Observations of the Random sort

Jennifer

Re: Observations of the Random sort

Post by Jennifer »

If Ellie still wants a tramp stamp but doesn't feel mathematical enough to deserve a Mandelbrot, maybe she could compromise and get a tattoo of Charlie Chaplin? Possibly done as a postage stamp.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Shem

Post by Shem »

"Why do you have a Hitler tramp stamp?"
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Jennifer wrote: 21 Nov 2020, 21:53 If Ellie still wants a tramp stamp but doesn't feel mathematical enough to deserve a Mandelbrot, maybe she could compromise and get a tattoo of Charlie Chaplin? Possibly done as a postage stamp.
This is hilarious! I love this idea. I might actually do this someday.
Shem wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 05:33 "Why do you have a Hitler tramp stamp?"
On the other hand...
Like baptists at the glory hole

"oh dear" they mutter, unzipping their pants

-dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I'm torn between loving it and pedantically pointing out that it looks wrong to be centered like that.
Like baptists at the glory hole

"oh dear" they mutter, unzipping their pants

-dhex
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

It would be more funny if it was flipped.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I wonder if MAGA tattoo parlors are offering Trump Rumps.
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

If only Jingle Bells could always accompanied by a christmas tree lighting on fire

"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

dead_elvis wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 19:51 If only Jingle Bells could always accompanied by a christmas tree lighting on fire

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CTSSS
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

The War on Christmas has really escalated.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Warren

Post by Warren »

Well played
The opinions which are still persecuted strike the majority as so monstrous and immoral that the general principle of toleration cannot be held to apply to them. But this is exactly the same view as that which made possible the tortures of the Inquisition. - Bertrand Russell
Mo

Post by Mo »

Eric the .5b wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 13:04 As Trump impotently tweets "STOP THE COUNT!", I'm glad he's not a Prime Minister who might actually be able to make that happen.
This is a bit flip, but if he was a prime minister he wouldn’t be prime minister because he’d have a) never won in the first place and b) lost a vote of no confidence. The “parliamentary systems are worse because Trump would have more power” ignore the other checks parliamentary systems have to prevent a person like Trump from coming to power. They do have their weaknesses, but so does ours.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Mo wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 10:12
Eric the .5b wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 13:04 As Trump impotently tweets "STOP THE COUNT!", I'm glad he's not a Prime Minister who might actually be able to make that happen.
This is a bit flip, but if he was a prime minister he wouldn’t be prime minister because he’d have a) never won in the first place and b) lost a vote of no confidence. The “parliamentary systems are worse because Trump would have more power” ignore the other checks parliamentary systems have to prevent a person like Trump from coming to power. They do have their weaknesses, but so does ours.
It is a bit flip and pat. A parliamentary system might not put a particular politically inexperienced demagogue in charge (unless, you know, his party gets a majority and is afraid of him). It has absolutely no special magic against incompetents or autocrats getting in power. They just have to be able to rattle off some mangled Greek on TV.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Mo

Post by Mo »

Sure. But in the US all it would have taken to remove Trump would have been a no confidence vote and flipping two of McCain, Collins, Murkowski and Flake. You don’t need to flip the full party.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Mo wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 00:00 Sure. But in the US all it would have taken to remove Trump would have been a no confidence vote and flipping two of McCain, Collins, Murkowski and Flake. You don’t need to flip the full party.
Since every cabinet minister sees him/herself as a potential prime minister, any serious gaffe that threatens to take the party out of power brings the knives out.
Sir Humphrey Appleby wrote:It is necessary to get behind someone in order to stab them in the back.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Mo wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 00:00 Sure. But in the US all it would have taken to remove Trump would have been a no confidence vote and flipping two of McCain, Collins, Murkowski and Flake. You don’t need to flip the full party.
All it would have taken, but they couldn't even get that in the real world during the impeachment.

