Infrastructure

D.A. Ridgely

Re: Infrastructure

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Ellie wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 15:08 Maybe I just eat a shit-ton of food but I've never walked to the grocery store if I could drive, even if it was just a couple blocks away. Either I'd be walking there every day or I'd be struggling to carry all my purchases back. I'm too lazy for either of those scenarios.
Back in the day when I was growing up, my mother didn't drive. She'd walk to the nearest grocery store, which was a roughly .5 - .75 mile walk , with a collapsible rolling grocery cart once or twice a week. On Fridays my father would drive her and me to a different grocery store and they'd bring four or five paper bags worth of groceries in the back seat. Thinking back on it, I can't imagine how a family of three could possibly need that many groceries, but somehow we did.
Mo

Post by Mo »

Jasper wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 13:20 So, like Celebration, FL, but designed by government.
I mean that’s basically Irvine, which was created by a private corporation.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
nicole

Post by nicole »

Ellie wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 15:08 Maybe I just eat a shit-ton of food but I've never walked to the grocery store if I could drive, even if it was just a couple blocks away. Either I'd be walking there every day or I'd be struggling to carry all my purchases back. I'm too lazy for either of those scenarios.
Yeah. One of us goes to the grocery store most days, which is not how I grew up, not how I did things when I lived alone, and not how I would do things if I were the one doing the cooking -- but I'm not. That said, I pretty much always had groceries delivered when I lived alone because I either didn't have a car, or wasn't guaranteed to be able to park it closer than the grocery store (which was only 1.5 blocks away).
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

My one 'trad lifestyle' thing is in fact going daily to the village market.

That is, if it were available & feasible.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

One of my favorite things about where I live is that I have both a Target and a supermarket a couple blocks away, so I basically only ever walk to the grocery store. (Unless I'm stopping for something while driving home from something else.)

I basically do live in a 20-minute neighborhood, though it might be 30 if I weren't a fast walker. Grocery stores are really close; about a mile away the nightlife district starts. And I have several friends within about a twenty minute walk (though many more who are definitely not.)

And honestly, if people want to make more communities be more like Pasadena but maybe a little denser, I'm all for it. I don't know if that's what these people actually want, though.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Highway wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 12:20 It's basically an anti-car, anti-sprawl idea. And even then it rather fails at capturing what they want, since places like my completely suburban neighborhood has "most of my everyday needs", except my job, within a 20 minute walk. Because honestly, all you need for everyday is a grocery store and a couple of restaurants. My job would be within a 20 minute bike ride. But even living in that kind of area, I'm still mostly going places by car.
Carrying groceries by bike or even a long distance by hand means that you're not buying for three or four days at a time. You're going every day - especially if you have a large family. At, say, 15 minutes one way, that's 30 minutes of your day just spent getting to the grocery store. If, like for me, your pharmacy is in the other direction or at least out of the way, that bumps some of those trips by 10 to 40 minutes.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I lived five very walkable blocks from my grocery store but most trips I bought too much to carry. And walking home 20 minutes with ice cream and other frozen foods in 100F heat would be problematic unless you carry your own insulated tote - probably two because you need to keep meat separated from other frozenables and refrigerables.

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Highway

Post by Highway »

New bike lane barrier on Golden Gate Bridge makes loud-as-heck noise on windy days. Cause there aren't any of those on San Francisco Bay.

Well, that was a long walk down a windy beach to a cafe that was closed...
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

The howling of cursed souls.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

If you slow it down you can hear the wailing is about rent.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

It's actually a lament for the Entwives.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Warren

Post by Warren »

They should tune different sections of the bridge to whistle different notes so that when you ride across it it plays a little tune. Something like Turkey in the Straw.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 14:00 They should tune different sections of the bridge to whistle different notes so that when you ride across it it plays a little tune. Something like Turkey in the Straw.
"I Left My Heart ..." or GTFO.
Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 14:11
Warren wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 14:00 They should tune different sections of the bridge to whistle different notes so that when you ride across it it plays a little tune. Something like Turkey in the Straw.
"I Left My Heart ..." or GTFO.
Good one *thumbs up emoji*
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

JasonL wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 11:00 If you slow it down you can hear the wailing is about rent.
Only when the wind is blowing out from the bay. When it's blowing in from the ocean the wailing is about new construction destroying the character of the neighborhood.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Highway

Post by Highway »

Agh I'm so triggered!

