Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 19647
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by lunchstealer »

Dunno too much but the word among the ex-Reasonoid twitter that I've seen is she finally went too far for their tastes in criticizing Trump.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/anti-canc ... anti-trump
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 26893
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by Jennifer »

The columnist’s ouster comes as the magazine has taken heat from some libertarians and former employees, including Washington Post columnist and reporter Radley Balko, for what they perceive to be the magazine’s peculiar Trump-era positioning: Not overtly pro-Trump by any stretch, but apparently more focused on belittling, dismissing, or ignoring the left’s concerns about the president’s autocratic impulses than on actively repudiating his abusive governance—instead seeming to reserve its most unequivocal condemnations for campus PC and cancel-culture gripes.
Can't argue with that.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 31123
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 12:32 Dunno too much but the word among the ex-Reasonoid twitter that I've seen is she finally went too far for their tastes in criticizing Trump.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/anti-canc ... anti-trump
UHG! This thing about "If you don't want all the GND you're a Climate Denier", "If you're in favor of any regulation at all of firearms you want to take my guns", "If you don't scream TRUMP MAN BAD at the top of your lungs every day you're Pro Trump".

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 26893
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by Jennifer »

Did you actually read the article, Warren?
As a Reason employee, Dalmia regularly wrote columns for the magazine which also often ran at The Week, seemingly as part of the libertarian organization’s effort to advance its ideas via outside publications. (Dalmia has previously published columns at Bloomberg View, Washington Examiner, and The Daily Beast.)

Curiously, however, over the past few months, several of Dalmia’s columns were published at The Week but never appeared on her home base at Reason, including a column suggesting Trump is, in fact, a bigger statist than Joe Biden; a column outlining the libertarian case for voting for Biden; and a column criticizing the hypocrisy of conservative “cancel culture” alarmists “forgetting that right-wingers themselves have been its main practitioners through most of American history.”
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 21265
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Isn't she the one who was having the affair with Gillespie? Not that it matters.

I dunno. If that were the motive cause, then letting her go at the end of the Trump administration seems, well, oddly timed. Do Reason's faux-libertarian readers think she or the magazine itself would continue to be doing Trump stories for the next four years? Not that they're not crazy enough to think so, but I have every confidence Reason will be going after the Biden administration's actually less libertarian policies for the foreseeable future, happy to see that Trump no long sucks the oxygen out of every news cycle.

As for Dalmia's work appearing outside Reason, that's par for the course. Sullum, Bailey, Dougherty, etc. all publish frequently elsewhere. Hell, Sullum has a syndicated column. So that "seemingly as a part..." is silly. Reason hires writers with libertarian perspectives but its staff is free to pick up outside work as long as whatever minimum contribution per week or month their contract requires.

So, since this is all idle speculation on our part, I'd gather there's more or something else to it. What it is, I have no idea.
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 31123
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 13:09 So, since this is all idle speculation on our part, I'd gather there's more or something else to it. What it is, I have no idea.
*nods* So far the story doesn't add up. We'll see what shakes loose in the coming days, if anything does. It's unsettling though.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 31585
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by thoreau »

So, they kept other pro-immigration and anti-Trump writers, and fired the one who was possibly having an affair with someone at the office? An office affair should not be a firing offense on its own (unless a supervisor abused their position) but it's often a sign of messy office politics. I wouldn't assume too much about the affair itself, but I'd assume some messy office politics before I'd assume that Reason has gone anti-immigration.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 31123
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by Warren »

If this was about the office affair, they'd have fired The Jacket.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 31585
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by thoreau »

Warren wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 14:49 If this was about the office affair, they'd have fired The Jacket.
If it's about the affair itself, yeah.

If there's generally messy office politics, who knows?
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 31123
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by Warren »

*sigh*
My jokes require a deadpan delivery.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 26893
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by Jennifer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 13:09 As for Dalmia's work appearing outside Reason, that's par for the course.
Sure, but for those particular columns of hers to suddenly stop appearing in Reason does seem odd.

FWIW, I remember when Balko tweeted his complaint about Reason spending more ink sneering at those who worry about Trump than about Trump himself (despite all the anti-Trump work they have done), and agreed with it then too.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 15837
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by Eric the .5b »

There may be some messy internal politics afoot to explain the firing.

The problem for Reason is that they've spent the last four years corroding their credibility on the subject in order to chase an audience of Trumpkins and those people who will never say that they're pro-Trump, but who sure aren't anti-Trump and are damn well anti-anti-Trump and loud about it. They've been soft on a populist who's a would-be autocrat, which I think is a fatal mistake for a libertarian magazine*. If I could bring myself to believe in libertarian ideas spreading except by accident, I'd be enraged at how much Reason has discredited and undermined that.

(Sure, they can point to some criticisms of Trump they've published, but they have to cherry-pick to do so. DIdn't have to do that during the GWB years. Like I said before, they took the wrong lesson from the Obama election.)

Citing Postrel in discussions of Reason's quality is an old joke, but Postrel's tweets on the subject are worthwhile, and this one is damning:







* In that I think it's a death-knell to them remaining a libertarian magazine. The magazine probably won't die, it'll just evolve into whatever passes for "conservative" in future years.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 19647
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by lunchstealer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 13:09 Isn't she the one who was having the affair with Gillespie? Not that it matters.

