in one of the "visibly green" part of the picture. Likewise, several pieces of the "green vine with yellow flowers" look mainly yellow, so I originally thought those would appear in the visibly-yellow parts of the image -- nope.

Now I kinda wonder -- regarding that Cra-Z-Art employee who acquires the art for the company's jigsaw-puzzle division -- are they specifically looking for impressionistic-style paintings with details that will be very challenging to recreate in jigsaw-puzzle form? "This Nicky Boehme's painting of an idealized Italian marketplace would make a very difficult 500-piece puzzle, what with all the green vines whose tiny colored flowers will be invisible in a 3x5 photo of the painting?" Or perhaps there are cases where the Cra-Z-Art company might actually commission a piece from the artist? "Say, Mr. or Ms. Boehme, we like your impressionistic-style images of charming little European villages. How about you paint an Italian marketplace featuring a flower shop AND flowering vines growing on almost every building?" Did artists like Boehme and Shvalko originally set out to do something different -- surreal or abstract or whatever works, and only went into impressionism after discovering the jigsaw-puzzle market was gaga for it? Is this the painters' equivalent of a steady freelance-writer gig? "No, I don't actually work for the Cra-Z-Art puzzle company, no employee benefits like health insurance, but I have an agreement to produce X paintings a year for them. I also provide occasional content for two other puzzle companies."

ETA: Just now, when I searched for the image of Nicky Boehme's "Bello Piazza" painting to link to it, I noticed that the puzzle company apparently deepened/bolded the colors in the painting before making a jigsaw out of it. Like, the pale-gray paving stones lining the red cobblestone street actually are blue in my puzzle (link goes to eBay listing -- not mine -- asking $8.49 for a puzzle you can get for $1 plus sales tax at your nearest Dollar Tree).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b