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I'm guessing they decided to open the road before putting the signage up? If you don't know it's a traffic circle maybe you could make some of those mistakes, but even if they were rare in the US before 1990, I still came across them from time to time. Probably none in my county but there were enough around the state that I was in the car when my mom went through one and got enough of the gist from that. And if you aren't experienced with them you might be hesitant but I can't imagine anyone on a properly marked and signed road thinking that you could cut into the oncoming traffic lane to make a left. Seems like they just opened the road to traffic before they should have.

Warren

Post by Warren »

I can't even. Signage or no, anyone that shifts into the left lane on a two lane road needs to have their license revoked.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

They're clearly seeing medians splitting the road...and going into the left-hand side. WTF.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Highway

Post by Highway »

Yeah, they're definitely crossing the yellow lines, because they didn't repave that, and the lines are still going to be there. And a road like that is going to need to be open to traffic throughout construction. There's nowhere else to use for a detour. They may not have all the signs up. It's actually surprising how over-signed a lot of roundabouts are. We counted one in Maryland at an intersection of 2 2-lane roads that had over 30 signs. But there should have been something up, even a temporary sign.

There's another article I read about it, where the locals are all worried that they can't get their boats and campers through there without having ever seen it, or seen a roundabout at all. And really, just from that clip it looks like exactly why you'd put in a roundabout: where you have a low volume of overall traffic (the article said 4000 vehicles per day through the intersection, probably a peak around 500 per hour) but a high percentage of lefts. And on top of that, a lot of the lefts are people towing those boats and campers, because there's a big lake just south of that intersection (in the direction that the people going the wrong way are turning).

I do like how you can see from that overhead drone footage just how little extra pavement was needed to make it a roundabout. Most of the extra pavement is shoulder area for those long vehicles they were talking about.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Highway wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 20:31 Most of the extra pavement is shoulder area for those long vehicles they were talking about.
And so you can pull over when someone makes a left in front of you.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Auckland man spraypaints dicks on potholes to get them filled faster
According to Stuff, the potholes often remain unfilled despite Upson’s drawings. They would usually get fixed, however, whenever the phallic graffiti became the subject of media reports.

A spokesperson from Auckland Transport said in April that they are reporting the “culprit” behind the “graffiti” to the police, and will be charging for the cost of paint removal, local news outlet NZ Autocar reported.

“The person responsible has placed themselves at risk, as well as potentially causing a safety risk and a distraction for other drivers,” they said.

Upson said that he was at the local police station Friday to give a formal statement “with regards to some of [his] drawings,” adding that he’s been “fully cooperative with the police officers doing their job.”
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Shem

Post by Shem »

Article makes some good arguments as to why trains are a terrible idea and we should focus on other methods (especially more and better roads), but this
The differences in infrastructure requirements explain why air travel costs so much less than rail travel.
Is incomprehensible coming from Cato. Federal subsidies and support in maintaining infrastructure is literally the only thing preventing armageddon for many if not most passenger airlines. To say nothing of the subsides to the companies like Boeing who build the things. Do they really not notice the massive corporate welfare, or do they not care?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Shem wrote: 05 May 2021, 23:22 Article makes some good arguments as to why trains are a terrible idea and we should focus on other methods (especially more and better roads), but this
The differences in infrastructure requirements explain why air travel costs so much less than rail travel.
Is incomprehensible coming from Cato. Federal subsidies and support in maintaining infrastructure is literally the only thing preventing armageddon for many if not most passenger airlines. To say nothing of the subsides to the companies like Boeing who build the things. Do they really not notice the massive corporate welfare, or do they not care?
Fair point. Truth is there are no forms of transportation short of maybe walking that aren't subsidized one way or the other. Texas is all gung-ho -- no surprise -- for high speed rail between Dallas and Houston and it's idiotic. Between Southwest and private aviation, not to mention 80 mph speed limits that are rarely enforced, who the hell needs to get to and from either place by rail? And it's going to be an endless money pit that makes the right good old boys even richer at public expense.