The support of Trumpkins could have easily cowed the party in a parliamentary system. Unless we want to go to the "but all the parties and people would be different in that system, anyway" route, but that that's just a cheap dodge to avoid comparisons.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Mo

Post by Mo »

I mean if you’re vote 51 in a 66 vote requirement you’re going to act differently than if you’re vote 51 in a 51 vote game. Parties act more ruthlessly for party leaders in parliamentary systems. The Tories had control for the entire period and had 3 different PMs over the course of Trump’s presidency. Without even saying different people, the incentives are different and you can throw a leader overboard and still keep control.

Mo

Post by Mo »

There are two things on this story about aliens that make it seem completely unbelievable.

https://www.jpost.com/omg/former-israel ... ady-651405

1) Trump is aware and kept it secret. Come the fuck on. That dude can’t keep anything fucking secret unless it implicates him in crimes.
2) The aliens are only in contact with the US and Israel. I could believe only being in contact with the US, but there is zero chance aliens are picking Israel as their #2 contact point. China, Russia, UK, France, Germany or India are all credible second contact countries, but Israel?

ETA: You could get me to believe Israel is on this very short list if you followed up with, “What we thought was Jehovah were actually aliens”

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Trump keeps quiet because he's laundering money for the aliens.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Mo wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 04:10 There are two things on this story about aliens that make it seem completely unbelievable.

https://www.jpost.com/omg/former-israel ... ady-651405

1) Trump is aware and kept it secret. Come the fuck on. That dude can’t keep anything fucking secret unless it implicates him in crimes.
2) The aliens are only in contact with the US and Israel. I could believe only being in contact with the US, but there is zero chance aliens are picking Israel as their #2 contact point. China, Russia, UK, France, Germany or India are all credible second contact countries, but Israel?

ETA: You could get me to believe Israel is on this very short list if you followed up with, “What we thought was Jehovah were actually aliens”
Did you check if the aliens still have their foreskins?

Warren

Post by Warren »

Mo wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 04:10 There are two things on this story about aliens that make it seem completely unbelievable.
We should use 'ETs' instead of 'aliens' to avoid the confusion with people crossing imaginary lines.

That this story is about ETs is enough to make it completely unbelievable.
The opinions which are still persecuted strike the majority as so monstrous and immoral that the general principle of toleration cannot be held to apply to them. But this is exactly the same view as that which made possible the tortures of the Inquisition. - Bertrand Russell
JD

Post by JD »

Technically, he doesn't say that they're only in contact with the US and Israel - it might be that those are the only two countries he knows to be in contact with the aliens. The only way I could see aliens picking just the US and Israel is if they landed in Israel. Why they would want to do that, I have no idea, and if you picked a random spot on Earth, even a random populated spot, it's highly unlikely to be Israel, since not even one-tenth of a percent of the world's land area is Israel.

#1 is completely accurate, though. (I can see the headlines now - "EXTRATERRESTRIALS ARE REAL - AND THEY HAVE THE DIRT ON TRUMP!")
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Shem

Post by Shem »

JD wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 12:08

Technically, he doesn't say that they're only in contact with the US and Israel - it might be that those are the only two countries he knows to be in contact with the aliens. The only way I could see aliens picking just the US and Israel is if they landed in Israel. Why they would want to do that, I have no idea, and if you picked a random spot on Earth, even a random populated spot, it's highly unlikely to be Israel, since not even one-tenth of a percent of the world's land area is Israel.

#1 is completely accurate, though. (I can see the headlines now - "EXTRATERRESTRIALS ARE REAL - AND THEY HAVE THE DIRT ON TRUMP!")
On the other hand, everyone else fights over that dust ball, so aliens planning there and making for even more fighting would be apropos.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

The Mormons are wrong; the aliens are the lost tribes of Israel. Neil Young is their prophet.
Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 14:12 The Mormons are wrong; the aliens are the lost tribes of Israel. Neil Young is their prophet.
Neil Young should remember, Space Jews don't need him around anyhow.