I dunno. If that were the motive cause, then letting her go at the end of the Trump administration seems, well, oddly timed. Do Reason's faux-libertarian readers think she or the magazine itself would continue to be doing Trump stories for the next four years? Not that they're not crazy enough to think so, but I have every confidence Reason will be going after the Biden administration's actually less libertarian policies for the foreseeable future, happy to see that Trump no long sucks the oxygen out of every news cycle.

As for Dalmia's work appearing outside Reason, that's par for the course. Sullum, Bailey, Dougherty, etc. all publish frequently elsewhere. Hell, Sullum has a syndicated column. So that "seemingly as a part..." is silly. Reason hires writers with libertarian perspectives but its staff is free to pick up outside work as long as whatever minimum contribution per week or month their contract requires.

So, since this is all idle speculation on our part, I'd gather there's more or something else to it. What it is, I have no idea.
Yup, I'm not all in on "it was teh trumps!" but curious. I've always had a mixed view of her stuff, but her immigration and anti-authoritarian pieces are usually quite good. I doubt the Reason comment chuds could affect hiring/firing so if it was too-anti-trump it could be a donor thing. I'd be surprised if KMW were to decide it was against Reason's editorial policy. But now that they bring in real money they may not be as fiercely independent as they were when Postrel was running the better Hit & Run.

Could just be internal politics. Reeeeeeally wish they had been a little more consistent in their Trump criticism. There is a little too much trend even amongst 'good' libertarians to see Trump primarily through his hostility to regulations and to the original Iraq war. Then I'd feel more comfortable saying it's just office shenanigans.

ETA - Yeah Postrel's tweet is what I was thinking of.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 31123
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by Warren »

Eric the .5b wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 17:52 The problem for Reason is that they've spent the last four years corroding their credibility on the subject in order to chase an audience of Trumpkins and those people who will never say that they're pro-Trump, but who sure aren't anti-Trump and are damn well anti-anti-Trump and loud about it.
:roll: Oh please.
lunchstealer wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 17:59 But now that they bring in real money they may not be as fiercely independent as they were when Postrel was running the better Hit & Run.
FTR H&R wasn't a thing till Gillespie's tenure.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 19647
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 18:28
lunchstealer wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 17:59 But now that they bring in real money they may not be as fiercely independent as they were when Postrel was running the better Hit & Run.
FTR H&R wasn't a thing till Gillespie's tenure.
YOU EXPLAINED THE JOKE!

Image
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 15837
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by Eric the .5b »

Warren wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 18:28:roll: Oh please.
Just like the randos on Twitter who reply nothing more than "That isn't true!", you've got a profound and convincing argument there.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 31123
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by Warren »

Eric the .5b wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 18:35
Warren wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 18:28:roll: Oh please.
Just like the randos on Twitter who reply nothing more than "That isn't true!", you've got a profound and convincing argument there.
It's as convincing as yours
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 15837
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by Eric the .5b »

Warren wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 18:59
Eric the .5b wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 18:35
Warren wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 18:28:roll: Oh please.
Just like the randos on Twitter who reply nothing more than "That isn't true!", you've got a profound and convincing argument there.
It's as convincing as yours
*shrug* If you say so.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
User avatar
Mo
Posts: 25919
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by Mo »

I think something like this could show where there’s a difference between Dalmia’s critique of Trump and some other writers.



A lot of writers will do the both sides thing, while Shikha has no problem saying Trump is uniquely bad. Like if Joey Knuckles breaks your leg for not paying your debt that’s bad, but it’s not fair to say he’s bad in the same way that Fat Donnie is if Fat Donnie fits you up with concrete shoes for the same offense.

And Radley’s point about Reason rarely firing staff is worth noting as well.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 15837
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by Eric the .5b »

Couldn't be because of an affair. Gillespie's clearly way too married to the both-sides-same-bad narrative.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 26893
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by Jennifer »

Shit, I'd forgotten all about this:

"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 31123
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by Warren »

Voting for Obama/Biden didn't get anybody canned. Not wanting to be critical of whatever administration is currently seated is certainly sufficient cause.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 26893
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by Jennifer »

Warren wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 09:32 Voting for Obama/Biden didn't get anybody canned. Not wanting to be critical of whatever administration is currently seated is certainly sufficient cause.
You're saying Weigel refused to criticize Obama while at Reason?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 21265
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Oddly enough, Reason and other advocacy journals are the only places journalists might acceptably state whom they voted for and Reason annually asks its staff their voting intentions. I don't know Matt Welch or David Weigel (or any of them other than Bailey, actually) but one could sense discontent between Weigel and Reason for some time before his departure. I suspect Julian Sanchez was let go, too, not because he lacked talent or was insufficiently libertarian for the donors but because he didn't like writing pieces for popular consumption, so he's better off having landed at Cato. Anyway, this palace intrigue is mildly interesting, but just as I long ago gave up reading comments at their site, I typically only glance at the site a few times a week to see if there's something that catches my eye.
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 31123
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Reason fires Shikha Dalmia

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 11:41 Reason and other advocacy journals are the only places journalists might acceptably state whom they voted for
Acceptable to whom?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Post Reply